Leeds or Manchester
Competitive Salary + fantastic benefits
Here you’ll be welcomed. We champion diversity and we understand the importance of our people representing the communities and customers we serve. You’ll find an inclusive environment where you can be yourself and where everyone is driven by the same purpose – helping people live longer, healthier, happier lives.
Our purpose has never been more important than during Covid-19. Our approach to keeping our people, customers, visitors and patients safe is clinically-led and in line with public health guidance.
We’ve implemented effective remote working/interviewing and safety measures across all our offices, care homes and clinical locations and we will continue to review our operating practices as the situation changes.
Working in our support functions you’ll play a key part in helping our customer facing colleagues deliver exceptional standards of customer service and patient care.
As part of the Corporate Projects Legal team you will be accountable for providing legal advice to underpin delivery of Bupa’s business strategy and purpose, in particular ensuring that the legal risks and delivery of M&A and strategic projects relating to BGUK businesses are being appropriately managed and controlled.
What you’ll do:
This is a broad corporate and commercial role that will require an adaptable individual to provide professional, strategic and practical legal advice in order to manage and mitigate legal risks across our BGUK businesses. Responsibilities may include:
- Working closely with the M&A team and the Company Secretarial team to deliver effective support and advice on a broad range of corporate matters across BGUK (M&A, disposals, corporate reorganisations);
- Ensuring compliance with robust governance processes (including, where applicable, attending subsidiary company board meetings to assist the business with recording effective decision making);
- Working with key stakeholders to improve practice and protocols, in order to ensure completion of projects on budget and in time;
- Procuring and co-ordinating high quality and cost-effective external legal advice where appropriate, seeking added value from Bupa’s external legal relationships;
- Drafting and negotiating agreements with suppliers and business partners, in order to achieve agreed business outcomes and ensure compliance with all applicable law and regulation, including Bupa’s own policies, guidance and procedures.
- Advising our UK provision businesses on day to day legal risk management and risks associated with strategic initiatives which may affect corporate matters in response to Covid-19 (including advising on contractual obligations, drafting variations to agreements and advising on early stage potential disputes with counterparties). Working closely with the Tax, Employment, Finance, and Operations teams to deliver commercial solutions which are managed in line with Bupa’s risk appetite
What you’ll bring:
- The role requires a lawyer with experience of English corporate and commercial law practice. Experience in either healthcare or insurance is desirable but not essential.
- Proven track record of operating as a senior lawyer with a range of influence and capabilities across teams, clients and/or stakeholders in order to deliver corporate transactions (M&A, re-organisations etc);
- Exceptional commercial awareness; strong drafting and negotiation skills; good change management skills; proven track record of adding value; demonstrated ability to act with good judgment and discretion, including handling of sensitive matters appropriately.
- Previous experience of being in an in-house legal department is an advantage, including experience of working autonomously or with little direction;
- Experience of working in a regulated financial services environment is an advantage.
- Considerable experience of advising on and/or making risk-based decisions in a complex operating environment with multiple competing demands. Understanding the balance between commercial mechanisms and contractual mechanisms to manage risk
- Credibility to develop strong relationships with senior stakeholders, managers, peers, and wider colleagues, both legal and business and internal and external.
We are a health insurer and provider. With no shareholders, our customers are our focus. We reinvest profits into providing more and better healthcare for the benefit of current and future customers.
Our benefits are driven by what matters to our people. It’s important to us that these benefits support a work-life balance that keeps people healthy, both mentally and physically. As a Legal Advisor you’ll be eligible for:
- 25 days holiday, increasing through length of service, with option to buy or sell
- Bupa health insurance as a benefit in kind
- An enhanced pension plan and life insurance
- Annual performance-based bonus
- Onsite gyms or local discounts where no onsite gym available
- Various other benefits and online discounts
Diversity and Inclusion
Bupa is committed to making sure that every applicant is assessed solely on personal merit and qualifications. We actively celebrate the diversity of our colleagues and provide an inclusive environment so you can bring your true self to Bupa. We’ll make sure you are treated fairly regardless of disability or circumstance. That’s why we’re happy to offer reasonable adjustments as part of our recruitment process to anyone that needs them.
Whether you’ve found your feet or are discovering a new path.
Welcome to a place that celebrates you.
This isn’t where you’ve been.
This is where you’re going.
This is what we have belief in.
- Address Bupa Place 102 The Quays Salford
- Salary Offer Competitive