|Position||Investment & Risk Manager|
|Reporting to||Head of Investment & Programme Management|
|Function||Investment & Programme Management, Asset Management|
|Location||London / Crawley / Bury St Edmunds / Flexible|
|CiP Level / Bonus||3%|
|Starting Salary||£66,380 – Plus benefits and bonus|
All applications will be reviewed after the closing date
We also offer :
Personal Pension Plan – Personal contribution rates of 4% or 5% (UK Power Networks will make a corresponding contribution of 8% or 10%)
Tenancy Loan Deposit scheme
Tax efficient benefits: cycle to work scheme
Season ticket loan
Occupational Health support
Switched On – scheme providing discount on hundreds of retailers products.
Supplier discounts, such as O2, EE, Vauxhall cars, Universal tyres
Discounted access to sports and social clubs
Employee Assistance Programme.
Lead the development, compilation and sign-off and re-prioritisation of the Asset Portfolio Plan (APP) to deliver a timely and stable plan. Lead on and manage periodic reforecasts and amendments to the plan as necessary including seeking approvals to Senior Managers / Directors. To provide an early indication of projects or areas of the plan to be accelerated or deferred come cost or commitment challenges.
Lead the Risk Management work for the Directorate and the Risk and Value project decision-making initiative to drive better solutions and efficiency from the delivery of Capital Schemes in ED1 and into ED2. Support the continued re-certification of the business to the Asset Management Standard ISO55001.
The Investment and Risk Manager will manage a small team of technical and commercial engineers/analysts and potentially external consultants.
He or she will be responsible for leading the creation, timely delivery and optimisation of the £500 million (capex and opex) annual baseline plan and the £4 billion rolling 8-year plan. There will be a need to call on the support of senior managers and teams from all Directorates in all DNOs to create the multi-dimensional team that generates the APP and helps to deliver the ongoing efficiencies that are needed.
In addition, he or she will need to lead and encourage support from; across the company directorates for the continued certification to the ISO55001 standard, across the Asset Management, Capital Programme and Procurement and Operations directorates for involvement in the Risk and Value initiative, and across the AM directorate for the Risk Management work.
- Lead and continuously improve the process to effectively compile the prioritised Asset Portfolio Plan.
- Shared accountability for delivering Stable Serviceability
- Shared accountability for successful delivery of all capital delivery indicators.
- Liaise with all organisational levels to ensure issues are raised, escalated and dealt with appropriately and in a timely manner
- Management of key stakeholders through the LAP Working Group / Steering Group process and programme
- Provide leadership to the Asset Management “horizontal” roles to ensure a consistent approach through all intersections of the process streams and value chain stages.
- Liaise with the Governance Manager within the wider Investment & Programme Management team on aspects of Network Design Review and Portfolio Governance
- Lead, develop, own and deliver the APP for the company that will enable UK Power Networks to meet all of the required regulatory outputs and company commitments in a timely, cost effective and efficient manner. Approval of the annual plan and rolling 8-year plans is a key company process, which may need to be re-forecasted and re-optimised within year whenever the company needs it.
- Lead the development of a continually improving APP process and manage the consistent approach, with key stakeholders, to the balancing of the plan, to deliver the best overall plan that meets a diverse range of business needs. Ensure that the plan is fully optimised by implementing a Prioritisation and Investment Optimisation tool for the business.
- Ensure the shared accountability for the successful creation of the APP via liaison at all organisational levels, including the Executive Management Team (EMT), to ensure key issues are raised, escalated and resolved in an appropriate and timely manner.
- Lead the liaison and collaboration with the delivery entities in Capital Programme and Procurement and Network Operations to ensure that the plan is deliverable.
- Engage with the Smart Grid team and teams in Strategy and Regulation to ensure that the business takes account of new and developing investment requirements and that the plan forms the basis of a successful ED2 submission to Ofgem.
