We are building a cadre of commercial talent in all Government departments; people who can manage our commercial portfolios, who can lead our most complex and novel programmes and projects, people who have the gravitas and depth of experience to work alongside our policy and operational leaders to develop innovative commercial arrangements, whether through joint ventures, outsourcing or best-in-class contracts.
The Government Commercial Organisation is an employer which is truly committed to creating a welcoming, inclusive workplace where all our people are able to bring their whole selves to work and are able to perform to their potential. We understand the importance of diversity and inclusion and strive for a workplace that reflects the communities which we serve. We especially welcome applications from underrepresented groups including Black, Asian and Minority Ethnic (BAME) candidates, candidates with a disability and candidates with gender-diverse identities. Appointments will be made on merit on the basis of fair and open competition.
We have already made significant progress through the establishment of the Government Commercial Organisation (GCO), our single employer of senior commercial talent across government. This role will sit within the GCO, but based in our HO commercial team delivering departmental objectives.
The BF Procurement Team delivers contractual arrangements to support BF deliver its primary objective of protecting our borders. This portfolio comprises a range of contracts for goods and services that are key to the day to day operational and strategic objectives of BF ranging from services for Maritime, Detection Equipment, services at the Juxtaposed Controls and Haulage/Storage and Disposals of Seized Goods.
The postholder will be flexibly deployed to deliver complex procurement projects on our pipeline, more specifically for the Maritime Category.
- Develop appropriate Commercial Strategies to meet the sourcing needs of the customer;
- Deliver complex procurement projects compliant with relevant legislation, the Outsourcing Playbook and relevant Procurement Policy Notes, including incorporating Social Value requirements;
- Assess routes to market (engaging across the Government Commercial Function to work collaboratively);
- Lead a team of procurement experts to deliver a range of contracts for goods and services (low value to complex);
- Collaborate with key stakeholders (Senior Responsible Officers, Project Managers, Finance, Commercial Finance, Cabinet Office and others) to deliver excellent outcomes, on time;
- Manage the procurement risks ensuring mitigations are in place or escalated;
- Maintain accurate data to inform the commercial pipeline and reporting;
- Ensure the continuous development of yourself and your team;
- Act corporately and contribute to the Home Office/Government Commercial Function wider objectives.
We’ll assess you against these technical skills during the selection process:
- Commercial Focus – Procurement experience that has helped deliver great value for money, as well as solutions that exceed the end users’ expectations.
- Manages Complexity – Experience of major commercial activities and a track record in leading complex procurements.
- Builds Relationships – Ability to quickly gain the respect of, and gain buy in from staff and stakeholders at all levels, exhibiting traits of a collaborative and engaging leader in a highly complex, fast moving environment.
- Coaching Manager – Strong leadership ability which has developed high performing teams and has been used to successfully manage projects.
- Resilient – The ability to work under pressure, and deliver multiple projects within agreed timescales.
Closing Date: Tuesday 04th May
- Address Durham, Manchester, Stoke-on-Trent
- Salary Offer £61,710 - £74,000 GCO Pension, GCO Terms.- up to 15% performance-related-pay available on accreditation.