We are building a cadre of commercial talent in all Government departments; people who can manage our commercial portfolios, who can lead our most complex and novel programmes and projects, people who have the gravitas and depth of experience to work alongside our policy and operational leaders to develop innovative commercial arrangements, whether through joint ventures, outsourcing or best-in-class contracts.
The Government Commercial Organisation is an employer which is truly committed to creating a welcoming, inclusive workplace where all our people are able to bring their whole selves to work and are able to perform to their potential. We understand the importance of diversity and inclusion and strive for a workplace that reflects the communities which we serve. We especially welcome applications from underrepresented groups including Black, Asian and Minority Ethnic (BAME) candidates, candidates with a disability and candidates with gender-diverse identities. Appointments will be made on merit on the basis of fair and open competition.
We have already made significant progress through the establishment of the Government Commercial Organisation (GCO), our single employer of senior commercial talent across government. This role will sit within the GCO, but based in our CCS commercial team delivering departmental objectives.
- Lead the development of category strategies. Building close links with industry to gain insight, and influence future direction to drive best value for the public sector;
- Have a strong understanding of market trends and forces and how they impact on customers buying behaviour and requirements;
- Build relationships of influence, including relationships with Senior Government Policy owners to ensure CCS strategies are aligned to government policy;
- Lead the identification, development, testing and implementation of alternative procurement and sourcing solutions, from frameworks and contracts through to Dynamic Purchasing Solutions;
- Resource plan for all areas of responsibility, including the need to prioritise resources to maximise outcomes. Identify future budget and resource requirements and present detailed business cases to support these;
- Identify, develop and implement growth plans – analysis and tracking of trends (customer and market). Validating potential partnership opportunities to support strategic growth plans;
- Manage and maintain key strategic partnerships to deliver a joint strategy for growth including measurement of success and identification of further opportunities;
- Delivery of credible market comparator commercial benefits. Work with customers to identify and support business change initiatives, with clear project charters and sign off by the customer;
- Implement and run Supplier Relationship Management (SRM) programme for defined Category areas;
- Lead on cross government initiatives to support collaboration across the public sector to maximise value;
- Provide commercial and category advice to public sector fleets, leading on stakeholder forums and events;
- Drive the “green agenda” through the fleet services and product offerings to ensure a clear pathway to carbon net zero across public sector fleets;
- Provide commercial and category advice to public sector fleets, leading on stakeholder forums and events.
We’ll assess you against these technical skills during the selection process:
- Builds Relationships – Experience of working closely with stakeholders to establish effective working relationships that align best to suppliers to deliver value.
- Strategy and Policy Development – Demonstrable experience of leading the development of category strategies in order to provide the best value for money.
- Market Insight – Experience/knowledge of the fleet market
- Commercial Focus – Experience of delivery across the full commercial lifecycle including knowledge and understanding of commercial policies and their practical application as well as the ability to implement the latest commercial methodologies.
- Decisive – Proven experience in driving a diverse and inclusive working culture for employees and suppliers, whilst leading through large scale strategic change.
- Assertive -Experience of influencing key stakeholders towards commercial solutions that give a balance of optimal commercial performance whilst delivering on business strategy.
Closing Date: 11th April 2021
- Address Liverpool
- Salary Offer £70,176 - £96,909 GCO Pension, GCO Terms and up to 15% performance-related-pay available on accreditation.