Government Commercial Function
Apply before 11:55 pm on Sunday 23rd May 2021
Type of role
Number of posts
About the job
As Head of the Technology Category you will be responsible for the development and execution of a commercial strategy, designing and implementing the commercial frameworks, outsourcing policies, and supplier relationships to deliver the desired commercial outcomes across Defra Group.
You will develop effective strategic and operational approaches for promoting innovation across the function. You will transform delivery within the Technology Category through rigorous and strong leadership across the profession that supports the business strategic outcomes.
- Lead, motivate and develop a professional commercial team to enable them to challenge and influence; deliver corporate outcomes and to ensure continuous improvement in all commercial activity;
- Challenge and drive measurable improvements in the governance and policy making, working collaboratively to deliver optimum commercial approaches and promote category management principles across the core spend activity;
- Champion the commercial engagement on prescribed expenditure or specialism, promoting and leading on the end-to-end commercial DNA process on behalf of the function;
- Take the strategic lead on supplier relationship and contract management to deliver customer outcomes whilst recognising the importance of the supplier’s commercial drivers / objectives;
- Promote, develop and influence the network to deliver value for money. Achieve savings targets and sustainable outcomes through innovative procurement routes and maximising the value and outputs of existing and new commercial arrangements;
- Engage with key strategic internal and external policy makers, key stakeholders such as Ministers, Directors and Senior Management peers to ensure commercial best practice is applied. Able to influence strategic decision-making across Defra;
- Promote commercial principles within the Defra network and wider Government, influencing policy where appropriate;
- Drive and lead on Lean Procurement to reduce unnecessary complexity thereby reducing inefficiency and cost, while increasing the quality of procurement outcomes;
- Drive progress against key deliverables and provide expert advice on commercial risk management; deliver innovative and flexible approaches to support the complex business agenda and the strategic objectives at corporate level;
- Engage and support lead customer directorates to develop their commercial capability;
- Employ excellent communication, negotiation and influencing skills to enable an effective change management with stakeholders at all levels (including board members) who may hold conflicting views;
- Be amongst the most senior members of the Government Commercial Function and play a role in the broader commercial reform programme led by the Government Chief Commercial Officer;
- Play a key leadership and change management role in developing a strong commercial function for Defra Group Commercial and across government.
We’ll assess you against these technical skills during the selection process:
- Assertive – Proven leadership experience with a track record of driving a diverse and inclusive working culture with employees, contractors, suppliers and consultants and leading teams through large scale strategic change.
- Commercial Focus – Proven track record of strong financial management and delivering value for money as well as managing the legal and technical aspects of complex technology projects.
- Builds Relationships-Successfully worked with range of stakeholders & external partners, using communication & collaboration, gravitas to challenge assumptions, negotiate & influence the direction in complex, ambiguous regulated environments.
- Coaching Manager – Experience coaching and mentoring, to build the capability at all levels of a commercial function.
- Procurement Process – Extensive experience of contract and procurement management, successfully leading and delivering a portfolio of multi-million-pound technology contracts in a complex and demanding environment.
- Contract & SRM – Evidence of excellent SRM; procuring, implementing & managing complex contracts. Developing collaborative relationships across the supply chain to maximise innovation, VfM & efficiency. Resolved disputes through negotiation
Things you need to know
Selection process details
The closing date for this role is the 23rd May 2021. If you register your details on the job advert on the close date, you will have 24 hours to then send your CV and statement of suitability to email@example.com for your application to be progressed.For full details of our process, and a likely timeline, please read the explanation provided in the attached candidate pack.Feedback will only be provided if you attend an interview or assessment.
Working for the Civil Service
Apply and further information
Contact point for applicants
|Job contact :|
|Name :||Sean Kelly|
|Recruitment team :|
- Salary Offer https://www.civilservicejobs.service.gov.uk/csr/index.cgi?SID=c2VhcmNoX3NsaWNlX2N1cnJlbnQ9MSZvd25lcnR5cGU9ZmFpciZqb2JsaXN0X3ZpZXdfdmFjPTE3MTc1OTkmb3duZXI9NTA3MDAwMCZ1c2Vyc2VhcmNoY29udGV4dD0xMjU5ODgyMTYmcGFnZWNsYXNzPUpvYnMmcGFnZWFjdGlvbj12aWV3dmFjYnlqb2JsaXN0JmNzb3VyY2U9Y3Nxc2VhcmNoJnJlcXNpZz0xNjE5MTkyMDIxLWZmYzllYTFmNmIwMGNhYTE5M2YxMjg5Njg0M2M5M2Y0NzExZTVmNTQ=