We are building a cadre of commercial talent in all Government departments; people who can manage our commercial portfolios, who can lead our most complex and novel programmes and projects, people who have the gravitas and depth of experience to work alongside our policy and operational leaders to develop innovative commercial arrangements, whether through joint ventures, outsourcing or best-in-class contracts.
The Government Commercial Organisation is an employer which is truly committed to creating a welcoming, inclusive workplace where all our people are able to bring their whole selves to work and are able to perform to their potential. We understand the importance of diversity and inclusion and strive for a workplace that reflects the communities which we serve. We especially welcome applications from underrepresented groups including Black, Asian and Minority Ethnic (BAME) candidates, candidates with a disability and candidates with gender-diverse identities. Appointments will be made on merit on the basis of fair and open competition.
We have already made significant progress through the establishment of the Government Commercial Organisation (GCO), our single employer of senior commercial talent across government. This role will sit within the GCO, but based in our HO commercial team delivering departmental objectives.
- Interpret, develop and implement emerging policies and processes to ensure adherence to all relevant legislation and policy including the Government Commercial Operating Standards, Transparency legislation, the Outsourcing Playbook and emerging policies;
- Close working with the Cabinet Office Policy unit will be required, alongside other central government departments to influence, interpret and apply policy for implementation through procurement strategy and contract delivery;
- Support delivery of the Commercial strategy for Home Office Commercial, aligned to the Government Commercial Function vision and provide direction for related strategy documents including the Blueprint and Outcome Delivery Plan;
- Review and enhance existing policy guidance for Commercial Directorate professionals;
- Working with the Modern Slavery Unit, lead activities in the Home Office and across Government and beyond to support the long-term ambition to eradicate modern slavery from public sector supply chains including supporting the development of public sector Transparency in Supply Chain statements;
- Develop and implement the Home Office SME Action Plan in support of the government aspiration for 33% of SME spend effectively by March 2022 including regular reports to Cabinet Office and the Chief Commercial Officer;
- Responsible for delivery of the Home Office Social Value Strategy
- Produce Ministerial briefings, reports and management information as required to deliver the responsibilities of this role, and to respond to requests for information and data from others;
- Build and maintain an external network (such as private and public sector bodies, higher education, consultancies, etc.) to access commercial best practice and to drive continuous improvement;
- Line Management responsibility – lead the team by example, championing the importance of people, talent management, personal and professional development, and role model Home Office and Government Commercial values and behaviours. Act as deputy to the Head of Policy, Strategy & People.
We’ll assess you against these technical skills during the selection process:
- Commercial Focus – Experience oversee commercial processes (procurement & Contract management) that have delivered outstanding value for money and great customer outcomes.
- Decisive – Experience providing definitive guidance, and commercial advice to both commercial experts and non-commercial colleagues.
- Builds Relationships – Ability to quickly gain the respect of, and gain buy in from staff and stakeholders at all levels, exhibiting traits of a collaborative and engaging leader in a highly complex, fast moving environment.
- Coaching Manager – Strong leadership ability which has developed high performing teams and has been used to manage projects.
- Strategy and Policy Development – Experience developing, and implementing commercial policy that moves the agenda forward in areas such as Social Value and Modern Slavery.
Closing Date: Sunday 18th April 2021
- Address Croydon, Durham, Manchester, Sheffield
- Salary Offer £61,710 - £74,000 GCO Pension, GCO Terms- up to 15% performance-related-pay available on accreditation.