- Continue to evolve and drive the portfolio governance process to ensure accurate and timely provision of information and promotion of schemes to the Portfolio Board and the Hong Kong Board. Ensure that appropriate change protocol process are in place to support this and that they are adhered to
- Lead the Risk Management function for the AM directorate. Liaise with the appropriate teams in Strategy and Regulation and ensure that risk management information is collated and reported on in a timely manner, up to EMT level via the Risk Assurance Report. Continually review the risk processes within AM and represent the directorate at the Risk Control Group.
- Lead and enhance the Risk and Value process both within AM and across the wider business. Drive £10m per annum efficiencies via cost benefit based decision making within the multi-disciplinary delivery teams. Work to develop a significant pool of volunteer facilitators from all directorates.
Nature and Scope
This diverse role has responsibility for some of the key processes and systems that drive and manage the Asset Management function and requires leadership and strategic management activity both within the directorate and across the business as a whole.
The £4 billion 8-year rolling plan and the £500 million annual plan includes all aspects from inspections and maintenance, through directly managed capital and on to large capital projects. Therefore establishing good connections and communication routes throughout the business is crucial to success in this role.
In an increasingly uncertain and changing regulatory and political landscape, the Risk Management functions of this role are increasingly important for the business.
To achieve all of the facets of this role the Investment and Risk Manager and his/her team will have a key focus on delivering on time, to the agreed quality and affecting change whilst providing best-in-class service to both internal and external customers.
The role requires an individual who is a strategic thinker that can translate concepts into tangible strategies and effectively deliver them. He or she will be a confident communicator, unfazed by uncertainty, who will be keen to take responsibility and be held accountable for innovative but well considered business decisions.
He or she will able to bring together different teams and stakeholders across UKPN to collaborate effectively and deliver common outcomes, typically in complex topics and under tight timescales.
Demonstrating the highest level of integrity and leading by example, he or she will be highly self-motivated and with a strong outcome-driven mentality and capable of continuously pushing the boundaries and making a real impact through involving and inspiring others.
Skills, Qualifications and Experience
- Ideally Degree in Engineering/Science/Accountancy
- Potential Postgraduate qualification in Management/Engineering/Science/Accountancy
The successful candidate should possess knowledge of the following topics:
- Some understanding of the RIIO-ED1 regulatory settlement, the outputs that Asset Management needs to deliver in terms of health and load indices and the process in place to do so.
- Some knowledge of Cost Benefit Analysis techniques
- Track record of liaising with internal stakeholders in other Directorates and potentially with external stakeholders in other DNOs, Ofgem etc.
The successful candidate should possess the following qualities:
- Proactive and customer focused
- Strong interpersonal skills and an ability to communicate clearly and confidently at different levels of the organisation including presenting technical and financial arguments to internal and external audiences
- Driver of innovation and continuous improvement opportunities
- Safety and environmental awareness
- Lead others, plan, motivate, effectively delegate, organise and control deliverables in a practical and results-focused way
- Strong analytical skills and the ability to problem solve
- Willingness to learn and adjust in a complex and fast moving environment
- Good team leader and communicator
- The ability to question people to challenge the status quo
- Awareness of key cost drivers and outputs within the industry.
Health & Safety Responsibilities
Managers and supervisors carry both legal and company responsibilities for ensuring the health and safety of their employees, those under their control and those who might be affected by the work undertaken, i.e. public, visitors and employees of other organisations. This includes briefing individuals working for them and ensuring there is the necessary understanding, competence and application of requirements to work safely and without harming the environment.
Employees will ensure they fully understand the health and safety risks involved in their work activities and their responsibility to apply the controls needed to manage those risks to acceptable levels. Similarly where work activities can have an adverse impact upon the environment, and particularly where there are legal requirements, employees will understand those impacts and the controls they must ensure are applied.
Employees need to be aware that for some craft and operational roles that work at height, or use fall arrest devices, there is an upper weight limit of 116Kg due to maximum safe working load of the safety equipment that is used.
If in doubt ask!
We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender, gender identity or expression, or veteran status. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace.
- Address Crawley
- Salary Offer Starting Salary £66,380 – Plus benefits and bonus