|Position||Senior Electrical Estimator|
|Reporting to||Estimating Manager|
|Salary Range||£56,358 + Business needs car & potential bonus (subject to criteria)|
|Closing Date9||6th April 2021|
All applications will be reviewed after the closing date
We also provide the following additional benefits
- Annual leave 25 days
- Personal Pension Plan – Personal contribution rates of 4% or 5% (UK Power Networks will make a corresponding contribution of 8% or 10%)
- Tenancy Loan Deposit scheme
- Tax efficient benefits: cycle to work scheme
- Season ticket loan
- Occupational Health support
- Switched On – scheme providing discount on hundreds of retailers products.
- Supplier discounts, such as O2, EE, Vauxhall cars, Universal tyres
- Discounted access to sports and social clubs
- Employee Assistance Programme.
The Senior Estimator is responsible for the timely production of detailed pricing of HV & LV Installations from client specifications, conceptual designs and technical work scopes. The role is also to manage, coach, train, direct, and schedule the electrical estimating resource embedded across the Services businesses.
This will require the compilation of accurate estimates for multi discipline electrical works, including labour, plant, equipment, materials and sub-contract requirements during the tendering and bidding phases of the project. In addition, the successful applicant will need to plan and deploy the estimating resource in the business to deliver the bidding plan and major project scope changes ensuring deadlines are met. The level of bidding workload will escalate in line with Services growth strategy and ambitions.
Bidding Turnover – £200m
Functional Reports – 2 direct + 6 regionally based functional reports
New Work Target – £100m
- Responsible for pricing and estimating of all works and services across the Services business in an analytical and systematic way, pricing for works up to £200m
- Management of opportunities and pipeline linked to business development.
- Establish bid strategies from earliest possible stage.
- Preparation of prime cost estimates.
- Completion of fully considered tenders at settlement stage.
- Liaison with contracts team for construction advice and planning.
- Advise on finalisation matters of risk, qualification and margin.
- In conjunction with marketing function, prepare pre-bid submissions/pre-qualification documents.
- Pricing and Estimating subject matter expert with Senior Management and Wider Management teams, providing guidance and advice on estimating strategies on potential bids
- Working with existing Pricing and Estimating team to introduce a consistent, best in class way of working on pricing and estimating activities across UK Power Networks Services
- Coaching and mentoring of existing Pricing and Estimating teams to ensure work is carried out in a consistent and professional manner on all bids
- In conjunction with UKPN Procurement, liaise with subcontractors and suppliers to obtain the best available quotations, and improve the turnaround times of supplier quotes to improve the quality of bid submissions, giving UKPN Services a competitive edge over other bidders
- Responsible for evaluations of options or alternatives
- Production of financial analysis of estimates in an approved form for review, as part of the UKPN Services internal governance Portfolio Board process, and for Services SMT .
- Comply and work within with company tendering guidelines and procedures
- Ensure compliance with all legislation and industry standards
- Key contributor to the analysis of technical work scope, working with technical subject matter experts and using industry knowledge to formulate best value for money estimates.
- Complete the project risk analysis and register, with accurate estimates of the risk value incorporated within the submitted price
- Responsible for the checking of accuracy and completeness of clients tender documents
- Undertake estimating using ContractMaster & Microsoft Excel software
- Review proposals for full understanding of conceptual designs, technical work scopes and specifications
- Production of enquiries for suppliers and subcontractors
- Review project programmes and provide recommendations to the senior management team
- Attend post tender presentations with the client, providing compelling rationale or explanation for the prices submitted in the bid, and/or offering alternate solutions where requested to reduce the price through scope changes or alternative products. Therefore increasing our bid win rate
- Assist in establishing contract cost codes and targets
- Identification and elimination of hazards in line with the methodology of CDM for all projects (CDM notifiable or not)
NATURE AND SCOPE:
The Senior Commercial Manager is part of the UKPN Services Senior Management Team responsible for the commercial pricing and estimating across all aspects of the business. Services is made up of many business units servicing several long term contracts and a similar number of tendered electrical installation contracts of a shorter duration. Employees and contract staff are hired locally to provide estimating and pricing support to the contracts.
The Senior Estimator will work with the operational managers and the bid team to better utilise the localised estimating resource, to identify particular areas of expertise amongst the estimating staff to share across the business and to develop the competence, expertise and flexibility of local resource through training, coaching and knowledge sharing.
The Services business from time to time requires to submit large and complex bids, the success of which are absolutely critical to the future of the business (ie High Speed 2) This role will be expected to be the lead commercial person on the bid, and to have the capability and experience necessary to make the bid successful. (£100-200m)
This role is to estimate and price new work in conjunction with the bid team, on a broad range of different contracts. The role will be supported by bid support staff, and the onsite central procurement team. Due to the continuously changing nature of the business, this role may from time to time be required to offer additional support to the local business where there is peak requirement, or where there is a particularly important or complex bid that requires it.
- strong numerical skills.
- good analytical skills and to be able to pay close attention to detail.
- excellent communication and presentation skills.
- good computer skills
- good commercial awareness.
- an awareness of data confidentiality.
- the ability to work on your own and as part of a team.
- Ability to work with external engineering organisations as well as customers/stakeholders representing the company to best effect
- Must have strong team working ethic and customer focus
- Ability to read and understand construction drawings and design specifications
- Understanding of the planning and sequencing of construction of projects
- Understanding of the process of procuring Subcontractors or suppliers
- Ability to compile information for submission to clients
- Will hold a formal qualification related to Electrical Engineering or Electrical Estimating discipline or equivalent
- Bachelor’s degree in an industry-related field, such as Construction Management, Engineering or equivalent.
- Must be willing to attend safety courses and hold safety certificates
- Demonstrable experience in estimating multi discipline HV & LV electrical projects
- Demonstrable experience in estimating large and complex bids and managing a team of estimators across a portfolio of bids.
- Experience in the use of estimating software
- Experience in electrical installation Industrial & commercial projects
- A sound understanding of Construction Design Management (CDM)
- Must have knowledge of HV & LV installations and switchgear
- Ideally will have knowledge of rail industry
- Willing to work hours to suit tender deadlines
- Willingness to travel on occasions as required
Health & Safety Responsibilities
Managers and supervisors carry both legal and company responsibilities for ensuring the health and safety of their employees, those under their control and those who might be affected by the work undertaken, i.e. public, visitors and employees of other organisations. This includes briefing individuals working for them and ensuring there is the necessary understanding, competence and application of requirements to work safely and without harming the environment.
Employees will ensure they fully understand the health and safety risks involved in their work activities and their responsibility to apply the controls needed to manage those risks to acceptable levels. Similarly where work activities can have an adverse impact upon the environment, and particularly where there are legal requirements, employees will understand those impacts and the controls they must ensure are applied.
Employees need to be aware that for some craft and operational roles that work at height, or use fall arrest devices, there is an upper weight limit of 116Kg due to maximum safe working load of the safety equipment that is used.
If in doubt ask!
We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender, gender identity or expression, or veteran status. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace.
- Address Newington House, 237 Southwark Bridge Road, London, SE1 6NP
- Salary Offer £56,358 + Business needs car & potential bonus (subject to criteria)