|Position||Senior EV Technical and Delivery Consultant|
|Reporting to||Manager (Energy Technology Consulting)|
|Location||London: Elephant & Castle|
|Department||Energy Technology Consulting, UK Power Networks Services Directorate|
|Salary Range||Circa £49,373 (Depending on Skills and Experience)|
|Closing Date||12th February 2021|
All applications will be reviewed after the closing date
We also provide the following additional benefits
- Annual leave 25 days
- Personal Pension Plan – Personal contribution rates of 4% or 5% (UK Power Networks will make a corresponding contribution of 8% or 10%)
- Tenancy Loan Deposit scheme
- Tax efficient benefits: cycle to work scheme
- Season ticket loan
- Occupational Health support
- Switched On – scheme providing discount on hundreds of retailers products.
- Supplier discounts, such as O2, EE, Vauxhall cars, Universal tyres
- Discounted access to sports and social clubs
- Employee Assistance Programme.
UK Power Networks is the first and only energy company to be named in the Sunday Times 25 ‘Best Big Companies to Work For’ and is a multiple winner of Utility of the Year, making this is a great time to join and help grow our business.
UK Power Networks Services is the non-regulated part of UK Power Networks.
This team develops, delivers and manages safe, sustainable and profitable high voltage electrical and multi-utility networks for owners of major infrastructure. UKPNS work with a range of high profile clients such as Heathrow Airport Limited, Stansted Airport Limited, GIP (London Gatwick Airport), High Speed 1, Network Rail, London Underground, Ministry of Defence, Docklands Light Railway, and Canary Wharf.
UK Power Networks Services has the ambition to be the leader in private power and energy infrastructure.
Working within our dedicated team of engineers, consultants and analysts, the Senior EV Technical and Delivery Consultant will help UK Power Networks Services grow, design and deliver innovative smart grid projects focussing on behind-the-meter solutions including electric vehicles, energy storage and energy strategies that are aimed at addressing the energy trilemma. The successful candidate will support business development, develop and lead the delivery of complex technology and innovation projects and programmes while providing technical and commercial expertise. The Senior Consultant will be involved in the whole cycle of our offering, including solution offering development, business development, consulting, feasibility studies, project management and delivery through to operation and maintenance and financing.
The Senior EV Technical and Delivery Consultant will lead the strategic development and delivery of high value energy infrastructure consultancy projects for key commercial clients. He/she will bring an inquisitive, tenacious, data-driven and senior client-facing approach to our technology and innovation team: providing project and programme management, inspiring innovation, motivating and leading colleagues, and overseeing development of energy initiatives to deliver significant improvement projects, which apply novel and innovative solutions.
- Annual Works Costs: Accountable for delivering projects £1-£10m
- Department budget: £0 – No budget responsibility
- Staff: up to 5 direct staff and will be responsible for delivering projects with up to 10 staff from time to time
- Lead the development of innovation and technology bids and proposals for clients including sales pitches to senior clients
- Lead the delivery of complex technology and innovation projects and programmes from initiation through to closure to a value of up to £10 million
- Develop and deliver Project Initiation Documents
- Develop excellent quality energy industry in-sights and thought leadership for publication
- Present to industry at conferences
- Understand and articulate technical and commercial challenges
- Lead funding applications for potential projects including requirements development, scope, stakeholder management and analysis for low carbon innovation and technology projects including the provision of energy storage, smart electric vehicle infrastructure and microgrids.
- Lead complex feasibility studies and business case assessments
- Develop models for calculating technical or business case performance
- Develop and maintain multi-criteria technology assessments
- Lead the development and delivery of Solution Offerings and their go-to-market strategies
- Thought Leadership. Develop excellent quality energy industry in-sights
- Collaborate with the Business Development and Marketing units to expand our business presence and win more work
- Engage with internal and external stakeholders including internal departments, clients, regulatory bodies and public/governmental organisations
- Mentor junior members of the staff providing support and guidance to develop others within the team. Contribute proactively to the further growth and development of the team
- Build and maintain contacts and relations with new and existing clients
- Develop new working practices to provide industry leading, best value services to our clients and improve existing processes to increase efficiency within the business operations
- Monitor, understand and report changes in energy policies and legislation
- Negotiate scope and fee proposal with clients
- Provide strategic input on how the business can evolve to maintain its competitiveness within the industry
- Manage external consultants to ensure they are meeting the agreed quality levels and clients’ expectations
- Support managers on day-to-day activities, reporting and business operations
NATURE AND SCOPE:
The Energy Technology Consulting team is headed by the Manager, Engineering and Consultancy Services who reports to the Head of Client Delivery.
