This role will come with line management responsibilities for a team of 4, so the ability to support, upskill and develop a team of commercial professionals is a key part of the role.
The role purpose will be achieved through the delivery of the following accountabilities and responsibilities:
One Way of Working Policy and Process Improvement
- Accountability for the creation, development, maintenance and continuous improvement of the Defra group Commercial One Way of Working commercial suite of policy and process documentation and enabling digital portal and tools (SharePoint based);
- Responsible for the provision of policy & process compliance checks, e.g. planning, resourcing, undertaking, reporting and continuous improvement activities;
- Responsible for working closely with Defra Risk and Fraud teams as well as the Government Internal Audit Agency and other Internal Audit Teams to support investigations and accountable for providing scrutiny and oversight to the implementation of and compliance to commercial improvement recommendations;
Government Policy Notes and Special Projects
- Accountability for the production, maintenance and delivery of an annual policy delivery plan, including a schedule of Procurement Policy Notes and Defra related policies for implementation;
- Responsible for the production and continuous improvement of Defra’s response to the Government Commercial Operating Standards (GCOS) and Government Grant Management standards in the form of submissions and process improvement action plans;
- Responsibility for the co-ordination of central Government changes and reforms across the commercial teams in the wider Defra group as well as coordination of Defra’s departmental response into central Government projects in consultation, e.g. SMEs, Social Value, Procurement Policy reforms in response to the UK exit from the EU, and write arounds related to other significant changes to commercial policy;
- Responsibility for relationship development and collaborating with other government departments and representing Defra on cross government initiatives, improvement programmes and working groups. Represent the Department at the Government Commercial Function at both the Policy working group and the Process working group
Social Value and Sustainability
- Responsible for developing and implementing Defra’s policy approach to sustainability and social value, including supporting Defra group initiatives such as the Environment Agency’s Net Zero commitment as well as governmental priorities such as EDI and Modern Slavery;
We’ll assess you against these technical skills during the selection process:
- Decisive: Experience providing definitive guidance, and commercial advice to both commercial experts and non-commercial colleagues.
- Commercial Focus: Extensive commercial experience, with experience of implementing commercial policy changes which help deliver great commercial outcomes.
- Builds Relationships: Proven experience influencing senior internal and external stakeholders. Tailoring communication style to the audience to deliver optimal results.
- Coaching Manager: An accomplished people manager with a track record of setting high standards and delivering results in a complex and demanding environment.
- Strategy & Policy Development: Proven track record in design and roll out of best practice procurement / contract management policies and processes. In-depth knowledge of Public sector procurement policies would be advantageous
Closing Date: 03rd May 2021
- Address Bristol, London, Peterborough, Reading, York
- Salary Offer £61,710 - £74,000 Up to 15% performance-related-pay available on accreditation