The BARB service is responsible for the measurement of the number of people watching television in the UK, on behalf of the television companies and the advertising industry. This measurement task is contracted out by BARB to research companies who perform this function for them. There are currently 6,000 homes on the BARB panel from which viewing data is collected daily. We are looking to appoint a Reference Data Technician to work as part of our BARB Reference Data Team based in Westgate and GIR. This team is responsible for the capture and management of reference data and encoding for all the TV channels required for the essential running of the BARB Service.
Job Role Requirements
The suitable candidate will be responsible for the daily Reference management and to ensure the provision of 24×7 audio reference collection of 600+ channels on corresponding transmission networks along with a replicated secondary site.
- This role will encompass round the clock monitoring of Television channels within the reference sites.
- This role requires excellent analytical skills and the ability to gain an understanding of the business, which implements the needs of the referencing infrastructure.
- The successful candidate will need to be capable of taking ownership, work independently at times with good team working skills, excellent written and oral skills.
- Monitor and maintain 125 + Reference Data Collection Servers and operational A/V systems, ensuring availability over a 24/7 x 365 period for correct industry reporting.
- Complete daily reference site checks throughout the day in a timely manner, as agreed with the Reference Data Team Leader.
- Monitor the Broadcast Reference Sites using various verification tools, prioritising and the resolution of all faults that occur on shift.
- Responsible for the setup of channel additions or removals within the referencing infrastructure at all reference sites. The operative is directly responsible for ensuring the quality and reliability of the audio signatures that are generated.
- Carry out end to end audio validation tests on newly set up references to ensure the data collected is correct at all reference sites.
- The Successful individual will be responsible for monitoring various reports, having a good eye for detail to capture inaccuracies with the reference data collection.
- Maintain a knowledge base of observations and its resolutions within the referencing environment which can be referred to for fault finding.
- Take ownership and escalate production issues/failures and follow up with the appropriate team members / other teams until issues are fully resolved.
- Attend to SI Transponder changes immediately to avoid / minimise the loss of reference data collection and delete the evening SI Batch production run.
- Flexible with covering odd working hours between sites for Sky Software downloads or holiday cover as this will often be an important part of the role.
- Regular travel to other sites will be required for fault resolution.
- Provide daily checks on the reference site UPS and Air conditioning units & RF redundancy systems and escalate any issues to the Reference Data Team leader.
- Assist the team with cabling work along with exploring new technologies related to reference data capture.
- Compose overall report of all the reference related activities carried out during the day for various teams within the business, reporting critical issues to the Reference Data Team Leader.
- Good Problem-solving skills
- Able to spot, analysis problems to understand impact and suggest solution Mandatory Soft skills Learning
- Willing to learn new TV technologies within a headend system
- Self-starter and uses various resources to learn (forum, confluence and requesting meetings and trainings from peers) Mandatory Soft skills Communication & Collaboration
- Able to clearly articulate requirements, issues, and challenges
- Able to collaborate with other team members
- Highlight and escalate issues on timely manner
- Timely documentation of issues and its associated fix
- Sharing and training others in the team Mandatory Soft skills Flexibility
- Able to cover weekends & out of hour Sky Software downloads
- Can quickly adapt to unplanned changes in priorities
- Must be available at short notices around the clock and work on your own initiative Mandatory Others Domain
- UK Television Broadcasting
- Understand Audience Measurement Business
- Technical Skills Broadcast Headend systems
- Experience with TV transmission methods DVB-T, DVB-T2, DVB-S, DVB-S2, DVB-C & DVB-C2 •Skills with RF to IP conversion – Assisting with adding new ideas with new technologies
- Technical Skills Linux/Unix
- Basic Linux skills for file navigation Desirable Technical Skills MS Office
- Working knowledge of Excel and Word packages • Able to compose spreadsheets using sort commands & filters
- Address Westgate, London, UK
- Salary Offer Competitive