|Position||DSO Forecasting Lead|
|Reporting to||Head of Smart Grid Development|
|Function||Asset Management, Smart Grid Development Team|
|Location||London / Crawley / Bury St Edmunds|
|CiP Level / Bonus||3%|
|Starting Salary||£66,380 – Plus benefits and bonus|
All applications will be reviewed after the closing date
We also offer :
Personal Pension Plan – Personal contribution rates of 4% or 5% (UK Power Networks will make a corresponding contribution of 8% or 10%)
Tenancy Loan Deposit scheme
Tax efficient benefits: cycle to work scheme
Season ticket loan
Occupational Health support
Switched On – scheme providing discount on hundreds of retailers products.
Supplier discounts, such as O2, EE, Vauxhall cars, Universal tyres
Discounted access to sports and social clubs
Employee Assistance Programme.
The job holder will take accountability for development and management of the forecasting capability at UK Power Networks. This will include the development of robust models and supporting tools, business processes and skills to derive forecasts and actionable insights that are then used in operational and strategic decision-making. The initial focus will be on the forecasting of demand, distributed generation and battery storage with a focus on electricity distribution network planning and supporting local stakeholder transition to net zero.
The job holder will report to the Head of Smart Grid Development and will have 3-5 direct line management reports. They will be responsible for a budget of up to £1M per annum and the output of the work will be influencing multi-million pound strategic decisions across UK Power Networks.
Technical Leadership and Project Management
- Develop and implement a road map for our forecasting strategy out to end of ED2 ensuring UK Power Networks have and maintain leading forecasting capabilities taking into consideration the rapidly varying demand and generation profiles as well as energy markets dynamics;
- Ownership, embedment and further development of UKPN’s forecasting tools
- Production of regular forecasts to support internal and external needs and regulatory submissions such as the Long Term Development Statement and Planning Load Estimates
- Work closely with other teams across the business to ensure full alignment of all projects required to feed in to the company wide forecasting strategy. Develop new projects (and subsequently run) to meet the emerging forecasting requirements and track the best innovations from other DNOs and abroad and implement them in UK Power Networks;
- Responsible for the ongoing production, continuous improvement and streamlining of data reporting to National Grid and other stakeholders to support transparency of decision making processes and establishing the DSO as a trusted partner.
Leadership and Stakeholder Engagement
- You will Lead a team of direct reports, other staff and external contractors / partners; ensure that they have adequate resources; and guide them on time, cost, quality, health and safety, and environmental performance of their respective work areas;
- You will build strong relationships with key internal and external stakeholders at all levels to understand and prioritise emerging forecasting requirements and use insights to feed them in to the company wide forecasting strategy and present findings and recommendations to SMT / EMT.
- You will represent UK Power Networks in the development of national frameworks such as industry codes and the Energy Network’s Association’s Open Networks project and translate the frameworks into action plans for internal implementation.
Nature and Scope
Electricity networks are seeing their biggest transformation since its beginnings. The Smart Grid Development team is at the heart of it. The team has 30-strong (and growing) talented professionals with a range of skills in customer engagement, power systems, energy markets and managing projects. This team is tasked with producing and implementing DSO strategies and solution. We have ambitious goals to meet in this exciting area and are transforming the way we work using technology and innovation to do things differently.
The role requires an individual with excellent technical, people and project skills and the ability to communicate complex concepts simply at all levels. The role involves extensive internal collaboration and stakeholder management to bring together ideas, data and insights to drive continuous improvement.
The role also includes external representation and collaboration with our customers and the industry. This is a unique opportunity to develop thinking and deliver results that will shape the industry for the years to come.
Skills, Qualifications and Experience
Essential skills, qualifications and experience
Experience in operational research, modelling, statistical analysis, simulation, forecasting or scenario creation;
- Experience of managing teams and leading projects with track record of delivering results and benefits with focus on business change
- Strong commercial focus and experience of presenting analysis work at a senior level;
- Significant experience in building tools / models that process and analyse data from a variety of sources in order to deliver meaningful insights;
- High-level of computer literacy, particularly excellent Excel skills and also use of data science & programming tools (e.g. Python, PowerBI, SQL, Visual Basic) ;
- Degree or equivalent in engineering, science, mathematics, economics, computer or data science.
Beneficial skills, qualifications and experience
Understanding of the principles of power systems engineering and modelling;
- Practical experience in generation or load forecasting techniques, knowledge of generation dispatch and optimal power flow methodologies and state estimation techniques.
- Postgraduate degree (MSc, MBA, MPhil, PhD)
The successful candidate should possess the following qualities:
- Ability to influence and communicate clearly and confidently at all levels of the organisation;
- Strategic thinker and proactive in looking for innovation and continuous improvement opportunities;
- Ability to drive projects to completion;
- Strong analytical skills and the ability to problem solve.
Health & Safety Responsibilities
Managers and supervisors carry both legal and company responsibilities for ensuring the health and safety of their employees, those under their control and those who might be affected by the work undertaken, i.e. public, visitors and employees of other organisations. This includes briefing individuals working for them and ensuring there is the necessary understanding, competence and application of requirements to work safely and without harming the environment.
Employees are responsible for ensuring they fully understand the health and safety risks involved in their work activities and their responsibility to apply the controls needed to manage those risks to acceptable levels. Similarly where work activities can have an adverse impact upon the environment, and particularly where there are legal requirements, Employees are responsible for understanding those impacts and the controls they must ensure are applied.
If in doubt ask!
We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender, gender identity or expression, or veteran status. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace.
- Address Newington House
- Salary Offer Starting Salary £66,380 – Plus benefits and bonus