We are building a cadre of commercial talent in all Government departments; people who can manage our commercial portfolios, who can lead our most complex and novel programmes and projects, people who have the gravitas and depth of experience to work alongside our policy and operational leaders to develop innovative commercial arrangements, whether through joint ventures, outsourcing or best-in-class contracts.
The Government Commercial Organisation is an employer which is truly committed to creating a welcoming, inclusive workplace where all our people are able to bring their whole selves to work and are able to perform to their potential. We understand the importance of diversity and inclusion and strive for a workplace that reflects the communities which we serve. We especially welcome applications from underrepresented groups including Black, Asian and Minority Ethnic (BAME) candidates, candidates with a disability and candidates with gender-diverse identities. Appointments will be made on merit on the basis of fair and open competition.
We have already made significant progress through the establishment of the Government Commercial Organisation (GCO), our single employer of senior commercial talent across government. This role will sit within the GCO, but based in our HO commercial team delivering departmental objectives.
Roles range from enabling delivery of major programmes of change, incl. managing staff, to leading more discrete pieces of delivering innovative products or specific categories of services.
Although prior experience in the relevant sector is not required, you must have an interest in putting digital innovation at the forefront of our Borders and Immigration systems.
- Develop tailored strategies for contracts and procurements collaboratively with relevant programme/category input to ensure delivery of the goods or services at the correct standards, performance and cost, and provide clarity on commercial dependencies and obligations on all parties
- Developing and maintaining an understanding of relevant contracts
and supply markets and using this knowledge to monitor markets to proactively identify commercial opportunities that deliver the most value
- Developing a strong and integral interface between the programme/businesses and the Commercial team, which encourages a better understanding, and interaction between the two groups;
- Be accountable for all contract changes, ensuring change management processes are followed and commercial consequences
of change are properly controlled;
- Identify and mitigate commercial risks, maintaining a risk management plan, escalating any significant risks. Monitor suppliers and supply markets within scope, identifying and actioning any threats or opportunities. Develop and maintain contingency plans for critical contracts/procurements;
- Lead on commercial management and contract negotiations with senior stakeholders;
- Actively support initiatives within the Commercial Directorate and
GCF, identifying and implementing improvements to processes, systems and skills;
- Ensure compliance to relevant procurement law and commercial best practice, applying “lessons learnt”;
- Always be striving to improve and develop.
We’ll assess you against these technical skills during the selection process:
- Commercial Focus – In-depth procurement knowledge that has delivered outstanding value for money and great commercial outcomes.
- Managing Complexity Experience of leading and managing the commercial elements in a complex fast paced environment/programme, managing competing demands for priorities and resources.
- Builds Relationships – Ability to quickly gain the respect of, and gain buy in from staff and stakeholders at all levels, exhibiting traits of a collaborative and engaging leader in a highly complex, fast moving.
- Decisive – Experience in developing business cases/plans, commercial strategies, presenting commercial options to business stakeholders and presenting commercial cases for approval at senior Boards.
- Resilient – The ability to work under pressure, and deliver multiple projects within agreed timescales.
- Coaching Manager – Strong leadership ability which has developed high performing teams and has been used to manage projects.
Closing Date: Sunday 07th March 2021
- Address Leeds, London, Manchester, Sheffield
- Salary Offer £61,710 - £74,000 GCO Pension, GCO Terms- up to 15% performance-related-pay available on accreditation.