Coventry Live has a brilliant opportunity for an experienced content editor to lead our content desk and team of reporters.
We’re looking for a talented and self-motivated manager bursting with ideas and keen to step up to the next level in their career to join us as our Head of Content.
The ideal candidate will be multi-talented and eager to lead the newsroom in creating high-performing content and help us further grow our audience.
You’ll have a brilliant eye for a digital story, will be able to identify the right audience for it and know exactly how to best sell it to generate traffic from social and search. Applicants must also have previous experience as a content editor.
We are continually evolving and looking into new ways of getting our content out to a huge audience across our patch. In addition, we are also set to add to our team with two new members of staff dedicated to Warwickshire Live, which is also run from the centre and provides a fresh opportunity for us to expand our audiences into new areas in the wider county which are not traditionally covered by our print titles.
This is an exciting opportunity to join a brilliant team of dedicated and experienced journalists. The job requires weekly day shift and weekend work. The post will be home based.
The new Head of Content will also work alongside the Editor for Coventry, Leicestershire and Northants to help drive the strategic vision for our sites.
In return you’ll receive a competitive salary and support to reach your career aspirations.
This is a home based opportunity however due to the nature of the position the successful candidate will need to live in the region.
- Lead the content team by helping to set the daily content agenda, constantly monitoring, publishing and ensuring the team responds to breaking news that matters to our audience
- Direct and brief the team on the stories they should be creating and how each story should be written and packaged to appeal to a digital audience on search, social or both
- Ensure that everything we use is legally sound
- Edit copy in escenic, improve headlines and packaging, send back where necessary with guidance and coach reporters on ways to improve what they do
- Set and enforce copy deadlines throughout each day to ensure we are responding to audience spikes but also meeting obligations for a smooth copy flow
- Set, communicate, and measure audience targets for the content team
- Ensure digital data informs content decisions, sharing the right data at the right time
- Implement group-led digital initiatives, performance reporting, and social media
- Help develop members of the Coventry team including our content editor and senior reporting staff, as well as trainees
- Help content creators to develop the skills and experience they need to step in to the content desk roles
- Ensure effective use of data and analytical tools across the team
- Ensure that opportunities for digital content creation and development and social media activity
- Senior journalist qualifications
- At least two years’ editorial management experience and proven leadership and motivational skills, particularly through times of change
- Detailed understanding, and demonstrable experience, of successfully delivering editorial strategy and growing audience
- Proven digital skills including experience of using web publishing systems, SEO, social media and digital audience behaviour
- A solid understanding of how to engage and attract audiences across digital platforms
- Ability to use and apply learning through digital analytics
- Proven experience of making effective contribution at, and/or, leading conferences
- Excellent communication and presentation skills, both verbal and written
- Adaptable and flexible, with a flexible approach to shifts
- Creativity and flair
- Excellent organisational skills and ability to work under pressure and deliver to deadlines
- A positive, can-do attitude
- Detailed understanding of editorial strategy
- The digital publishing strategy will be continually updated to reflect changes in audience and customer needs and behaviour and our own learning and development. Our performance as a newsroom and your performance as an individual will be regularly assessed
- You will be expected to meet targets for audience growth, page views, unique users and local engagement and make effective use of digital journalism tools and social media.
So, who are we?
We are Reach plc, you might not have heard of us but we have probably met without you even realising it. We are home to the UK and Ireland’s most iconic digital platforms, magazines and newspapers. From the Mirror, Daily Express and OK!, to our regional titles such as the Liverpool Echo, BirminghamLive and the Manchester Evening News (plus lots more), our brands and the stories we cover are as varied as our people. We help all kinds of people share experiences through our stories because we believe this is what makes us human. Oh, and we should probably also mention that with a monthly readership of 47 million people, Reach is the largest commercial publisher in the UK. At Reach, not only will you feel better understood, you will also feel you understand other people better too.
- 25 days holiday per annum
- Contributory pension scheme
- Simply Health Healthcare Cashplan
- Holiday purchase scheme
- Free wellbeing apps and coaching support
- Lots of high street discounts!
Reach plc believes diversity brings benefits for our customers, our business and our people. This is why we are committed to being an inclusive employer and encourage applications from all suitable applicants irrespective of background, circumstances, age, disability, gender identity, ethnicity, religion or belief and sexual orientation.