Job Title: Lead Operational Engineer
Reports To: Client Delivery Manager
Function: Delivery & Business Operations
Reference Number: 56386
Salary: £66,380 (depending on skills and experience) + Car
Closing Date: 4th March 2021
All applications will be reviewed after the closing date
We also provide the following additional benefits
- Annual leave 25 days
- Personal Pension Plan – Personal contribution rates of 4% or 5% (UK Power Networks will make a corresponding contribution of 8% or 10%)
- Tenancy Loan Deposit scheme
- Tax efficient benefits: cycle to work scheme
- Season ticket loan
- Occupational Health support
- Switched On – scheme providing discount on hundreds of retailers products.
- Supplier discounts, such as O2, EE, Vauxhall cars, Universal tyres
- Discounted access to sports and social clubs
- Employee Assistance Programme.
The Lead Operational Engineers role is to lead and manage their allocated operational team in all aspects of operational maintenance relating to the UK Power Networks Services and customer owned assets and associated infrastructure.
The Lead Operational Engineer will work with and support the Client Delivery Managers and other members of the UKPN Services Sector’s Senior Management team in the delivery of Business objectives and future new business identification and delivery.
Provide leadership and direction to the Operational Engineers, Apprentices and Contractors to undertake and complete the maintenance activities in a safe and efficient manner minimising disruption to the client electricity supplies.
The Lead Operational Engineer will ensure delivery of Client focused maintenance and lifecycle projects, oversee the management of all aspects of managing maintenance contract deliverables (both maintenance only and operation and maintenance) for clients with private networks infrastructure. The position holder will work to ensure high standards of safety management throughout the team in all areas of their position’s responsibility in accordance with the UK Power Networks Services Stay Safe directive.
Private HV Distribution Networks are of critical importance. Operating, maintaining and construction of the networks is a 24/7 job that requires attention to detail, dedication and ultimately a great deal of cooperation across disciplines (internal and external).
T/O Deliverable 2021: circa £2.5m
EBITDA Deliverable 2021 circa £250k
Staff: circa 15 (includes merge of DLR & Canary Wharf)
- Delivery of the maintenance programmes for the UK Power Networks Services owned assets operating at voltages through the range 33kV to 400v
- Work with the Client Delivery Manager to ensure that all programmes of work are delivered to time and budget in line with contractual commitments to time, cost and quality
- Assist in the management of budgets relating to the maintenance delivery and meet ongoing company objectives
- Lead and motivate staff under their control to ensure that UK Power Networks Services company ambitions are achieved especially in the areas of Staff and Client satisfaction.
- Ensure staff utilisation targets are met to maximise business profitability.
- Adherence to Client and UK Power Networks Services Rules and Procedures
- Ensuring compliance with CDM and UK Power Networks Services Health and Safety policies
- Developing site specific H,S & E procedures
- Compliance with UK Power Networks Services quality policies
- Operate and update asset database in respect of maintenance activities
- Responsible for both reactive and planned maintenance activities
- Carry out fault investigation and repairs as required.
- Modifying equipment and drawings to ensure the efficient operation of the substations
- Ensuring compliance with the distribution safety rules during all activities.
- Active supervision of all contractors/staff working on site
- Undertake additional activities commensurate with the job level and competency
- Maintain and build strong business relationship with the Clients Engineering and Project Management teams and their appointed principal contractors
- Seek opportunities to develop future business related to the private HV clients and make recommendation to improve the Network resilience
- Responsible for the production and distribution of task specific instruction sheets, risk assessments and method statements
- Co-ordinate day to day maintenance activities with Client / Principal Contractor’s ensuring programmes are met.
- Obtain quotations from suppliers and raise Purchase Order request in coordination with Finance & Governance team.
- Change Management – ensure all defects or areas of concern with the private network infrastructure are brought to the attention of the Client Delivery Manager & Client.
- Provide technical support as part of the team
- Deliver team briefings, give feed-back where necessary
- Identify potential project risks/opportunities (raise awareness within team / company)
- Proactively seeking continuous improvement
- Required to participate in a standby rota and work additional hours as required to maintain the supplies to the Client infrastructure
- Working unsocial hours when required to respond to faults on system
- Support the Client Delivery Manager in the delivery of the Client development and Key Account Management Plan
- Represent UKPNS at client and contractor meetings as required to meet the client requirements
- Manage the compliance with all HSE & Q procedures required by UKPNS and the clients we work with.
- Specification and procurement of goods and services to complete engineering tasks
- Day to Day Management of Operational team including setting of IPR’s, control of overtime and operational costs
- Management of the day to day activities of the team to ensure the successful completion of all engineering tasks
- Working with the Client Delivery Manager to ensure all commercial, contract and financial aspects are complied with for the Operational Team.
- Working with the Client Delivery Manager to ensure sufficient resources are available in line with the agreed plans to complete all engineering activities in line with the client requirements.
Nature and Scope
Working with the Client Delivery Manager, Operational Engineers, other team members and managers, the post holder needs to be a strong team player able to work and lead the team within a pressurised environment to focus on the successful delivery of maintenance works to time and quality, and also to the client’s satisfaction.
The post holder requires excellent communication skills in order to interact with both client and contractors.
Skills, Qualifications and Experience
- Senior Authorised Person as defined by the Distribution Safety Rules
- Experience in distribution systems through the range 11kV to 400v
- Security clearance for Client infrastructure Access.
- Medical & Drugs and Alcohol screening
- Educated to HNC level qualification in Electrical Engineering or equivalent experience
- Knowledge of distribution HV Systems
- Knowledge of specialist HV equipment for the relevant client Networks
- Ability to read drawings and understand content
- Ability to work in different environments
- Excellent analytical, organisation & planning skills
- Ability to identify problems, understand key issues and investigate alternatives
- Hold full driving licence
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office suite, Outlook, MS Project and other bespoke software packages.
- Ability to manage the budget within a defined area of the strategic operations business to ensure all costs are managed correctly
- Proven track record of managing safety to ensure our objective of Zero Harm is achieved
- A broad understanding of UK Power Networks Services businesses.
- An understanding and working knowledge of UK Power Networks Services PG&C process.
- An ability to travel around the country as the Client portfolio is UK wide.
- To possess strong and persuasive negotiating and influencing skills.
- Ability to manage time and to meet deadlines.
- To be skilful in decision making.
- Demonstrate honesty and integrity.
- Strong interpersonal skills.
- Relevant Safety Qualification such as NEBOSH
- Knowledge of Construction Design and Management Regulations
Health & Safety Responsibilities
Managers and supervisors carry both legal and company responsibilities for ensuring the health and safety of their employees, those under their control and those who might be affected by the work undertaken, i.e. public, visitors and employees of other organisations. This includes briefing individuals working for them and ensuring there is the necessary understanding, competence and application of requirements to work safely and without harming the environment.
Employees will ensure they fully understand the health and safety risks involved in their work activities and their responsibility to apply the controls needed to manage those risks to acceptable levels. Similarly where work activities can have an adverse impact upon the environment, and particularly where there are legal requirements, employees will understand those impacts and the controls they must ensure are applied.
Employees need to be aware that for some craft and operational roles that work at height, or use fall arrest devices, there is an upper weight limit of 116Kg due to maximum safe working load of the safety equipment that is used.
If in doubt ask!
We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender, gender identity or expression, or veteran status. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace.
- Salary Offer £66,380 (depending on skills and experience) + Car