Direct Line Group is an ambitious company employing thousands of people throughout the UK. We’re proud to be one of Britain’s leading general insurers, offering millions of customers decades of experience and knowledge. In the history of modern insurance, there has never been a bigger time for change than now and we work hard to make sure our well-known brands –Direct Line, Churchill, Privilege, NIG and Green Flag are making insurance easier and better value for our customers. We know we can’t do this without our brilliant people who we reward for ideas and thinking as well as results because that’s how we can achieve amazing things – for our customers and for each other.
What we’re looking for:
You will typically spend up to 50% of their time dealing with the daily care and feeding of our current software applications. They will spend the rest of their time working programs from implementing new business functionality to assist any of the DLG business and brands.
You will have a deep knowledge of the application, the code, how it runs, how it is configured, and the scales. That knowledge is what makes them so valuable at also monitoring and supporting it as a Site Reliability Engineer.
Who you’ll be working with:
Sitting within Application Development and Maintenance (AD&M) we provide a number of services within Technology Services (TS), including end to end testing and Application Maintenance support services to ensure high availability of systems.
What you’ll be doing:
You will be the link between Infrastructure and Development with a hands-on approach and an excellent coder. You will provide a DevOps capability model that enables rapid continuous integration and deployment of application change and have an oversight and governance of all changes across the environment.
Some key focuses will be;
- Dedicatedly monitor and review application performance
- Handle on-call and emergency support
- Ensure software has good logging and diagnostics
- Create and maintain operational runbooks
- Work on feature requests, defects and other development tasks
- Contribute to overall product roadmap
- Expertise within at least one core infrastructure software component, either Middleware (Websphere / Tomcat / Apache), Database (Oracle) or application software Java.
- Analytical and Problem-Solving Skills, with the ability to come up with practical solutions within a production environment in a time critical environment.
- Application Logging (best practices and exception handling) as well as monitoring (i.e. AppDynamics, Grafana, Kibana, , DataDog, New Relic, Prometheus, Splunk, Logz.io, Graylog) and diagnostics skills
- Automation implementations.
What we’ll give you:
Come join us and you’ll find yourself in the middle of one of the most on-the-go teams in the business, with autonomy and exposure to industry leaders on huge household brand names. We’re always encouraging internal development and you’ll have access to loads of learning opportunities, events and conferences to build your industry knowledge.
Direct Line Group are an equal opportunity employer who value diversity. We do not discriminate and we recognise and embrace that people work in different ways. We will always adapt so you have the best and most comfortable working environment. If during the recruitment process you require any reasonable adjustments, please just let us know.
Life at Direct Line Group
Let our colleagues answer your questions and tell you what it’s really like to work at DLG. Visit our discussion hub (https://directlinegroupcareers.career-inspiration.com/app/home/) to find out why Direct Line Group is a special place to work.
Career benefits and rewards
Rewarding you is really important to us, as well as offering a competitive salary and generous holiday entitlement; you can take advantage of a wide range of benefits. The best part is you can pick and choose the benefits to suit your own lifestyle, but also pass on some of the savings to family and friends. Here are just a few we have on offer:
- A competitive salary, benchmarked against our competitors, which will grow as you do.
- Pension 9% of your base salary, you can choose to contribute less or more than this, and anything you don’t wish to put in to your pension you can take as cash instead!
- Private medical insurance (anyone can choose this through our flexible benefits scheme, and managers receive this as standard)
- Attractive holiday entitlement
- 50% off our Home, Motor and Pet insurance
- Free Travel insurance
- Free Green Flag breakdown cover
- Flexible rewards including Life insurance, income protection, critical illness insurance, personal accident insurance
- Retail card, with discounts at big name retailers
- My Discounts – a discounts website for all our employees, with great discounts, cash back savings and offers across hundreds of brilliant high street brands, travel, tickets, gym memberships and much more.
Who we are
Direct Line Group is an organisation with a clear mission: to make insurance much easier and better value for customers. We are one of the leading motor, home and small business insurers in the UK. We are home to some of the nation’s best-known brands, including Direct Line, Churchill, Privilege, Green Flag and NIG.