|Position||Senior Cloud Architect|
|Reporting to||Technology Architecture Manager|
|Location||London, Ipswich, or Crawley|
|Contract Type||Personal Contract|
|CiP Level / Bonus||5%|
|Starting Ranage||Depending on experience – Plus benefits and bonus|
All applications will be reviewed after the closing date
We also offer :
Annual leave 25 days
Personal Pension Plan – Personal contribution rates of 4% or 5% (UK Power Networks will make a corresponding contribution of 8% or 10%)
Tenancy Loan Deposit scheme
Tax efficient benefits: cycle to work scheme
Season ticket loan
Occupational Health support
Switched On – scheme providing discount on hundreds of retailers products.
Supplier discounts, such as O2, EE, Vauxhall cars, Universal tyres
Discounted access to sports and social clubs
Employee Assistance Programme.
As a Cloud Architect your primary focus will be to define, build and continuously improve the core systems and facilitate the move from on-premises data centres into the cloud.
You will be very well versed in designing enterprise solutions for on-premise and cloud-based technologies, as well as networking and system administration (Windows/Linux). You will have considerable experience in working in a brownfield environment, with legacy and ERP technologies, designing and implementing solutions that integrate with existing systems.
You will be a vital part of a dynamic team leading, defining, and delivering continuous change into our systems and data architecture driven increasingly by cloud-based solutions. What you deliver will drive the realisation of the Digital Strategy through enabling technology services that allow true business agility, robust systems resilience, and excellent data intelligence.
Specifically, you will lead the design and implementation of new and updated technology services and innovation projects which integrate efficiently into existing business processes. You will work collaboratively with your peers within Information Systems and the wider business in agile teams to rapidly deliver high quality and valued business, data, and technology outcomes.
This role is vital to enable the delivery of the UK Power Networks digital strategy and being able to realise the ambitions of the organisation as a data driven organisation, working as a Distribution System Operator and to set UK Power Networks up to operate within the expectations of the RIIO-ED2 regime. Without this role, then the cost-effective delivery of technology enabled changes will either not be realised or will require more significant investment. This role will also enable the Information systems department to keep pace with business demand and changing expectations of IT.
This role will target the following:
- Leading the design, build and transition robust core cloud and on-premise hosted solutions to meet business needs
- Be accountable the delivery of solutions through delivery management or hands-on implementation
- Lead the delivery of change within either an agile or a waterfall delivery methodology to deliver change either directly or through service partners
- Deliver in days and weeks, sustainable technology change that enables to access to services securely typically from any device from anywhere and using modern cloud-based services
- Be a principle point of contact with business to understand business requirements, data needs and develop and maintain datasets to support data exploration and analytics
- Annual IT Opex: Contribute to the continuous optimisation £16m plus on-premise and cloud technology services
- Annual IT Capex: Contribute to the technology delivery of £15-25m of an annual technology enabled change investment
- Staff: no direct reports
- Able to travel round the company’s geography
- Budget: no budget ownership
This role will be responsible for the following:
Technology solving business challenges
- Showing thought leadership in how to rapidly assess and select relevant technology solutions to deliver business needs in a scalable and supportable manner
- Showing deep understanding to keep abreast of technology advances and identifying how and when such capabilities can be tested and utilised to drive digital innovation
- Being passionate about ‘how tech works’ and getting ‘hands-on’ to develop cloud-based prototypes to rapidly prove business value and drive ‘learning through action’
Having deep influence & impact
- Leading the dialogues with stakeholders, both technical and non-technical, result in all parties understanding and wanting the benefits of a suggested technology and/or data change
- Being a principle champion for technology and in particular the rapid delivery of solutions as Minimum Viable Products or using Proof of Value techniques to quickly demonstrate the value and speed up time to product
- Being articulate and professionally passionate about the power of technology and data and making others feel they want to follow and support the change initiatives you are working on
- Mentoring the rest of the Architecture team to support their learning and development through “show and tell” sessions, and encourage a positive and continuous learning environment enabled through formal and informal learning channels
Leading and evolving standards and controls
- Define and clearly document technology strategies, roadmaps and standards and ensuring their alignment and support of UK Power Networks business vision and objectives
- Support the development and adherence to technology principles and guardrails to support the realisation of the enterprise architecture and the corresponding business vision and strategy
- Lead on the management and tracking of reoccurring subscription-based costs of cloud services ensuring the maximum technology value is derived for all deployed solutions
- Lead the governance of costs within the IT estate and enable costs for solutions to be managed and minimised without impacting the business and technical needs
- Own solution delivered into ‘live’ ensuring effective transitioned with operational teams
- Own and maintain key stakeholder relationships in the business to continuously understand their biggest challenges and data needs, incorporating these needs into technology design and implementation.
