£61,710 – £74,000
GCO Pension, GCO Terms- up to 15% performance-related-pay available on accreditation.
Commercial Lead (GCF)
GCF – Crown Commercial Service
Type of role
Flexible working, Full-time, Job share, Part-time, Compressed Hours
Number of posts
Apply before 11:55 pm on Monday 15th March 2021
About the job
Building a strong Commercial Function in Government, and with it the right commercial capability, is at the heart of a far-reaching programme of Civil Service reform.
We are building a cadre of commercial talent in all Government departments; people who can manage our commercial portfolios, who can lead our most complex and novel programmes and projects, people who have the gravitas and depth of experience to work alongside our policy and operational leaders to develop innovative commercial arrangements, whether through joint ventures, outsourcing or best-in-class contracts.
The Government Commercial Organisation is an employer which is truly committed to creating a welcoming, inclusive workplace where all our people are able to bring their whole selves to work and are able to perform to their potential. We understand the importance of diversity and inclusion and strive for a workplace that reflects the communities which we serve. We especially welcome applications from underrepresented groups including Black, Asian and Minority Ethnic (BAME) candidates, candidates with a disability and candidates with gender-diverse identities. Appointments will be made on merit on the basis of fair and open competition.
We have already made significant progress through the establishment of the Government Commercial Organisation (GCO), our single employer of senior commercial talent across government. This role will sit within the GCO, but based in our CCS commercial team delivering departmental objectives.
This role is all about providing guidance to customers and staff at all levels on a day to day basis which supports the crown commercial service procurement strategy. As this is a team management role, the successful candidate will be expected to effectively support and upskill team members.
Ultimately this role is all about taking the lead in developing procurement solutions with the customer and then transforming the solutions into robust, compliant procurement strategies; procurements that are let in accordance with the EU Regulations, PCR 2015, CO Policy and CCS SOPs.
- Supporting the customer in identifying suitable routes to market then leading the agreed procurement projects;
- Engaging with Customer and Stakeholders to capture requirements and develop the procurement strategy;
- Leading end to end sourcing process driving Customer and Stakeholder input;
- Communicating progress, issues and risks to the Head of Procurement in a timely and effective manner;
- Coaching and developing junior team members to foster a depth of experience in the team;
- Creating compliant and commercially sound procurement documentation;
- Ensuring that procurement projects deliver products that deliver measurable value for customers and that this is supported by robust Terms and Conditions;
- Carrying out formal and informal appraisals to develop management capacity and capability, determine information/development needs of staff work with the team and develop ways to meet identified L&D gaps;
- Manage and prioritise project team activity/targets.
We’ll assess you against these technical skills during the selection process:
- Market Insight- The ability to offer advice in relation to public sector procurement regulations to both team members and end users.
- Commercial Focus- In-depth Procurement knowledge that has delivered outstanding value for money and strong Commercial outcomes.
- Resilient- The ability to manage a large number of procurement activities, ensuring that key stakeholders are updated and deadlines are met.
- Builds Relationships- The ability to build and improve relationships with key internal and external stakeholders.
- Coaching Manager- Strong leadership ability which has developed high performing teams.
As a valued employee of the Government Commercial Organisation (GCO), you will have access to all the benefits the centre has to offer; including flexible working, generous benefits, Career Coaches, Mentors, L&D, a Commercial College, active talent management and, most importantly, access to commercial projects that will far exceed the scale and complexity on offer elsewhere in the UK.
For existing Civil Servants: For full details of the impact on any move across the civil service on your existing terms and conditions, please read the candidate pack. Please note that any move across the Civil Service may have implications on your ability to continue to claim childcare vouchers.
Things you need to know
Selection process details
For full details of our process, and a likely timeline, please read the explanation provided in the attached candidate pack.
Throughout our selection process, we will make decisions about your capability to do the job, based on evidence you provide against the essential criteria for the role which are detailed in the attached Candidate Pack.
Your application will be reviewed by a panel and should you be successful at sift we will invite you to attend a Virtual commercial Assessment and Development Centre (VADC). The panel will review results of the VADC and determine which candidates will go through to a subsequent final panel interview
IMPORTANT: If you do not receive an acknowledgement of your application within 2 working days please contact: email@example.com
Feedback will only be provided if you attend an interview or assessment.
Working for the Civil Service
Apply and further information
Contact point for applicants
|Job contact :|
|Name :||Stephen Sharpe|
|Recruitment team :|
- Salary Offer £61,710 - £74,000