We are building a cadre of commercial talent in all Government departments; people who can manage our commercial portfolios, who can lead our most complex and novel programmes and projects, people who have the gravitas and depth of experience to work alongside our policy and operational leaders to develop innovative commercial arrangements, whether through joint ventures, outsourcing or best-in-class contracts.
The Government Commercial Organisation is an employer which is truly committed to creating a welcoming, inclusive workplace where all our people are able to bring their whole selves to work and are able to perform to their potential. We understand the importance of diversity and inclusion and strive for a workplace that reflects the communities which we serve. We especially welcome applications from underrepresented groups including Black, Asian and Minority Ethnic (BAME) candidates, candidates with a disability and candidates with gender-diverse identities. Appointments will be made on merit on the basis of fair and open competition.
We have already made significant progress through the establishment of the Government Commercial Organisation (GCO), our single employer of senior commercial talent across government. This role will sit within the GCO, but based in our MoD commercial team delivering departmental objectives.
- Work closely with the MOD central team and guiding hands to ensure that strategies are appropriate across the wider estate, delivering incremental benefit and assuring delivery excellence;
- Work with the wider DIO team to deliver a methodology that both meets and complements the existing business project management office requirements, ensuring that Category Strategies are embedded into the way that the business operates, and stakeholder buy in and approval is achieved;
- Provide deep subject matter expertise for the categories of spend managed to ensure that solutions are credible and that the capability to advise within DIO is enhanced. This knowledge should encompass and not be limited to value levers, legislation, market dynamics, total cost modelling and emergent / disruptive technologies;
- Influencing customer needs and demand planning by implementing, in conjunction with the Customer Support Team, a strategic review of Command Infrastructure Development Plans (CIDP’s) with a view to developing and implementing strategic sourcing strategies via Category Management Planning to elevate procurement activity to more value adding activity;
- Develop positive working relationships with TLB’s and Stakeholders across the public sector to raise awareness of DIO’s commercial offering and develop effective aggregation of projects;
- Implement and conduct market analysis to fully leverage procurement decisions on behalf of DIO – determine and continually monitor current supply market position in the specific category spend areas to identify both over and under capacity and incorporate these into the decision-making process;
- Extensive knowledge of procurement and a working knowledge of public sector contract regulations (OJEU);
- Cross Government consultation (in particular wider MOD and Crown Commercial Services (CCS)) and to ensure alignment and purpose of Category Management Strategies;
- Research and identification of innovative procurement solutions across the public sector that can be implemented within a specific category of spend;
We’ll assess you against these technical skills during the selection process:
- Coaching Manager – Ability to present technical issues to senior stakeholders and helps arrive at decisions by acting in an advisory capacity;
- Risk Mindset – Understands the key commercial risks across DIO and ensure these robustly managed;
- Strategy and Policy Development – Ability to develop Category Management Strategies which align to Public Procurement policy and lead the pipeline of Procurement for DIO;
- Builds Relationships – Skilled and experienced in stakeholder management with both internal customers and Suppliers;
- Market Insight – Experience/knowledge of shaping the market and understanding Market trends and fragility. Knowledge of Market barriers and innovations within Category specialism of Facilities Management;
- Manages Complexity – Able to work with a range of complex delivery models (e.g. prime contracting/management/contracting /turnkey/outsourcing/partnering such as PPP/PFI);
Closing Date: 28th February 2021
- Address MoD Main Building (Whitehall, London), Glasgow, Andover, Whittington and Wyton
- Salary Offer £70,176 - £96,909 GCO Pension, GCO Terms & up to 15% performance-related-pay available on accreditation