We are building a cadre of commercial talent in all Government departments; people who can manage our commercial portfolios, who can lead our most complex and novel programmes and projects, people who have the gravitas and depth of experience to work alongside our policy and operational leaders to develop innovative commercial arrangements, whether through joint ventures, outsourcing or best-in-class contracts.
The Government Commercial Organisation is an employer which is truly committed to creating a welcoming, inclusive workplace where all our people are able to bring their whole selves to work and are able to perform to their potential. We understand the importance of diversity and inclusion and strive for a workplace that reflects the communities which we serve. We especially welcome applications from underrepresented groups including Black, Asian and Minority Ethnic (BAME) candidates, candidates with a disability and candidates with gender-diverse identities. Appointments will be made on merit on the basis of fair and open competition.
We have already made significant progress through the establishment of the Government Commercial Organisation (GCO), our single employer of senior commercial talent across government. This role will sit within the GCO, but based in our DWP commercial team delivering departmental objectives.
- Responsibility for the commercial management of critically important, complex contracts. Seeking out opportunities for continuous improvements in these contracts, through improved service and increased efficiency;
- Developing and delivering strategic supplier management strategies, to support strong and productive relationships with the category’s strategically important suppliers, including curating the market;
- Leading procurement exercises, delivering market engagement, detailed specifications, procurement timelines, undertaking supplier negotiation & implementation of high value complex contracts whilst ensuring value for money options and alignment to the Category Plan;
- Leading, coaching and developing your team to deliver the best possible commercial service to the Department;
- Providing expert commercial support and guidance to a range of stakeholders, ensuring the commercial delivery of the Department’s objectives and that policy development is informed by commercial best practice;
- Utilisation of data from a variety of sources to contribute to the category cost savings targets, identify and resolve problems, identify and add value and improve performance and value;
- Use data and develop strategies to manage the market and ensure that the market is prepared for future longer term requirements, and supporting our 2025 Future Market Strategy
- Undertake work in accordance with Public Contract Regulations (PCR), Cabinet Office Outsourcing Playbook and Category Management Operating Model (CMOM), designing flexible commercial procurement strategies to land commissioning requests;
We’ll assess you against these technical skills during the selection process:
- Commercial Focus – Strong commercial management experience including procurement and/or contract management gained within a complex organisation;
- Contract and Supplier Management -Experience of managing strategically important contracts and suppliers;
- Builds Relationships – Experience of influencing and managing key stakeholders including senior managers;
- Strategy and Policy Development – Strong delivery knowledge of the commercial lifecycle including strategy and regulatory requirements/policy development.
Closing Date: 21st February 2021
- Address Leeds, Sheffield
- Salary Offer £61,710 - £74,000 GCO Pension, GCO Terms. Up to 15% performance-related-pay available on accreditation.