We are building a cadre of commercial talent in all Government departments; people who can manage our commercial portfolios, who can lead our most complex and novel programmes and projects, people who have the gravitas and depth of experience to work alongside our policy and operational leaders to develop innovative commercial arrangements, whether through joint ventures, outsourcing or best-in-class contracts.
The Government Commercial Organisation is an employer which is truly committed to creating a welcoming, inclusive workplace where all our people are able to bring their whole selves to work and are able to perform to their potential. We understand the importance of diversity and inclusion and strive for a workplace that reflects the communities which we serve. We especially welcome applications from underrepresented groups including Black, Asian and Minority Ethnic (BAME) candidates, candidates with a disability and candidates with gender-diverse identities. Appointments will be made on merit on the basis of fair and open competition.
We have already made significant progress through the establishment of the Government Commercial Organisation (GCO), our single employer of senior commercial talent across government. This role will sit within the GCO, but based in our Ministry of Defence commercial team delivering departmental objectives.
The post holder will have particular responsibility for building strong partnerships with the Customer and the SDC Supplier and their Supply Chain to ensure the success of the contract and to deliver value for money for the MoD. They will lead the day-to-day engagement with the SDC contractor(s) as a key Head Office commercial representative.
This is a real opportunity to demonstrate how Commercial Contract Management can develop relationships that enable improved service delivery, drive contract performance and enable innovation or new ways of working.
Whilst the focus of this role is contract management, there will be the opportunity to lead on the re-procurement of parts of the existing contract. Therefore it is likely that candidates will require full commercial life cycle experience to succeed in the role.
- Provide Commercial oversight, advice and guidance to support the customer with the on-going management and performance of SDC Supplier & Supply Chain;
- Support the Senior Commercial Lead with the development of the Commercial SDC team to ensure effective commercial support, building on best practice and embracing new ways of working;
- From a Commercial perspective, track the progress of the SDC Transformation activities, which are aligned to a contractually agreed milestone achievement and payment regime – ensuring relevant remediation activities are undertaken if needed;
- Evaluate data and uses market knowledge to identify arising risks, share insight and advise on performance- related risk management measures;
- Identify dependencies and associated responses, ensuring the contract continues to meet its objectives, and sharing learning. Agree measures to manage consequences to supplier when the Authority is unable to meet dependencies;
- support the customer to fully understand how they can extract best value from the contract and supplier and promote commercial awareness across non-commercial elements of the contract management team;
- Draw on best practice to set strategy and processes, driving continuous improvement;
- Provide strategic oversight by assessing the contract performance against organisational objectives to ensure benefit realisation;
- Working with business stakeholders in due course, plan and execute the SDC re-tendering strategy – taking into account the desired endpoint of a disaggregated Military Personnel and Veterans service provision model.
- Actively participate in the Strategic Governance processes, and broader supporting operational activities, for the SDC contract;
We’ll assess you against these technical skills during the selection process:
- Manages Complexity: Experience managing significant complex contractual agreements through the full contract lifecycle.
- Commercial Focus: Full commercial lifecycle experience that has delivered great value for money solutions as well as great outcomes for the end customers.
- Resilient: The ability to deal with challenging commercial situations, to find effective commercial solutions and to resolve disputes.
- Builds Relationships: Ability to influence senior stakeholders. An excellent communicator, with consultative skills and the gravitas to build credible peer relationships with decision makers in a complex and strategic commercial environment
- Supplier Management: The ability to work effectively with key suppliers, proven experience finding common ground with suppliers and improving relationships which enhance the provision of services.
Closing Date: 27th April 2021
- Address Gosport, London
- Salary Offer £61,710 - £74,000 Up to 15% performance-related-pay available on accreditation