The consultancy grade structure is divided into 3 levels, Analyst, Consultant and Senior Consultant. The number of consultants at each grade are increasing as the team grows.
As a Senior Consultant, you will be responsible for the line management of Consultants and Analysts.
The Senior Consultant is responsible for the oversight and delivery of multiple consulting projects being delivered simultaneously by junior staff on time and to budget.
There is a requirement for business development including winning multiple projects that will contribute towards the teams overall EBITDA and the EBITDA of the wider business. This includes the account management of multiple accounts.
There is a requirement to develop multiple pieces of Thought Leadership and to speak at conferences as industry expert in the energy technology space.
There is a requirement to lead and deliver Team Initiatives that improve the underlying efficiency of the Energy Technology Consulting Team, or increase revenue though Business Development.
The role requires substantial consultancy experience ranging from developing proposals, pitching to clients and delivering consultancy projects.
SKILLS, QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPEREINCE:
- Substantial experience in an energy consultancy environment
- Extensive experience in leading innovation and technology projects including energy storage, EV charging infrastructure, energy efficiency, flexibility markets, energy strategy and microgrids
- Demonstrable understanding of power systems, electricity markets, the value of flexibility from different distributed energy resources, industrial and commercial applications and the benefits of using smart grid technologies
- Experience or ability to understand, identify and assess business models for distributed energy resources
- Experience in developing and delivering solution offerings to take to market, along with their go-to-market strategies
- Degree in engineering, mathematics, or other quantitative discipline
- Experience in developing technical and commercial feasibility studies and investment business cases
- Strong report writing skills and ability to produce clear and logical written communication
- Ability to manage and mentor staff
- Ability to work in a multi-tasking environment
- Highly motivated to learn on the job, interface with clients, as well as undertake training
- Confidently build and maintain external and internal relationships
- Willingness to travel from time to time
- Flexible approach to work, and ability to prioritise and manage time effectively to meet deadlines and client needs
- Willingness to mentor junior engineers and analysts
- Pay strong attention to detail and demonstrate accurate work
- Personal drive for growth and development of low carbon solutions
- Strong inter-personal / communication skills in order to present strategies, analysis and recommendations
- Team player and willingness to follow instructions
- Ability to be adaptable and able to work both independently and as part of a team
- Have a systematic logical approach to problem solving
- Proven experience delivering projects on time and on budget
- Formal Project Management qualifications: PRINCE2, APM (PMQ Management) or equivalent
- Practical experience in delivering network and ancillary services from distributed energy resources
- Electricity and/or utility industry experience
- Understanding and/or experience in using optimisation techniques and related software
- A proven record in delivering technical projects and demonstrable ability to transfer these skills to the electrical sector
- Commercial experience
- Chartered engineer or committed to working towards chartership
- Postgraduate degree or equivalent
- Publications in international conferences and journals
- Safety and environmental awareness
- Ability to lead multi-disciplined teams
- Comfortable working without a guide, developing new methods & models without a roadmap
- Responsible and proactive
- Information seeking
- Interpersonal skills, ability to work with teams across the business and clients with different backgrounds
- Personal drive for innovation and continuous improvement opportunities
- Planning, organisation and time management
- Business acumen
Health & Safety Responsibilities
Managers and supervisors carry both legal and company responsibilities for ensuring the health and safety of their employees, those under their control and those who might be affected by the work undertaken, i.e. public, visitors and employees of other organisations. This includes briefing individuals working for them and ensuring there is the necessary understanding, competence and application of requirements to work safely and without harming the environment.
Employees will ensure they fully understand the health and safety risks involved in their work activities and their responsibility to apply the controls needed to manage those risks to acceptable levels. Similarly where work activities can have an adverse impact upon the environment, and particularly where there are legal requirements, employees will understand those impacts and the controls they must ensure are applied.
Employees need to be aware that for some craft and operational roles that work at height, or use fall arrest devices, there is an upper weight limit of 116Kg due to maximum safe working load of the safety equipment that is used.
If in doubt ask!
We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender, gender identity or expression, or veteran status. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace.
- Address Newington House
- Salary Offer Salary Range Circa £49,373 (Depending on Skills and Experience)