About Police Now
Our mission is to transform communities by recruiting, developing, and inspiring diverse leaders in policing. We are working towards a day when every community, whatever the socio-economic background of its residents, can thrive without residents being fearful of crime.
Police Now is an equal opportunities employer committed to driving diversity and inclusion in policing and within our Head Office. We strongly encourage applicants from all backgrounds, experiences and walks of life. At Police Now, our goal is to ensure our workforce reflects the communities that we serve, everyone is treated with dignity and respect as well as empowered to contribute their best.
We believe that diversity in our workforce is not just a ‘nice to have’, it’s a business imperative and everyone’s responsibility.
Launched in 2014, Police Now trains graduates and career changers with leadership potential to be inspirational police officers and outstanding crime fighters on our National Graduate Leadership Programme as well as our new National Detective Programme.
Police Now is a rapidly growing not-for-profit social enterprise with nearly 150 employees, and as such we are looking for individuals to join the team who have an entrepreneurial, flexible style and will contribute effectively to the development and leadership of this evolving organisation.
Everything we do reflects our values: Believe, Achieve, and Develop. For more information on the work we do and our values, please visit www.policenow.org.uk.
What you’ll do
Police Now is currently seeking a Facilitation and Training Manager to lead a new and exciting team within the organisation. This is an excellent time to join Police Now, a rapidly growing social enterprise, giving the successful candidate the opportunity to significantly influence Police Now’s internal development and to support the improvement of police training on a national scale.
The Facilitation and Training Manager will be a senior role within the curriculum team, working closely with other managers in curriculum-specific and university relationship management roles.
The broader team is composed of those with educational and operational policing backgrounds, giving a wealth of knowledge and experience to draw on. The successful candidate will also oversee a Facilitation and Training Officer, who is will be recruited shortly after the manager role.
The facilitation element of this role focuses on close collaboration with the curriculum team to ensure adequate facilitation cover is provided for all events, produced content is delivered in an effective and engaging manner, and a full evaluation of the content delivery is completed and actioned. This includes the leadership of all online and in-person facilitation across both of our programmes, such as:
- Academies – online and residential training events at the beginning of the Police Now programmes (this would include the facilitation of specific content only as the majority is delivered by a team of seconded Police Officers).
- Impact Events – in-person training days where participants present back on their impact in role and attend learning sessions.
- Skills sessions – online events which focus on skill building around concepts such as Diversity and Inclusion, or communication.
There will also be an expectation that the successful candidate will lead on the training of facilitation roles across the organisation, bringing research-backed knowledge and expertise to all Police Now events. They will own the facilitation work strand of the programme, leading on guidance and best practice for an outstanding end-to-end experience and creating a coherent learner journey for our participants.
The training-specific element of the role will initially focus on two major projects for the development of Police Now staff. The first is to lead on the improvement of staff training for academy-specific roles, working closely with colleagues across the Programme Team to produce a structured training offer to ensure all staff are prepared for their academy role.
The second project will be to work alongside colleagues in the Participant Impact and Development team to support with the planning of exceptional coaching training for the Performance and Development Coaches.
We are looking for experienced managers with excellent knowledge in training, and online and in-person facilitation. The successful candidate will have the energy, knowledge, and creativity to really lead this area and contribute to exceptional learning experiences for both participants and Police Now staff alike.
This is a fantastic opportunity to shape the Police Now offer in a significant way, ensuring we remain at the forefront of learning and development within the sector.
Your role will be to
- Work with the Head of Curriculum to set the vision for Police Now’s facilitation and training programme, establishing ambitious targets that will drive consistent programmatic improvement.
- Lead facilitation as an end-to-end programmatic workstream, adding coherence and depth to the current offer.
- Work in collaboration with other teams to ensure seamless continuity throughout the programmes, focusing on training exceptional police officers and accelerating impact on local communities.
- Lead a high performing team to deliver an outstanding facilitation and training offer, ensuring all expertise is utilised to create the most effective outcomes available.
- Hold accountability for the impact of the team, working closely with data and research to ensure continual progress.
- Troubleshoot any problems and feedback improvements for immediate or long-term effect.
