We are Direct Line Group – home to some of the country’s best-known brands including Direct Line, Churchill, Privilege, Greenflag and NIG. Our vision is to create a world where insurance is personal, inclusive, and a force for good, and our purpose is to help people carry on with their lives, giving them peace of mind now and in the future.
To help us to deliver on this vision and purpose, we have recently transformed our operating model to Agile ways of working. We’re transforming our systems, products and services, positioning ourselves as a challenger brand, disrupting the market and innovating for the future. We’re already an award-winning brand including ‘YourMoney Best Direct Breakdown provider’. To underpin this transformation, we’ve developed an in-house cloud-based system, reorganised to an end to end customer centric business, strengthen its network and implemented Agile ways of working.
Our structure is built on 8 chapters: Customer & Commercial Value, Pricing & Underwriting, Data, Design, Marketing, Engineering, Agile, and Operational Resilience. It’s an exciting time to join Direct Line Group as a rare opportunity has arisen to join the Rescue Green Flag leadership team as an Engineering Chapter Area Lead!
As the Rescue Engineering Chapter Area Lead, you will own all change across the Green Flag business with end-to-end accountability from kick-off through to build, test, and deployment. This role has management accountability for all technology scrum teams and continuously drives improvement in how we make fast and effective changes to our strategic platforms, ensuring optimal operational performance. The role is embedded into the rescue business and takes business prioritisation and high-level requirements from the Head of Product Management to then execute the change.
What you’ll be doing
This role requires self and team leadership capability. You’ll need to be an inspiring leader for your Chapter, motivating them to deliver to a high standard and striving to remove blockers when they can’t.
You will need to work closely with the Tribe Leads and the Arch CoE on technology strategy, design decisions, and resource planning. You will need to be able to build an environment and culture of customer centric product design and continuous improvement, experimentation, and innovation. This means working across disciplines (e.g. testing, business analysis, DevOps) and developing skills outside your core specialism.
You will know how to turn strategy into delivery. You will have experience of working in a highly regulated environment and balancing regulatory and commercial outcomes. But with this, you will need to develop junior colleagues in your craft.
What you’ll need
- You will be highly skilled in architecture, analysis and design, development, security, quality, and operations engineering; using multiple technologies, engineering practices and agile software delivery
- Passionate and motivating leader of people and teams, with the ability to bring people together in delivery and supporting their growth as engineers to further enhance their technical, agile, and soft skills
- You actively manage risk, quality, and architectural and technical debt to ensure we deliver on our promises to customers and are there for them in their hour of need
- You care about the craft of engineering and live by the practices of TDD (test driven development), refactoring, simplicity, continuous delivery
- You are experienced in third party software vendor management
- You are a Champion for Cultural Change
- You will have experience of delivering complex projects requiring collaboration across organisations in matrix environment
- You promote and build a safe environment that promotes the test, learn, and adapt mindset and encourages simplicity
- You’re comfortable with giving and receiving constructive challenge and feedback
- Experience of Agile Operating models is an advantage (but not required)
- You truly believe in a non-hierarchical, transparent working environment
Ways of working
Here at Direct Line Group, we recognise the importance of flexibility, not only in our personal lives but also in the way we work. Our mixed model way of working offers a ‘best of both worlds’ approach combining the best parts of home and office-working, offering flexibility for everyone.
We’ve ditched the daily commute for a virtual first approach. If you do come into the office, there are exciting workspaces and zones you can use, depending on the type of work you are doing.
How much you’ll be in the office depends on your role, and we’ll consider the flexible working options that work best for you. Please get in touch with the team to discuss!
- Address Churchill Court, Bromley, UK
- Salary Offer Competitive