We are building a cadre of commercial talent in all Government departments; people who can manage our commercial portfolios, who can lead our most complex and novel programmes and projects, people who have the gravitas and depth of experience to work alongside our policy and operational leaders to develop innovative commercial arrangements, whether through joint ventures, outsourcing or best-in-class contracts.
The Government Commercial Organisation is an employer which is truly committed to creating a welcoming, inclusive workplace where all our people are able to bring their whole selves to work and are able to perform to their potential. We understand the importance of diversity and inclusion and strive for a workplace that reflects the communities which we serve. We especially welcome applications from underrepresented groups including Black, Asian and Minority Ethnic (BAME) candidates, candidates with a disability and candidates with gender-diverse identities. Appointments will be made on merit on the basis of fair and open competition.
We have already made significant progress through the establishment of the Government Commercial Organisation (GCO), our single employer of senior commercial talent across government. This role will sit within the GCO, but based in our MOD commercial team delivering departmental objectives.
embedded in the Army’s largest customer teams, Field Army is one of those teams. This will be the ‘Go To’ commercial expert within this
parts of the organisation, responsible for early engagement and forward
planning of commercial activity, provision of commercial advice, and the
development of commercial awareness and acumen.
Excellent commercial skills, coupled with the ability to build relationships with a range of military / non-military stakeholders are key components of the role
- Providing commercial advice to Army customers, including routes to market, engagement with other Commercial Delivery Partners, commercial approvals and on commercial purchase to payment systems exploitation
- Generating ideas for securing better value for money in meeting Army capability requirements through support to requirement setting and development of commercial strategies;
- Identifying, developing and testing innovative commercial models with Army customers;
- Facilitating engagement with wider Army Commercial colleagues, supporting the Army customer in developing greater innovation in its capability solutions particularly at early stages of capability and requirement definition. Enabling industry engagement in the pursuit of innovation;
- Developing, maximising and sustaining improved commercial awareness across the Army customer;
- Understanding the customer’s procurement pipeline;
- Exploiting commercial Management Information and Business Information to help the customer make more informed procurement decisions;
- Being an active member of the customers internal Boards as appropriate;
- Being an active member of the Army Commercial Senior Leadership Team, working collegiately with peers to deliver the Army Commercial leadership objectives and the Defence Commercial Functional Plan;
- Contributing to the GCO and Army Civil Service leadership objectives through mentoring, team development events and master classes.
We’ll assess you against these technical skills during the selection process:
- Commercial Focus – In-depth procurement knowledge that has delivered outstanding value for money and great commercial outcomes.
- Builds Relationships – Proven experience influencing senior internal and external stakeholders, effectively communicating commercial information to specialist & non specialist audiences.
- Decisive – ability to resolve commercial situations in a manner which may not be a key stakeholders preferred way forward.
- Market insight – The ability to use specific market knowledge to resolve commercial problems.
- Resilient – experience managing large workloads, and overcoming commercial challenges.
Closing Date: Tuesday 16th February 2021
- Address Andover
- Salary Offer £61,710 - £74,000 GCO Pension, GCO Terms- up to 15% performance-related-pay available on accreditation.