Senior Hospital Contracts Manager
Location – Staines or Salford Quays
Flexible working options – 1 – 2 days WFH
Competitive salary, plus bonus and car allowance
Full Time – 37.5 hours
Here you’ll be welcomed. We champion diversity and we understand the importance of our people representing the communities and customers we serve. You’ll find an inclusive environment where you can be yourself and where everyone is driven by the same purpose – helping people live longer, healthier, happier lives.
Our purpose has never been more important than during Covid-19. Our approach to keeping our people, customers, visitors and patients safe is clinically-led and in line with public health guidance.
We’ve implemented effective remote working/interviewing and safety measures across all our offices, care homes and clinical locations and we will continue to review our operating practices as the situation changes.
Bupa is the largest provider of private medical insurance in the UK and spends circa £900m pa for care provided to our members by over 800 hospitals and clinics. One of Bupa’s key goals is to provide readily accessible, high quality, affordable healthcare for our members. To that end the Hospital Management team actively works with hospitals to optimise services provided, improve quality and patient experience, and maximise value for our members.
An excellent opportunity has arisen for a Senior Hospital Contracts Manager to join our Hospital Management Team. The Senior Hospital Contract Manager is accountable all aspects of strategy & plans, service development, negotiations, contract compliance and provider performance for hospitals within their portfolio. This is a pivotal role managing critical relationships with a portfolio of hospitals on behalf of Bupa. The Senior Manager is responsible for leading and developing a high performing team of Hospital Management professionals and will also lead a number of healthcare reform initiatives across all providers on behalf of the wider Healthcare Management team.
What you’ll do:
- You will be accountable for performance of a portfolio of circa 20 to 30 hospitals providers comprising circa £200m to £300m spend pa;
- Lead key healthcare reform initiatives on behalf of the wider Healthcare Management team, shaping solutions, driving delivery through provider management teams and wider UK Market Unit where necessary, actively managing realisation of benefits;
- Translate Bupa Hospital Management strategy into clear hospital specific plans, developing these with hospitals, seeking input and approval from key stakeholders within Bupa as required;
- You would also plan, lead and execute effective negotiations and tenders with hospitals to deliver agreements that meet Bupa’s strategic goals, financial targets and maximise value for Bupa members;
- Lead, manage and develop a high performing team (3 to 5 individuals) to achieve targets and goals within the portfolio of hospitals;
- Build effective relationships with hospital providers necessary to ensure delivery of Bupa’s goals;
- Scan externally to identify new developments in healthcare commissioning/contracting, promoting discussion within the hospital management team on adoption within Bupa;
- Establish robust contracts and pricing schedules with hospitals that allow Bupa to effectively manage costs, quality and patient experience.
What you’ll bring:
- Highly analytical and commercial experience. Works with large data sets to identify trends, issues and opportunities and to model impact of solutions on customers and the business;
- Systematic approach to managing own workload and projects, prioritising competing demands from multiple stakeholders;
- Track record of rapid and successful delivery of performance improvements in a challenging environment, working with third party providers;
- Able to challenge constructively, resolve conflict/ issues productively and hold Bupa position on critical issues;
- Extensive experience of planning and delivering negotiations with third parties to agree complex contracts, addressing conflicting priorities and securing favourable outcomes;
- Forward thinking. Able to identify risks, issues, opportunities early and develop and then deliver effective solutions.
- Strong team player, focussed on delivering own objectives while enabling / supporting others to deliver theirs.
- Capable team manager able to coach others to build on strengths and improve on weaknesses, give and listen to regular, honest feedback.
- Educated to degree level, membership of professional procurement qualification or equivalent practical experience.
- Experience of healthcare desirable or other complex, multi service line environment essential.
We are a health insurer and provider. With no shareholders, our customers are our focus. We reinvest our profits into providing more and better healthcare for the benefit of current and future customers.
Our benefits are driven by what matters to our people. It’s important to us that these benefits support a work-life balance that keeps people healthy, both mentally and physically. As a Senior Hospital Contracts Manager, you’ll be eligible for:
- Competitive Salary & benefits package (which includes bonus, car allowance, pension)
- 25 days holiday, increasing through length of service, with option to buy or sell
- Bupa medical insurance for you and your family as a benefit in kind
- Free health assessment for you and your spouse
Diversity and Inclusion
Bupa is committed to making sure that every applicant is assessed solely on personal merit and qualifications. We actively celebrate the diversity of our colleagues and provide an inclusive environment so you can bring your true self to Bupa. We’ll make sure you are treated fairly regardless of disability or circumstance. That’s why we’re happy to offer reasonable adjustments as part of our recruitment process to anyone that needs them.
Whether you’ve found your feet or are discovering a new path.
Welcome to a place that celebrates you.
This isn’t where you’ve been.
This is where you’re going.
This is what we have belief in.
For further information about this Senior Hospital Contracts Manager role, please contact Zoe Allen, Executive Recruitment Partner.
- Salary Offer Competitive salary & benefits package