|Position||Power Systems Development Engineer|
|Reporting to||Network Development & Operability Manager|
|Function||Smart Grid Development, Power Systems|
|Location||London / Crawley|
|Employment Period||Fixed term Contract – (18 – 24 months)|
|CiP Level / Bonus||3%|
|Starting Salary||£46,652 OR £56,358 – Depending on experience
Should you not currently possess the full range of essential skills, qualifications and competencies listed above, there may be an opportunity for further training to equip the successful candidate appropriately. If the successful candidate does not possess all relevant competencies for the core grade, it will be appropriate to appoint at a lower grade until they have developed the required competencies
All applications will be reviewed after the closing date
We also offer :
Personal Pension Plan – Personal contribution rates of 4% or 5% (UK Power Networks will make a corresponding contribution of 8% or 10%)
Tenancy Loan Deposit scheme
Tax efficient benefits: cycle to work scheme
Season ticket loan
Occupational Health support
Switched On – scheme providing discount on hundreds of retailers products.
Supplier discounts, such as O2, EE, Vauxhall cars, Universal tyres
Discounted access to sports and social clubs
Employee Assistance Programme.
Delivery of analysis, policies and projects required to deliver UK Power Networks’ Distribution System Operator strategy. To identify, develop, manage and implement whole system initiatives and improve coordination between network companies to maximise benefits across the whole energy system. Whilst the immediate focus will be on increasing and improving coordination between electricity network operators, the role will also aim to identify and develop Whole Energy System initiatives with the gas, heat and transport sectors.
- Support the Head of Smart Grid Development in continuously developing and delivering the company’s’ DSO and wider business strategy, enabling UK Power Networks to be proactive and forward looking in facilitating the low carbon transition;
- Project management and delivery of UK Power Networks/National Grid ESO Regional Development Programmes;
- To identify, develop and deliver whole system initiatives across distribution and transmission electricity networks. With consideration to also creating whole energy system efficiencies across the heat and transport sectors;
- You will produce the business case, engineering analysis, policies and design standards required to operate and improve coordination across the whole energy system, allowing the continued deployment of Distributed Energy Resources;
- Perform network analysis and modelling of smart solutions;
- Support product development for whole system smart network solutions;
- Work with other internal stakeholders to develop enabling technology solutions;
- Provide training & produce processes to ensure the business integration and deployment of new solutions;
- To influence industry direction on whole system;
- To represent UK Power Networks in external working groups such as Energy Networks Association’s Open Networks project
Nature and Scope
Electricity networks are seeing their biggest transformation since its beginnings. The Smart Grid Development team is at the heart of it. The team has 30-strong (and growing) talented professionals with a range of skills in customer engagement, power systems, energy markets and managing projects.
The role requires an individual who is a confident and effective communicator, able to work effectively across different teams within UK Power Networks and also represent UK Power Networks’ externally.
Skills, Qualifications and Experience
Essential skills, qualifications and experience
- Degree in engineering or other quantitative discipline;
- A good understanding of the principles of power systems engineering;
- Practical experience of power system modelling;
- Excellent project and stakeholder management skills and in particular understanding risk management and project planning techniques (inc. application of Waterfall and Agile PM methodologies);
- A good understanding of the topology and operational characteristics of distribution and transmission networks;
- A working knowledge of the gas, heat and transport sectors;
- A working knowledge of Energy Markets, including pricing and regulatory frameworks;
- Strong data and statistical analysis skills;
- Advanced knowledge of Microsoft Excel
Beneficial skills, qualifications and experience
- Post-graduate qualification in a relevant engineering or commercial field, with focus on Distributed Energy Systems and Resources;
- Awareness of the smart solutions and new technologies that can be deployed on the distribution network in relation to current impacts that the connection of distributed energy has on UK Power Network’s distribution network;
- A project management qualification such as APMP or Prince2;
- Awareness of the requirements of Engineering Recommendations, in particular P2/7 and G99;
- Awareness of the Distribution/Grid Code and National Grid Connection and Use of System Code (CUSC);
- An understanding of the connection charge policy and how it impacts on costs charged;
- Knowledge of electricity network investment and operational planning processes;
- Understanding the impact of low carbon technologies (solar, wind, EVs, storage) are having on the distribution network;
- Knowledge of financial analysis techniques (Cost Benefit Analysis within the regulatory framework);
- Experience in the development of smart network solutions, such as Active Network Management systems
The successful candidate should possess the following qualities:
- Strong analytical skills and the ability to problem solve;
- Willingness to learn and adjust in a complex and fast moving environment,
- Good communication skills both written and verbal;
- Good team working skills;
- Good report writing skills – conveying complex issues simple on paper.
- Strong interpersonal skills and an ability to communicate clearly and confidently at all levels of the organisation including presenting technical and financial arguments to internal and external audiences;
- Be proactive and look for innovation and continuous improvement opportunities;
- Safety and environmental awareness;
- Self-motivation and the ability to work under own initiative;
Health & Safety Responsibilities
Managers and supervisors carry both legal and company responsibilities for ensuring the health and safety of their employees, those under their control and those who might be affected by the work undertaken, i.e. public, visitors and employees of other organisations. This includes briefing individuals working for them and ensuring there is the necessary understanding, competence and application of requirements to work safely and without harming the environment.
Employees are responsible for ensuring they fully understand the health and safety risks involved in their work activities and their responsibility to apply the controls needed to manage those risks to acceptable levels. Similarly where work activities can have an adverse impact upon the environment, and particularly where there are legal requirements, employees are responsible for understanding those impacts and the controls they must ensure are applied.
If in doubt ask!
We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender, gender identity or expression, or veteran status. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace.
- Address Newington House, 237 Southwark Bridge Road, London, SE1 6NP
- Salary Offer Starting Salary £46,652 OR £56,358 – Depending on experience