Building a strong Commercial Function in Government, and with it the right commercial capability, is at the heart of a far-reaching programme of Civil Service reform.
We are building a cadre of commercial talent in all Government departments; people who can manage our commercial portfolios, who can lead our most complex and novel programmes and projects, people who have the gravitas and depth of experience to work alongside our policy and operational leaders to develop innovative commercial arrangements, whether through joint ventures, outsourcing or best-in-class contracts.
The Government Commercial Organisation is an employer which is truly committed to creating a welcoming, inclusive workplace where all our people are able to bring their whole selves to work and are able to perform to their potential. We understand the importance of diversity and inclusion and strive for a workplace that reflects the communities which we serve. We especially welcome applications from underrepresented groups including Black, Asian and Minority Ethnic (BAME) candidates, candidates with a disability and candidates with gender-diverse identities. Appointments will be made on merit on the basis of fair and open competition.
We have already made significant progress through the establishment of the Government Commercial Organisation (GCO), our single employer of senior commercial talent across government. This role will sit within the GCO, but based in our MoD commercial team delivering departmental objectives.
Meeting ID: 914 2326 2958
One tap mobile
+442034815237,,91423262958#,,,,*020065# United Kingdom
+442034815240,,91423262958#,,,,*020065# United Kingdom
Dial by your location
+44 203 481 5237 United Kingdom
+44 203 481 5240 United Kingdom
+44 203 901 7895 United Kingdom
+44 208 080 6591 United Kingdom
+44 208 080 6592 United Kingdom
+44 330 088 5830 United Kingdom
+44 131 460 1196 United Kingdom
Find your local number: https://zoom.us/u/auZHqrtkx
This role leads and manages the Commercial Team, Legal Advisors and SME support on the development of the Commercial Documentation for the Competitive Dialogue Process and the drafting and completion of the final Contract Document set for Contract Award. The post holder will be a Senior member of the AFRP team and responsible for the Strategic Commercial Advice and Decisions on the Programme. Stakeholder Management of a diverse set of stakeholders within Army, Navy and Air, the broader MOD and wider Government. The post will have line management responsibility for 11 staff.
The Deputy Head AFRP Commercial is a member of the Army Commercial Senior Leadership Team and have responsibility for corporate activity including Transformation of the Commercial Function and supporting the Diversity and Inclusion workstreams in both Commercial and Army HQ. This post provides an excellent opportunity to build on your existing skill set across a number of commercial disciplines and to raise your profile.
The Programme is currently in the Sourcing stage of procurement with the Contract Tendering being undertaken as a Competitive Dialogue. Contract award in expected in late 2022 with transition through to full contract commencement in March 2024.
- Leadership of the Commercial Team, developing the skills and competencies of the team to ensure the team outputs are commercially sound and deliver the AFRP Contract for MOD;
- Management of the Development of the Contract Document Set for the Competitive Dialogue Process inc:
- Reviewing and commenting on the draft Key Contract T&Cs
- Managing the Legal Team
- Support the Competitive Dialogue Process
- Supporting the Cabinet Office Approval Procedure for Gold Contract award;
- Lead on the development and implementation of the commercial strategies for recruitment (service, software, marketing, medical and physical assessment) helping to generate ideas for securing better value for money;
- Lead and Manage the Transition commercial activity of the 16 existing Contracts and identify and manage the risks and issues;
- Manage the procurement process from pre sourcing, through the procurement process (expected to involve both ITN and ITT) to contract mobilisation, with support into contract stabilisation also expected;
- Understand and help manage the risk within procurement activities inc the management of the data room, commercial tender Award tool and Competitive Dialogue process;
- Contribute to the Army Commercial Senior Leadership Team, working collaboratively to deliver the Army Commercial leadership objectives;
- Act as a mentor to Commercial and non-Commercial staff, helping to lead team development events and master classes for non-commercial MOD personnel;
We’ll assess you against these technical skills during the selection process:
- Manages Complexity – Significant experience in managing the Commercial activity within a complex procurement projects either within the public sector or a Public Sector facing Contract;
- Coaching Manager – Experience in Building and Developing a commercial team of both internal staff, legal teams and SME support with an increase in measurable capability to a high performing team;
- Procurement Process – Experience of developing High Value and Complex Contract Documents and Terms and Conditions, underpinned by an in depth understanding of the fundamentals of procurement and commercial activity;
- Builds Relationships – Ability to work collaboratively as a member of a larger team, able to secure the confidence and build strong working relationships with colleagues as well as with internal and external suppliers and stakeholders;
- Contract and Supplier Management – Experience of Competitive Dialogue with Suppliers on high value complex requirements, developing Negotiation and Evaluation Strategies to support the Dialogue and Contract Award
Closing Date: 03rd March 2021
- Address Andover
- Salary Offer £70,176 - £96,909 GCO Pension, GCO Terms & up to 15% performance-related-pay available on accreditation