We are building a cadre of commercial talent in all Government departments; people who can manage our commercial portfolios, who can lead our most complex and novel programmes and projects, people who have the gravitas and depth of experience to work alongside our policy and operational leaders to develop innovative commercial arrangements, whether through joint ventures, outsourcing or best-in-class contracts.
The Government Commercial Organisation is an employer which is truly committed to creating a welcoming, inclusive workplace where all our people are able to bring their whole selves to work and are able to perform to their potential. We understand the importance of diversity and inclusion and strive for a workplace that reflects the communities which we serve. We especially welcome applications from underrepresented groups including Black, Asian and Minority Ethnic (BAME) candidates, candidates with a disability and candidates with gender-diverse identities. Appointments will be made on merit on the basis of fair and open competition.
We have already made significant progress through the establishment of the Government Commercial Organisation (GCO), our single employer of senior commercial talent across government. This role will sit within the GCO, but based in our DWP commercial team delivering departmental objectives.
The post holder will provide commercial advice, leadership and guidance to senior DWP stakeholders across a large portfolio of work in Digital Group, working to challenging timescales; delivering core IT services as well as supporting transformation activities.
The post holder will lead the delivery of IT procurements for services and resources plus manage contracts and suppliers delivering outcomes to in accordance with the DWP commercial operating model.
- Lead on commercial sourcing strategies and the pipeline delivery of commercial contracts across the Digital portfolio, ensuring continuity of service and timely delivery of new requirements and IT services;
- Commercial management of strategic suppliers (existing and new), building positive relationships that address strategies and deliver effective performance management;
- Build category expertise and knowledge to deliver category plans and strategies that deliver high quality commercial procurement outcomes, whilst ensuring value for money and meeting operational imperatives;
- Lead a diverse team of commercial colleagues ensuring commercial capability and skills are built and developed empowering people through coaching, mentoring and sharing expertise/knowledge;
- Deliver an annually agreed savings target for the category portfolio and to achieve this target through performance management of staff, suppliers and working collaboratively with stakeholders;
- Proven resilience and political astuteness in managing senior stakeholders, influencing to deliver commercial outcomes;
- Develop and nurture relationships across government so that the DWP’s commercial interests are represented effectively at all times and the Department is getting maximum opportunities to leverage spend and commercial position across Government.
We’ll assess you against these technical skills during the selection process:
- Risk Mindset – Able to utilise risk management and collaboration to deliver effective results at pace that balance optimal commercial performance whilst delivering on business strategy within a large complex function and organisation;
- Commercial Focus – Ability to define a commercial outcome from conception to delivery, clearly articulating the benefits, opportunities and risks, whilst delivering business focused results;
- Builds Relationships – Experience of delivering an extensive and wide-ranging pipeline of procurement activity, influencing senior stakeholders, delivering innovation and ensuring continuity;
- Coaching Manager – Proven experience of managing commercial teams, building capability through coaching, leadership in challenging circumstances, supporting staff to promote wellbeing and resilience and maintaining delivery;
- Procurement Process – Demonstrates knowledge of working across the Procurement lifecycle, adept at creating commercial strategies, knowledge of regulatory requirements, managing risk whilst delivering value for money;
- Contract and Supply Management – Experience of resolving disputes or poor performance on strategic contracts through effective supplier and stakeholder engagement and communication, leading to a positive outcome.
Closing Date: Sunday 18th April 2021
- Address Manchester or Blackpool with travel to various locations.
- Salary Offer £70,176 - £96,909 GCO Pension, GCO Terms. Up to 15% performance-related-pay available on accreditation.