- Be a leading mentor and be passionate and instrumental in upskilling and education of non- technology literate colleagues.
NATURE AND SCOPE:
UK Power Networks is UK’s largest electricity distribution network operator, delivering electricity to approximately 18 million customers, including critical infrastructure and businesses across the country. As we face new opportunities and challenges such as smart meters, electric vehicles and a carbon neutral future, we need to simultaneously transform the way use technology to manage our operations and how data is collected, used and actioned in the energy industry.
It is the purpose of this initiative to drive this transformation, by implementing a digital strategy that will seek to make UK Power Networks a leader in data driven decision making. As part of the team involved, you will have the opportunity to have a major impact across the company and change the way technology and data is utilised by employees and customers of UK Power Networks.
Ultimately, we are accountable in supporting the business in achieving its vision of becoming an ’employer of choice’, ‘a respected and trusted corporate citizen’ and ‘sustainably cost efficient’.
SKILLS, QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE:
- Extensive experience as a cloud architect or an engineer in a heterogeneous environment
- Experience in working in Agile Delivery Teams and/or leveraging the Scaled Agile Framework for Enterprises (SAFe)
- Considerable experience in working as a solution or technical architect in a complex heterogeneous environment including ERP platforms, packaged and custom applications
- Extensive experience in administrating Microsoft 365, Microsoft Azure, as well as data visualisation tools such as PowerBI
- Knowledge of the energy and utilities sector is very much preferred
- Excellent interpersonal skills in areas such as teamwork, facilitation, and negotiation
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Knowledge of the main aspects of an enterprise technology architecture
- Knowledge of information principles and processes
- Understanding of network and security architecture
- Understanding and knowledge of system development life cycle methodologies (such as waterfall, agile software development, and DevOps)
- Understanding and knowledge of IT service management (ITSM) and Information Technology Infrastructure Library (ITIL)
- Understanding and knowledge of IT standards and controls
- Using and deploying Microsoft 365 and Azure cloud services utilising SaaS, PaaS and IaaS models (AZ-104/303/304/400/500 certifications are a plus)
- ERP Solution architecture, design, and delivery
- Designing and delivery of solutions on or integrating with real-time systems
- Architecting, designing and delivery of packaged solutions including integration into the wider IT estate
- Extensive design and implementation of cloud-based solutions, including designing the networking and security arrangements and the integration of data and solutions using APIs, Integration platforms, ETL and Event Hubs
- Championing an automation data driven mindset and knowledge of any programming/scripting (e.g. Node.js, PowerShell, Power FX, Python, .NET)
- In depth understanding of Windows, Linux, and Networking systems
Health & Safety Responsibilities
Managers and supervisors carry both legal and company responsibilities for ensuring the health and safety of their employees, those under their control and those who might be affected by the work undertaken, i.e. public, visitors and employees of other organisations. This includes briefing individuals working for them and ensuring there is the necessary understanding, competence and application of requirements to work safely and without harming the environment.
Employees will ensure they fully understand the health and safety risks involved in their work activities and their responsibility to apply the controls needed to manage those risks to acceptable levels. Similarly where work activities can have an adverse impact upon the environment, and particularly where there are legal requirements, employees will understand those impacts and the controls they must ensure are applied.
Employees need to be aware that for some craft and operational roles that work at height, or use fall arrest devices, there is an upper weight limit of 116Kg due to maximum safe working load of the safety equipment that is used.
If in doubt ask!
We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender, gender identity or expression, or veteran status. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace.
- Address Newington House, 237 Southwark Bridge Road, London, SE1 6NP
- Salary Offer Depending on experience plus benefits and bonus