About this role
Capital One is seeking an experienced Software Engineering Manager to join our Services team in London.
You will be part of a world class team helping to build out the future of our native mobile offerings.
We are looking for highly experienced and driven engineers that can guide a team by example to deliver best-in-class software to our customers. Your passion for software craftsmanship and innovation for our customers means you’re always looking to gain experience with new platforms and languages and have a keen eye for what’s coming next.
We always encourage personal development through 10% of your time on training courses, sponsored professional development and attending conferences. We’ll also give you the latest tech to help you on your way and make sure you’re generously rewarded. As well as an attractive bonus, pension scheme and private medical insurance, you can look forward to a host of other benefits too.
What you’ll do
- You’ll support a cross-functional group of engineers to design, develop and integrate software features that are delightful and vital to the lives of credit card consumers across all walks of life
- Coach and nurture your engineers on how to achieve their technical, business and personal goals
- Collaborate with product managers and designers to deliver features on the product roadmap
- Build platforms that are performant, reliable, scalable and secure
- Enhance the engineering and agile delivery processes with the team
What we’re looking for
- You’ll have experience in leading and supporting an engineering team to achieve business goals
- You’ll have excellent knowledge of RESTful API development in a modern OO language such as Java or .Net
- You’re comfortable in reaching technical trade-offs between short-term team and long-term business needs
- You’re passionate about recruiting and developing great engineering talent
- You’ll demonstrate the ability to communicate effectively and work together across engineering to maximise inner-sourcing opportunities and reduce waste
Where and how you’ll work
This is a permanent position and will be based in our London office. We’ve adopted a flexible hybrid working model – one that creates the opportunity to work in your own way, but also provides great spaces for in-person collaboration.
Our core in-the-office days are Tuesday to Thursday, but they aren’t mandatory – you’ll be led by your team, the type of work you do and of course your preferences. Many of our team have flexible working patterns so we’re open to discuss flexible working arrangements with you.
You can read more about the full announcement from our Founder and CEO Rich Fairbank here: Update on CapitalOne.com
What’s in it for you
- Bring us all this – and you’ll be handsomely rewarded with a role contributing to the product roadmap for an organisation committed to transformation
- We’re continuing our journey into the public cloud and have problems of scale, security, availability and performance for you to help solve
- We love continuous learning and that’s why we give you 10% of your time to work on cutting edge innovative projects that shape the way we will work in the future
- We offer high performers strong and diverse career progression, investing heavily in developing great people through our Capital One University training programmes (and appropriate external providers)
- Immediate access to our core benefits including pension scheme, bonus, generous holiday entitlement and private medical insurance – with flexible benefits available including season-ticket loans, cycle to work scheme and enhanced parental leave
- Open-plan workspaces and facilities designed to inspire and support you. Our Nottingham head-office has a fully-serviced gym, subsidised restaurant, mindfulness and music rooms. In London, you can heighten your mood with a run on our rooftop running track or an espresso at the Workshop Coffee café
- Find out more through our UK careers site (http://www.capitalonecareers.co.uk/) or by exploring the @IAmCapitalOne Twitter tag
What you should know about how we recruit
We pride ourselves on hiring the best people, not the same people. Building diverse and inclusive teams is the right thing to do and the smart thing to do. We want to work with top talent: whoever you are, whatever you look like, wherever you come from. We know it’s about what you do, not just what you say. That’s why we make our recruitment process fair and accessible. And we offer benefits that attract people at all ages and stages.
We also partner with organisations including the Women in Finance and Race At Work Charters, Stonewall and upReach to find people from every walk of life and help them thrive with us. We have a whole host of internal networks and support groups you could be involved in, to name a few:
- REACH – Race Equality and Culture Heritage group focuses on representation, retention and engagement for associates from minority ethnic groups and allies
- OutFront – to provide LGBTQ+ support for all associates
- Mind Your Mind – signposting support and promoting positive mental wellbeing for all
- Women in Tech – promoting an inclusive environment in tech
- EmpowHER – network of female associates and allies focusing on developing future leaders, particularly for female talent in our industry
- Address London, UK
- Salary Offer Competitive