We are building a cadre of commercial talent in all Government departments; people who can manage our commercial portfolios, who can lead our most complex and novel programmes and projects, people who have the gravitas and depth of experience to work alongside our policy and operational leaders to develop innovative commercial arrangements, whether through joint ventures, outsourcing or best-in-class contracts.
The Government Commercial Organisation is an employer which is truly committed to creating a welcoming, inclusive workplace where all our people are able to bring their whole selves to work and are able to perform to their potential. We understand the importance of diversity and inclusion and strive for a workplace that reflects the communities which we serve. We especially welcome applications from underrepresented groups including Black, Asian and Minority Ethnic (BAME) candidates, candidates with a disability and candidates with gender-diverse identities. Appointments will be made on merit on the basis of fair and open competition.
We have already made significant progress through the establishment of the Government Commercial Organisation (GCO), our single employer of senior commercial talent across government. This role will sit within the GCO, but based in our DIT commercial team delivering departmental objectives.
- Fostering and managing strategic sponsor relationships with UK businesses;
- Supporting the effective delivery of HMG’s global campaigns ;
- Building sponsorship understanding, capability and governance across HMG;
This Sponsorship Lead will have responsibility for implementing and delivering against the Global Sponsorship Team strategy, meeting ambitious sales targets and building impactful partnerships. This is a sales target-driven role where you will be actively establishing new sales leads and closing new business.
Working across the UK Government, and with senior private sector stakeholders, including at CEO level, you will work on some of the most high-profile government and business events that take place both in the UK and overseas.
As a member of the Government Commercial Function and operating within DIT Commercial, you will play a leading role in the team, actively supporting colleagues to deliver against team objectives, representing the team at a senior level and promoting our sponsorship offering to wider government and industry.
To be successful in this position we anticipate the right candidate will need to have:-
- Strong commercial acumen combined with a strategic, consultative sales approach;
- A Proven track record of success in a B2B or sponsorship sales environment with excellent presentation and negotiation abilities;
- An in-depth knowledge of sponsorship and the role it plays in the marketing mix;
- An ability to identify, build and maintain relationships with new and existing sponsors and business partnerships, generating income and developing the government’s profile.
Amongst the main responsibilities will be :-
- To lead high-value sponsorship sales activity and take responsibility for revenue across several key sectors and events from rights packaging and lead generation to contract negotiation, working with the legal team to agree sponsorship contracts;
- To research and map the market, developing creative contact strategies to identify and connect with key decision makers and influencers within target accounts;
- To create and present compelling proposals to prospects, communicating effectively as a government representative;
- To manage the internal event client relationship including reporting and providing insight;
- To be responsible for establishing, developing and maintaining effective collaboration with cross-functional project teams across DIT, Whitehall and across the wider public / private sectors;
- To contribute to the development of sponsorship strategy, policy, governance and processes.
Due to the nature of our work International sales experience would be advantageous.
We’ll assess you against these technical skills during the selection process:
- Commercial Focus – Strong commercial acumen combined with a strategic, consultative sales approach alongside an understanding of procurement and contract management principles.
- Market Insight – An in-depth knowledge of sponsorship and the role it plays in the marketing mix.
- Assertive – Independent, assertive and an appetite for self-starting. The ability to deliver results autonomously, within a framework of support, guidance and championing from senior colleagues.
- Manages Complexity – Confident working in a fast-paced, complex & changing environment with a consistent focus on delivery.
- Builds Relationships – Ability to identify, build and maintain relationships with new and existing sponsors and business partnerships, generating income and developing the government’s profile.
Closing Date: Wednesday 12th May 2021
- Address London, international travel required
- Salary Offer £61,710 - £74,000 GCO Pension, GCO Terms- up to 15% performance-related-pay available on accreditation.