We are building a cadre of commercial talent in all Government departments; people who can manage our commercial portfolios, who can lead our most complex and novel programmes and projects, people who have the gravitas and depth of experience to work alongside our policy and operational leaders to develop innovative commercial arrangements, whether through joint ventures, outsourcing or best-in-class contracts.
The Government Commercial Organisation is an employer which is truly committed to creating a welcoming, inclusive workplace where all our people are able to bring their whole selves to work and are able to perform to their potential. We understand the importance of diversity and inclusion and strive for a workplace that reflects the communities which we serve. We especially welcome applications from underrepresented groups including Black, Asian and Minority Ethnic (BAME) candidates, candidates with a disability and candidates with gender-diverse identities. Appointments will be made on merit on the basis of fair and open competition.
We have already made significant progress through the establishment of the Government Commercial Organisation (GCO), our single employer of senior commercial talent across government. This role will sit within the GCO, but based in our DHSC commercial team delivering departmental objectives.
Launched on 28 May 2020, NHS Test and Trace is at the heart of the national coronavirus recovery strategy and the forefront of national efforts to help the UK return to a more normal way of life, safely and in a way that protects our NHS and social care.
Pre-Sourcing & Sourcing:
- Responsible for helping to establish and maintain a category management structure within the NHS Test and Trace Commercial Function. This covers the totality of the procurement life-cycle, and will result in best-in-class procurement and contract management processes based upon the candidate’s commercial and category expertise;
- Provide specialist category expertise to enable delivery of creative and innovative market leading commercial solutions;
- Assist with development and delivery of the commercial category strategy including planning, governance and performance management. Perform procurement reporting and analysis of management information to identify improvement opportunities;
- Support and input into a progressive commercial strategy for the specification, procurement and management of all contracted and outsourced activity;
- Ensure agreed category cost savings, efficiencies and value add targets are delivered;
- Support the management of the investment approval processes for NHS Test and Trace;
- Responsible for cascading guidance and direction on commercial principles and good practice and ensuring the correct application of commercial rules and principles apply when delivering NHS Test and Trace business;
- Ensure business continuity and that robust contingencies are in place for critical delivery;
- Support the development of key documentation including business cases and tender documentation;
- Negotiate Commercial Agreements with third parties, coordinating interfaces and integrating across contracts and suppliers.;
- Support with the development and creation of contracts;
- Take some responsibility for the performance of suppliers and manage underperformance to resolution. This includes supporting with mediation and dispute resolution;
- Support with transition management, exit strategy and contract renegotiations including driving value from the use of performance metrics and success criteria.
Please note: additional responsibilities can be seen on the candidate pack attached
We’ll assess you against these technical skills during the selection process:
- Procurement Process – Experience delivering major procurements that have delivered outstanding value for money and great commercial outcomes;
- Market Insight – the ability to be able to offer expert commercial advice in risk management, being aware of the latest risk management processes and initiatives;
- Commercial Focus – In-depth Procurement knowledge that has delivered outstanding value for money and strong Commercial outcomes;
- Builds Relationships – Ability to build effective relationships with a diverse range of senior stakeholders particularly with key suppliers;
- Coaching Manager – The ability to effectively manage a commercial team, assisting with the development of individuals, offering the appropriate support and driving improvements in the commercial output of the overall team.
Closing Date: 24th March 2021
- Address Leeds, London
- Salary Offer £61,710 - £74,000 GCO Terms, GCO Pension & up to 15% performance-related-pay available on accreditation