The number one newspaper in Scotland is looking for an experienced sub editor to join our award-winning team.
You will be a wizard with words, with the flair to bring dull copy to life and write smart, punchy headlines. You will deliver tight, accurate and clean copy for the best-known newsbrand in the country.
The successful candidate will be responsible for editing news, features, magazine and commercial articles and pages primarily for print products, ensuring the content is well written, accurate, balanced, legally sound, entertaining and informative. As our print and digital desks integrate you will be required to work across all our titles and platforms.
- Ensure the typography, grammar and spelling in news and features articles for print and digital products are correct and stories fit the space allocated on the page.
- Edit and rewrite copy from staff, agencies and other sources, ensuring the stories are easy to read, factual, clear, balanced, entertaining and informative.
- Write accurate, and entertaining headlines and captions.
- Gather content from a variety of sources to create articles, where necessary, under the guidance of senior colleagues.
- Ensure stories are as up to date as possible by incorporating breaking developments after the articles have left the content desk.
- Extensive experience of sub-editing news and features content
- Possess the ability to turn complicated facts and events into easy-to-read, informative, well-written stories and features.
- Ability to write accurate, attention-grabbing headlines.
- A detailed knowledge of Scottish law in relation to the media, in particular, defamation, contempt of court, the privacy laws and familiarity with IPSO Editor’s Code of Practice
- Demonstrate a sound knowledge of current affairs, particularly within Scotland but also for the UK and internationally
So, who are we?
The Daily Record is part of Reach Plc. You might not have heard of us but we have probably met without you even realising it. We are home to Scotland and the UK’s most iconic digital platforms, magazines and newspapers. From the Daily Record and Sunday Mail to the Scottish Daily Express, Glasgow Live, Edinburgh Live and OK!. We also own a huge number of regional titles across the UK such as the Paisley Daily Express, Ayrshire Post, Liverpool Echo, BirminghamLive and the Manchester Evening News (plus lots more). Our brands and the stories we cover are as varied as our people. We help all kinds of people share experiences through our stories because we believe this is what makes us human. Oh, and we should probably also mention that with a monthly readership of 47 million people, Reach is the largest commercial publisher in the UK. At Reach, not only will you feel better understood, you will also feel you understand other people better too.
- 35 days holiday
- Contributory pension scheme
- Simply Health Healthcare Cashplan
- Free wellbeing apps and coaching support
- Holiday purchase scheme
- and lots of high street discounts!
Reach plc believes diversity brings benefits for our customers, our business and our people. This is why we are committed to being an inclusive employer and encourage applications from all suitable applicants irrespective of background, circumstances, age, disability, gender identity, ethnicity, religion or belief and sexual orientation.