Direct Line Group is an ambitious company employing thousands of people throughout the UK. We’re proud to be one of Britain’s leading general insurers, offering millions of customers decades of experience and knowledge. In the history of modern insurance, there has never been a bigger time for change than now and we work hard to make sure our well known brands –Direct Line, Churchill, Privilege, NIG and Green Flag are making insurance easier and better value for our customers. We know we can’t do this without our brilliant people who we reward for ideas and thinking as well as results because that’s how we can achieve amazing things – for our customers and for each other.
What we are looking for
We are looking for someone with experience of building productionised data science pipelines. Someone who is used to applying groundbreaking technology to real business problems within large organised, gained via a career in Consulting or a FTSE250 organisation. You will decide what the right algorithm is for a particular situation and ensure that it is robust, scalable and safe. You will help keep DLG up-to-date with the latest tools and techniques and support the Chief Data Office in harnessing our data assets to make insurance much easier and better value for our customers.
Who you’ll be working with
You will work on different data science efforts within DLG, working with the Head of Analytics and Data Science but liaising with the broader business to help embed machine learning into the wider organisation. You will join a growing and strategic part of DLG in our Bromley office.
What you’ll be doing
- Building robust productionised data science pipelines using open source tools.
- Working within the CDO function to uphold and evolve common standards and best practices. Collaborate to ensure that our data solutions are complimentary and not duplicative.
- Working closely with Technology teams to ensure performance, support and change delivery meets our needs.
- Staying up to date with machine learning technologies, architectures, techniques. Driving research and explore creative solutions to expand our capability.
- Playing an active role in the DLG data community to share learning and support the development of a network of data experts.
- Understanding the goals and needs of the DLG business. Ensure regular engagement, visibility and communication of plans and progress of joint initiatives and goals.
- Experience building and productionising data science pipelines in Java or Python.
- Experience using Open Source machine learning packages and frameworks (e.g. scikit-learn, TensorFlow, etc.).
- Experience working in dynamic environments, problem solving for commercial challenges (for e.g. in an internal/external consulting capacity).
- Experience with cloud based technologies (e.g. AWS, GCP)
What we’ll give you
Come join us and you’ll find yourself at the core of one of the most on-the-go teams in the business. We’re always encouraging internal development and you’ll have access to loads of learning opportunities, events and conferences to build your industry knowledge.
Direct Line Group are an equal opportunity employer who value diversity. We do not discriminate and we recognise and embrace that people work in different ways. We will always adapt so you have the best and most comfortable working environment. If during the recruitment process you require any reasonable adjustments, please just let us know.
Career benefits and rewards
Rewarding you is really important to us, as well as offering a competitive salary and generous holiday entitlement; you can take advantage of a wide range of benefits. The best part is you can pick and choose the benefits to suit your own lifestyle, but also pass on some of the savings to family and friends. Here are just a few we have on offer:
- A competitive salary, benchmarked against our competitors, which will grow as you do.
- Pension 9% of your base salary, you can choose to contribute less or more than this, and anything you don’t wish to put in to your pension you can take as cash instead!
- Private medical insurance (anyone can choose this through our flexible benefits scheme, and managers receive this as standard)
- Attractive holiday entitlement
- 50% off our Home, Motor and Pet insurance
- Free Travel insurance
- Free Green Flag breakdown cover
- Flexible rewards including Life insurance, income protection, critical illness insurance, personal accident insurance
- Retail card, with discounts at big name retailers
- My Discounts – a discounts website for all our employees, with great discounts, cash back savings and offers across hundreds of brilliant high street brands, travel, tickets, gym memberships and much more.
Who we are
Direct Line Group is an organisation with a clear mission: to make insurance much easier and better value for customers. We are one of the leading motor, home and small business insurers in the UK. We are home to some of the nation’s best-known brands, including Direct Line, Churchill, Privilege, Green Flag and NIG.
Life at Direct Line Group
We recommend that you read our colleagues’ stories and ask them a question on our live discussion platform www.directlinegroupcareers.com/ask-our-people. This will help you learn more about us and be better prepared for interviews.