We are looking for DLG’s key representative on a joint DLG-The Floow data science and analytics team. You will work collaboratively on cutting edge and high impact investigations that will translate directly into product design, pricing and underwriting rulings across DLG’s portfolio of Motor Insurance Brands (Direct Line, Churchill, Privilege, PSA Group and VW Group).
- Consistent track record of ability to quickly adapt to and exploit new and cutting edge technology/ techniques .
- Degree or above qualification in Statistics, Applied Mathematics, Computer Science, or a related subject.
- Broad knowledge of programming and scripting .
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills.
- Prior experience of developing and delivering commercially viable ‘big-data’ analytic solutions .
- Experience with working in connection with collaborative projects/ dynamic teams .
- Experience with using Data Mining algorithms and statistical tools such as Python and R.
- Experience with Version Control (Git).
Who you’ll be working with:
Our Telematics products collect driving data from a wide variety of devices and present it back to our motor insurance customers and pricing teams. It is the Data Science team that define the best data to collect, and how to interpret it using state-of-the-art big data techniques in order to provide insights into how well our customers are driving.
Over the last few years, we’ve demonstrated the value of the telematics data we collect to help our customers and pricing teams understand how well they are driving. But we are only scratching the surface of what we can do for our customers.
What you’ll be doing:
In this role, you’ll join a completely new joint team of DLG and The Floow data scientists that has been set up with the specific goal of pushing the boundaries of what we are doing with this telematics data. By working closely with The Floow and with access to new and rich data sources, you will become an expert in this growing field and be a key member of a team with the drive to reinvent motor insurance.
- You will own and guide a number of key data science initiatives identified by the Telematics Analysis Leadership Committee. Focusing on creating substantial commercial value from 2bn miles of UK telematics data to develop better insurance pricing models, new underwriting rules and other commercially deployable insights.
- You will be able to work within the Joint DLG-Floow data science team and with The DLG Pricing and Underwriting team and the DLG commercial team. Taking responsibility for data, modelling and communication of analysis to stakeholders. This includes clear and actionable insight through advanced analysis and interpretation of multiple complex data sets.
- You will be an avid contributor to deployment of data science outputs. You will work with data engineering colleagues to deploy models into production or to develop visualisations of insight for business users.
- You will work very closely with the DLG Head of Telematics Pricing to agree on design and prioritisation of work packages and associated success criteria. Acting as a key liaison between the joint data science team and DLG senior management.
- By learning from within one of the world’s prime telematics data science teams at The Floow, you will establish, capture, maintain and continually improve Data Science standard methodologies at DLG. Working closely with DLG’s wider Data Science community to build DLG’s own in-house Telematics Data Science capability over time.
- You will posses the ability to demonstrate and lead the “art of the possible” showcasing new capabilities and driving innovation within the wider data science community in DLG and identify other capable stakeholders, especially to realise the Chief Data Officer’s strategy and being actively involved in the wider Data Science industry, bringing new ideas to DLG that can realise value for the business.
What we’ll give you:
Come join us and you’ll find yourself in the middle of one of the most on-the-go teams in the business, with autonomy and exposure to industry leaders on huge household brand names. We’re always encouraging internal development and you’ll have access to loads of learning opportunities, events and conferences to build your industry knowledge.
Direct Line Group are an equal opportunity employer who value diversity.