We are building a cadre of commercial talent in all Government departments; people who can manage our commercial portfolios, who can lead our most complex and novel programmes and projects, people who have the gravitas and depth of experience to work alongside our policy and operational leaders to develop innovative commercial arrangements, whether through joint ventures, outsourcing or best-in-class contracts.
The Government Commercial Organisation is an employer which is truly committed to creating a welcoming, inclusive workplace where all our people are able to bring their whole selves to work and are able to perform to their potential. We understand the importance of diversity and inclusion and strive for a workplace that reflects the communities which we serve. We especially welcome applications from underrepresented groups including Black, Asian and Minority Ethnic (BAME) candidates, candidates with a disability and candidates with gender-diverse identities. Appointments will be made on merit on the basis of fair and open competition.
We have already made significant progress through the establishment of the Government Commercial Organisation (GCO), our single employer of senior commercial talent across government. This role will sit within the GCO, but based in our DfT commercial team delivering departmental objectives.
In addition, the positions will involve cross functional working within the DfT Group Commercial Operating Model, undertaking commercial business case reviews, and providing support to the SCM team. There are also great opportunities to undertake short term secondments to support delivery of some of the DfT’s major, high profile commercial projects.
These positions will expose the successful candidates to a number of different commercial models, and will suit applicants with a wide range of procurement and contract management experience.
- Leading and / or supporting the delivery of commercial assurance across the DfT Group, including its Arm’s Length Bodies and Agencies;
- Identifying commercial risks and presenting solutions;
- Engaging with senior commercial leaders on complex commercial arrangements and risks across the Department and with wider Government
- Maintaining a forward look of the commercial assurance pipeline;
- Capturing and sharing lessons learned across the commercial community;
- Supporting SCM colleagues to identify market risks and utilising supply chain intelligence in assurance reviews;
- Reviewing complex high value business cases to assist with briefing the Commercial Director prior to endorsement decisions;
- Ensuring alignment between progressive assurance and Commercial Assurance Board (CAB) reviews;
- Committing to short term secondments to other parts of the DfT Group to maintain contemporary knowledge and experience of front line commercial delivery activity;
- Providing reports on assurance activity and commercial considerations for each project;
- Maintaining a tracker for each assurance project to produce a formal review (CAB and Business Case) and approval (Investment Portfolio Delivery Committee – IPDC) stages history;
- Constructively challenging commercial decisions at Governance Boards
Promoting the Assurance Framework within the DfT Group and across Government, including delivering roadshows to publicise the value of the end to end Commercial Lifecycle Assurance processes.
We’ll assess you against these technical skills during the selection process:
- Commercial Focus – A deep understanding of contract literacy with experience in creating, interpreting and managing contractual arrangements.
- Coaching Manager – Strong leadership ability which has developed high performing remote teams and has been used to manage projects.
- Managing complexity – Experience of major commercial activities and a track record in assuring, reviewing or leading complex procurements.
- Procurement process – Experience in the development of strategies for high value/risk, critical/complex procurements and leading the implementation and end to end delivery of these.
- Resilient – The ability to work under pressure, and deliver multiple projects within agreed timescales.
Closing Date: 24th February 2021
- Address Birmingham, Bristol, Hastings, Leeds, London, Manchester, Newcastle-upon-Tyne, Nottingham, Swansea
- Salary Offer £61,710 - £74,000 GCO Pension, GCO Terms- up to 15% performance-related-pay available on accreditation.