We are building a cadre of commercial talent in all Government departments; people who can manage our commercial portfolios, who can lead our most complex and novel programmes and projects, people who have the gravitas and depth of experience to work alongside our policy and operational leaders to develop innovative commercial arrangements, whether through joint ventures, outsourcing or best-in-class contracts.
The Government Commercial Organisation is an employer which is truly committed to creating a welcoming, inclusive workplace where all our people are able to bring their whole selves to work and are able to perform to their potential. We understand the importance of diversity and inclusion and strive for a workplace that reflects the communities which we serve. We especially welcome applications from underrepresented groups including Black, Asian and Minority Ethnic (BAME) candidates, candidates with a disability and candidates with gender-diverse identities. Appointments will be made on merit on the basis of fair and open competition.
We have already made significant progress through the establishment of the Government Commercial Organisation (GCO), our single employer of senior commercial talent across government. This role will sit within the GCO, but based in our Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) commercial team delivering departmental objectives.
We require driven and dynamic individuals able to deliver high priority aspects of our strategy, and be accountable for all activities related to procuring and managing contracts and suppliers. You will contribute to the further development of deep category expertise within your team, and increase the level of commerciality, operational execution and stakeholder/supplier engagement in general.
- Take operational responsibility for the development, review, negotiation and execution of large, complex contracts (existing and new), and the commercial management of related suppliers, within your area of accountability.
- Ensure agreed supplier cost savings targets are delivered, and initiatives are delivered that increase efficiency whilst maintaining adequate performance and risk management
- Provide commercial support and guidance to management and other stakeholders (internal and external), ensuring “best outcome” commercial solutions are delivered in line with DWP, Commercial and Category strategies. Activity management of supporting team members aligned to your sub-category.
- Through effective and proactive contract management, create positive supplier relationships, a strong customer service ethos, and clear commercial strategies to secure optimum outcomes for the DWP.
- Make a significant contribution to the building of a culture of continuous improvement within the DWP Commercial Directorate.
We’ll assess you against these technical skills during the selection process:
- Procurement process – proven commercial/procurement experience gained within a matrix organisation within a digital / IT context
- Commercial focus – negotiation and execution of large, complex contracts, and management of commercial aspects of supplier performance
- Understand sourcing needs and options – able to influence key stakeholders towards commercial solutions that give a balance between optimal commercial performance and delivery of business strategy
- Market insight – knowledge of the commercial lifecycle and awareness of relevant compliance and regulatory requirements (e.g. eu procurement directive)
- Contract and supplier management – commercial management of strategic suppliers (existing and new), building positive relationships that address strategies and deliver effective performance management.
Closing Date: 13th February 2021
- Address Blackpool, Manchester
- Salary Offer £61,710 - £74,000 GCO Pension, GCO Terms, up to 15% performance-related-pay available on accreditation.