|Position||Geospatial Analytics Developer|
|Reporting to||Head of Asset Information|
|Function||Asset Management (Enterprise Data Management)|
|Location||London, Colchester, Bury St Edmunds, Crawley|
|CiP Level / Bonus||3%|
|Starting Salary||£46,652 – Plus Benefits and Bonus|
All applications will be reviewed after the closing date
We also offer :
Personal Pension Plan – Personal contribution rates of 4% or 5% (UK Power Networks will make a corresponding contribution of 8% or 10%)
Tenancy Loan Deposit scheme
Tax efficient benefits: cycle to work scheme
Season ticket loan
Occupational Health support
Switched On – scheme providing discount on hundreds of retailers products.
Supplier discounts, such as O2, EE, Vauxhall cars, Universal tyres
Discounted access to sports and social clubs
Employee Assistance Programme.
To satisfy our ambitious digitalisation plans, we are looking for an experienced and capable Geospatial Analytics Developer. This is a newly established role that works at the intersection of data analysis, programming and cartography. Their primary responsibilities include developing visualisations and analysis of spatial data through mapping software.
The role requires a highly skilled candidate who will have responsibility for discovering patterns and trends through spatial mapping, developing mapping applications and tools and managing a digital library of geographic maps in various file types, among other duties.
- No line management or budgetary accountabilities.
- Configuration of NetMap and associated geospatial applications to meet prevailing business requirements and operational needs.
- Facilitation of GIS data quality control through the development and application of robust systemised validation and control mechanisms.
- Provision of geospatial analytics and data provisioning services, meeting the needs of both internal and external stakeholders.
- Integration and analysis of spatial and non-spatial data.
- Discovering patterns and trends through spatial mapping of topographical data.
- Designing digital maps with geographic data and other data sources.
- Developing mapping applications and tools to cater for a range of internal and external use cases.
- Performing data wrangling and cleansing to convert data into its desired form.
- Produce reports on geographic data utilising data visualisations.
- Curating a digital library of geographic services in various file types.
- Act as a subject matter expert within the organisation on geospatial analytics and associated geospatial data, advising and supporting business stakeholders.
- Execution of asset system meta-data analysis and required updates.
- Provide corporate stewardship of geospatial services and analytical products.
- Production and development of specifications for GIS system enhancements and data configuration, along with associated planning, testing and implementation.
- Resolution of data issues and conflicts within individual geospatial analytics services.
- Development of training and guidance materials for geospatial analytics services and applications.
- Actively contribute to data assurance and audit activities to ensure business compliance with data and information related processes and procedures.
Nature & Scope
The Geospatial Analytics Developer reports to the Geospatial Systems Manager within the Asset Management directorate. The Asset Management function is responsible for the development of investment plans and programmes to improve the performance and maintain the condition of a regulated asset base of £4billion with an MEAV of £28billion, across a network serving 8 million customers.
Asset information is a combination of data about our physical assets used to inform decisions about how they are managed, both for short term operational purposes and for long term strategic planning. The Asset Information function is responsible for determining information requirements within an asset management context, how it should be collected, stored and analysed, and communicated both internally and externally to our stakeholders and regulator.
Ultimately, good asset information is crucial in the successful operation of our business. It is necessary for accurate and informed decision making with respect to when and how we should invest in and operate our network, ensures the safe operation of our assets through timely and appropriate maintenance, and guarantees accurate reporting to the regulator with respect to both our investment plans and associated achievement.
The successful candidate will be a key member of a multi-disciplinary team, delivering asset information management strategies and initiatives that will cement UK Power Networks position as the leading UK DNO with respect to safety, customer service and efficiency.
The post holder will be required to build strong relationships with senior stakeholders throughout the business, a number of key external stakeholders, strategic suppliers and contractors. The role therefore requires effective interpersonal skills and an ability to communicate clearly and confidently at all levels of the organisation.
It is our ambition to be regarded as an industry leader in the area of asset information. Above all, the role holder must have the capability to lead with the vision and motivation to deliver against this objective.
Qualifications & Experience
- Minimum degree level or equivalent experience in GIS / data / computer science or engineering.
- Proficiency with database and object oriented programming languages such as SQL, R or Python.
- Knowledge of database design, implementation, and administration.
- Experience with Geographic Information Systems such as GE SmallWorld and QGIS.
- Experience with GPS measuring tools.
- Experience of testing development systems and conducting formal UAT.
- Excellent written and verbal communication.
- Good interpersonal skills.
- Significant focused experience driving information and data development initiatives.
- Ability to measure, evaluate and optimise information systems, using best practice testing, evaluation and continuous improvement methodologies.
Key Behaviours & Competencies
- Structured, organised, process driven and outcome oriented.
- Excellent communication, organisational and presentational skills.
- Outstanding quantitative skill set.
- Attention to detail and good problem-solving skills.
- Analytical mind-set.
- The ability to translate complicated technical data issues into tangible business implications and impact.
- High level numeracy and analytical skills.
- Experience of integrating contextual data into digital platforms.
- The ability to collaborate effectively, bringing together subject matter experts from across the business.
- Proficient in the use of Microsoft desktop applications, including Word, Excel and PowerPoint.
Health & Safety Responsibilities
Managers and supervisors carry both legal and company responsibilities for ensuring the health and safety of their employees, those under their control and those who might be affected by the work undertaken, i.e. public, visitors and employees of other organisations. This includes briefing individuals working for them and ensuring there is the necessary understanding, competence and application of requirements to work safely and without harming the environment.
Employees will ensure they fully understand the health and safety risks involved in their work activities and their responsibility to apply the controls needed to manage those risks to acceptable levels. Similarly where work activities can have an adverse impact upon the environment, and particularly where there are legal requirements, employees will understand those impacts and the controls they must ensure are applied.
Employees need to be aware that for some craft and operational roles that work at height, or use fall arrest devices, there is an upper weight limit of 116Kg due to maximum safe working load of the safety equipment that is used.
If in doubt ask!
We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender, gender identity or expression, or veteran status. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace.
- Address Newington House
- Salary Offer Starting Salary £46,652 - Plus Benefits and Bonus