We are building a cadre of commercial talent in all Government departments; people who can manage our commercial portfolios, who can lead our most complex and novel programmes and projects, people who have the gravitas and depth of experience to work alongside our policy and operational leaders to develop innovative commercial arrangements, whether through joint ventures, outsourcing or best-in-class contracts.
The Government Commercial Organisation is an employer which is truly committed to creating a welcoming, inclusive workplace where all our people are able to bring their whole selves to work and are able to perform to their potential. We understand the importance of diversity and inclusion and strive for a workplace that reflects the communities which we serve. We especially welcome applications from underrepresented groups including Black, Asian and Minority Ethnic (BAME) candidates, candidates with a disability and candidates with gender-diverse identities. Appointments will be made on merit on the basis of fair and open competition.
We have already made significant progress through the establishment of the Government Commercial Organisation (GCO), our single employer of senior commercial talent across government. This role will sit within the GCO, but based in our CCS commercial team delivering departmental objectives.
CCS is looking for a proactive Energy’ industry expert with a strong reputation for innovative delivery, commercial excellence, and commodity expertise to shape the Energy market and drive outstanding commercial agreements.
The successful candidate should have Energy expertise and knowledge to spot trends and change markets accordingly, enabling our customers to make informed decisions around their business and work in a way which suits their current and future business needs.
Leading the Energy CCS team, the category scope includes sourcing, commercial and supplier management activity.
- Management of significant expenditure and contracts with total annual values up to £1.7BN, driving cost savings and efficiencies for the Public Sector ;
- Leadership and change management in developing a strong commercial function for CCS ;
- Stakeholder management with the Government Communication Services dept, the Prime Minister’s office and the Executive Director for Government Communications ;
- Senior stakeholder engagement including with Director Generals, Commercial Directors and Chief Executives from customers and supplier organisations ;
- Ownership of creation, execution and evolution of world class, market leading category strategy in the Energy space across Central Government (CG) and the Wider Public Sector (WPS) in complex markets, transforming category management ;
- Ensuring maximum savings are delivered to the business, by reshaping the delivery of category strategy and redefining contractual approach, deliver added value by having a deep understanding of market opportunities ;
- Representing CCS at Trade Associations and other industry forums to network amongst peers and present CCS as market shaping ;
- Lead, coach and develop a team of procurement professionals as well as working as part of the Buildings Pillar Leadership team ;
- Be amongst the most senior members of the Government Commercial Function and play a role in the broader commercial reform programme led by the Government Chief Commercial Officer;
- Play a key leadership and change management role in developing a strong commercial function for the CCS and across Government.
We’ll assess you against these technical skills during the selection process:
- Market Insight – Deep category expertise in the Built Environment or Energy category
- Commercial Focus – Significant evidence of the successful design and delivery of holistic end-to- end commercial strategies
- Coaching Manager – Broad evidence of leading teams at a senior and strategic level in large-scale complex organisations/projects, supporting and enabling transformational change
- Manages Complexity – Significant personal involvement in complex and large-scale commercial negotiations including ensuring value for money
- Assertive – Experience of influencing at board level or similar as well as with key stakeholders and suppliers within a highly complex, fast moving, commercially-focused environment
Closing Date: 11th April 2021
- Address Birmingham, Liverpool, London, Newport, Norwich
- Salary Offer £91,800 - £131,300 GCO Pension, GCO Terms, up to 20% performance-related-pay available on accreditation.