|Position||Power Systems Development Engineer|
|Reporting to||Network Development & Operability Manager|
|Function||Smart Grid Development, Power Systems|
|Location||London / Crawley|
|Starting Salary||£46,652 OR £56,358 – Depending on experience – Plus benefits and bonus
Should you not currently possess the full range of essential skills, qualifications and competencies listed above, there may be an opportunity for further training to equip the successful candidate appropriately. If the successful candidate does not possess all relevant competencies for the core grade, it will be appropriate to appoint at a lower grade until they have developed the required competencies
All applications will be reviewed after the closing date
We also offer :
Annual leave 25 days
Personal Pension Plan – Personal contribution rates of 4% or 5% (UK Power Networks will make a corresponding contribution of 8% or 10%)
Tenancy Loan Deposit scheme
Tax efficient benefits: cycle to work scheme
Season ticket loan
Occupational Health support
Switched On – scheme providing discount on hundreds of retailers products.
Supplier discounts, such as O2, EE, Vauxhall cars, Universal tyres
Discounted access to sports and social clubs
Employee Assistance Programme.
Delivery of analysis, policies and projects required to achieve UK Power Networks’ Distribution System Operator strategy. You will build and implement a suite of technical and market based solutions to improve utilisation of the distribution networks and allow the effective integration of Distributed Energy Resources (e.g. Distributed Generation, Energy Storage, Flexible Demand and Electric Vehicles) in a cost-effective manner.
- You will produce the engineering and data analysis, policies and design standards required to operate and optimise active distribution networks and allow the continued deployment of Distributed Energy Resources;
- Data analysis and development of new tools and processes for predictive (deterministic and probabilistic) modelling of distribution networks and Distributed Energy Resources;
- Product development for flexibility services and smart network solutions;
- Perform network analysis and modelling of flexibility services and smart commercial arrangements;
- You will also contribute to new and existing smart grid projects, including DERMS (Distributed Energy Resource Management Systems), and flexibility services;
- Provide training & produce processes to ensure the business integration and deployment of new solutions; and
- Represent in external working groups such as Energy Networks Association’s Open Networks project.
Nature and Scope
Electricity networks are seeing their biggest transformation since its beginnings. The Smart Grid Development team is at the heart of it. The team has 30-strong (and growing) talented professionals with a range of skills in customer engagement, power systems, energy markets, data analytics, forecasting, ICT, and project management.
The role requires an individual who is a confident and effective communicator, able to work effectively across different teams within UK Power Networks and also represent UK Power Networks’ externally.
Skills, Qualifications and Experience
- Degree in engineering or other quantitative discipline – working towards Chartered Engineer status;
- Excellent project and partner management skills;
- Understand the principles of power systems engineering;
- Practical experience of power system modelling packages, including Power Factory;
- Practical or academic experience in generation or load forecasting techniques, knowledge of generation dispatch and optimal power flow methodologies and state estimation techniques;
- Experience in scripting programming using Python and/or other quantitative applications; and
- Experience in data analytics, with strong data and statistical analysis skills
Beneficial qualifications and experience
- Postgraduate degree (MSc, MPhil, PhD) in power systems engineering or other quantitative discipline;
- Knowledge of electricity network investment and operational planning processes;
- A working knowledge of Energy Markets, including pricing and regulatory frameworks;
- A good understanding of the topology and operational characteristics of distribution and transmission networks;
- A working knowledge of the gas, heat and transport sectors;
- A project management qualification such as APMP or Prince2;
- Experience developing smart network solutions;
- Understanding the impact of low carbon technologies (solar, wind, EVs, storage) are having on the distribution network.
- Awareness of the smart solutions and new technologies that can be deployed on the distribution network in relation to current impacts that the connection of Distributed Energy resources have on UK Power Network’s distribution network; and
- Awareness of the Distribution/Grid Code and National Grid Connection and Use of System Code (CUSC).
The successful candidate should possess the following qualities:
- Strong analytical skills and the ability to problem solve;
- Be proactive and look for innovation and continuous improvement opportunities;
- Willingness to learn and adjust in a complex and fast moving environment,
- Good communication skills both written and verbal:
- Good team working skills;
- Good report writing skills – conveying complex issues simple on paper
- Strong interpersonal skills and an ability to communicate clearly and confidently at all levels of the organisation including presenting technical and financial arguments to internal and external audiences;
- Safety and environmental awareness;
- Self-motivation and the ability to work under own initiative.
Health & Safety Responsibilities
Managers and supervisors carry both legal and company responsibilities for ensuring the health and safety of their employees, those under their control and those who might be affected by the work undertaken, i.e. public, visitors and employees of other organisations. This includes briefing individuals working for them and ensuring there is the necessary understanding, competence and application of requirements to work safely and without harming the environment.
Employees will ensure they fully understand the health and safety risks involved in their work activities and their responsibility to apply the controls needed to manage those risks to acceptable levels. Similarly where work activities can have an adverse impact upon the environment, and particularly where there are legal requirements, employees will understand those impacts and the controls they must ensure are applied.
Employees need to be aware that for some craft and operational roles that work at height, or use fall arrest devices, there is an upper weight limit of 116Kg due to maximum safe working load of the safety equipment that is used.
If in doubt ask!
We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender, gender identity or expression, or veteran status. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace.
- Address Newington House, 237 Southwark Bridge Road, London, SE1 6NP
- Salary Offer £46,652 OR £56,358 - Depending on experience - Plus benefits and bonus