- Lead on the training and development of facilitation skills across the programme, including internal staff, contractors, and seconded police officers.
- Manage a facilitation and training budget to ensure all events are correctly staffed and that pre-designed content is delivered in an effective and engaging manner.
- Lead on the design and implementation of a facilitation quality assurance process, ensuring robust feedback is available to all facilitators to aid continual improvement.
- Design a full evaluation process for facilitation across the organisation, looping back into training and development plans.
- Lead a project to improve internal training for academy roles, ensuring all staff attending an academy feel ready for their position and are effective in role.
- Support the Participant Impact and Development (PID) team in planning and implementing coaching training for a team of frontline staff; advising on the best way to deliver an accredited training offer, that also offers opportunity for coach CPD.
- Reflect on the requirements for 1-2-1 and group coaching within PID, developing process, and learning journeys that facilitate powerful and relevant learning experiences and align with Competency Frameworks in leadership and Evidence-Based Policing.
- Support additional internal projects as required.
Who we’re looking for
In this position of senior responsibility and autonomy we are looking for someone with a real commitment to Police Now’s mission and values who is excited by the prospect of delivering one
of the most innovative police training courses in the UK.
While the successful candidate will work with a team that includes considerable training and policing knowledge, you will need to have extensive curriculum or training expertise alongside substantial experience of both online and in-person facilitation.
The successful candidate in this role will also have a proven track record for managing teams, budgets, and project plans to ensure successful delivery. An ability to manage deadlines and handle ambiguity with a calm, can-do attitude will also be important.
What you’ll need
- Significant experience in a curriculum or training role, with good knowledge of adult learning theory and deliberate practice.
- Substantial facilitation experience which must include both online and in-person delivery.
- Excellent knowledge of best practice in facilitation, including research underpinning the field.
- Experience of leading a team, managing budgets and project planning to ensure the successful completion of multiple work strands.
- An interest in, and understanding of, the policing sector and the values and mission of Police Now.
- High levels of resilience and the ability to manage ambiguity.
- Strong problem solving and decision-making skills, mixed with a calm, can-do attitude that always looks for solutions.
- Comfortable with remote working and able to manage your own time.
- Willingness to travel within England and Wales, which may be significant at certain points of the year.
- Willingness to forgo annual leave during Academy delivery periods – such as over Easter or in the summer – in favour of taking leave at other times of the year.
- Experience in designing quality assurance processes with excellent outcomes for improved delivery.
- Knowledge of outstanding coaching and coaching supervision.
- Degree qualified (preferably at Masters level or level 7 equivalent).
What you’ll get from us
- A bright, airy, modern and buzzing office near Liverpool Street, Central London (Zone 1). Please note that during the Covid-19 pandemic, the role will be home based, and you will be working online/remotely. Inductions will also be conducted virtually.
- A supported working from home set-up with the technology and equipment required.
- Competitive salary of £43,000 – £55,000 per annum dependent on experience and location.
- Flexible working.
- 27 days holiday each year plus bank holidays.
- Sanctus coaching (private mental health coaching for the workplace).
- Access to the Vitality programme which includes healthcare benefits, an Employee Assistance Programme and discounts.
- Personal Development budget (after a qualifying period).
- Participation in a pension scheme (with 5% employer contributions and 3% employee contributions).
This job description is issued as a guideline. It is not exhaustive, and we would be pleased to discuss any constructive comments you may have. Due to the evolving nature and changing demands of our business this job description may be subject to change. You may, on occasions, be required to undertake additional or other duties within the context of this job description and according to the needs of the organisation.
Applications will be screened as they are received and invited to interview accordingly. Police Now reserves the right to close the advert prior to the advertised date, should a suitable applicant be appointed. Early applications are therefore encouraged.
Please note that some roles within Police Now require certain levels of National Security Vetting or screening in order to effectively work with our partners. Therefore, we may ask you to complete this if you are successful.
Closing Date: 06th April 2021
First round: 22nd April 2021
Final round: 28th April 2021
- Address Regional - Home Working
- Salary Offer £43,000 - £55,000 per annum dependent on experience and location