About Police Now
Our mission is to transform communities by inspiring, recruiting and developing leaders in policing. We are working towards a day when every community, whatever the socio-economic background of its residents, can thrive without residents being fearful of crime.
Police Now is an equal opportunities employer committed to driving diversity and inclusion in policing and within our Head Office. We strongly encourage applicants from all backgrounds, experiences and walks of life. At Police Now, our goal is to ensure our workforce reflects the communities that we serve, everyone is treated with dignity and respect as well as empowered to contribute their best. We believe that diversity in our workforce is not just a ‘nice to have’, it’s a business imperative and everyone’s responsibility.
Launched in 2014, Police Now trains graduates and career changers with leadership potential to be inspirational police officers and outstanding crime fighters on our National Graduate Leadership Programme as well as our new National Detective Programme. Police Now is a rapidly growing not-for-profit social enterprise with over 100 staff, and as such we are looking for individuals to join the team who have an entrepreneurial, flexible style and will contribute effectively to the development and leadership of this evolving organisation.
Everything we do reflects our values: Believe, Achieve, and Develop. For more information on the work we do and our values, please visit www.policenow.org.uk.
What you’ll do
As a Commercial and Trends Officer, you will work to initiate and develop effective partnerships and opportunities to establish support from Police Forces who share our mission of community transformation. You’ll seek business development opportunities to ensure our product offering meets the emerging needs of a unique customer base. This is a fast-paced and varied role that involves working closely with varied teams and colleagues across the organisation and with our partner forces. You must have strong analytical skills and a background in a commercial setting or in market research would be beneficial.
You’ll work with the National Partnerships Coordinator and the National Partnerships Manager to provide the data and evidence which will be the driving force behind our strategies to engage partners, initiate conversations, and articulate the benefits of partnership. You will support the team to tailor our message to audiences and preparing materials for a range of people in the organisation. You’ll also review and grip the inward flow of information from conversations with our partners to ensure we completely understand, accurately record and effectively communicate to colleagues those things that really matter to our force partners. Evidenced experience of developing new contacts and opening doors, through data and analytics, to untapped areas would be beneficial here.
Your priorities will be:
- Collection, appropriate recording, and management of Data concerning our customers and their needs,
- Translating data and feedback to a greater understanding of our customer, and
- Presentation of data, findings, and analysis internally, and preparation of materials to be used externally.
Who we’re looking for
We need someone with an exceptional eye for detail and a love of data, with confident communication and interpersonal skills. You’ll be highly motivated, driven by our mission, and comfortable achieving challenging targets and results. You’ll be joining a fast-paced and ambitious team with significant scope for autonomy and contributing to strategic direction so will be energetic and solutions focused. You must possess a genuine commitment to public service and the Police Now mission, values and aims, as well as a passion for improving the Policing Sector and Police Now’s place in it.
We pride ourselves on our innovation and agility so you will also embrace change, be keen to take on new projects, excited about doing things differently, and comfortable working through political and sector ambiguity. Police Now is a growing organisation so you won’t be afraid of a challenge and will be able to adapt to changing deadlines and priorities. You’ll also enjoy working closely with others in your team whilst working under your own initiative to manage your individual workload. Finally, you will have diversity and inclusion in the heart of all you do, contributing to the ideas and delivery of our strategy to secure partnerships that support one of our core aims: the attraction and inclusion of individuals who would not otherwise have considered a police career into police forces.
- Work with large quantities of data to produce accurate, meaningful and evidence-based insights that inform and support our new and existing work with partner forces and the ongoing development of the programmes that we run.
- Work closely with colleagues in the Strategy and Insights team to ensure we effectively communicate our data and insight both internally within Police Now and externally to police forces and stakeholders.
- Work with marketing and other colleagues to produce effective pitch materials and proposal documentation.
- Contribute to the creation of strategy and governance documents, usually in PowerPoint form, ensuring that the voice of our partner police forces is always strongly reflected in Police Now’s decision making.
- Seek opportunities to support the policing sector beyond current Police Now product offerings by recognising needs in patterns and trends in the policing sector
- Attend conferences and events to keep up to date with key developments in policing
- Use relevant information to produce, maintain, and update sales and briefing materials; working closely with the National Partnerships Manager to ensure these meet stakeholder needs and embracing innovation to improve their impact
- Cultivate relationships internally to facilitate timely transfer of information to the relevant people often to demanding timeframes and including senior members of the organisation
- Support with the planning and delivery of Police Now events such as open days to our academies, as well as exploring wider ways to engage our customers as you develop and document an understanding of their requirements
- Have diversity and inclusion in the heart of all you do, and demonstrate this in your preparation and presentation of briefing materials to accommodate a diverse range of contribution and perspective, and suit a diverse range of audience
- Actively engage in problem solving and idea generation, readily offering your suggestions and perspective
- Support on projects related to process improvement as required
- Ad hoc duties and projects to support our busy team
What you need
- Strong analytical skills, including data management and analysis
- Demonstrable skills with preparing presentations for your own delivery, and to be used by others, based on a firm grip and understanding of available data
- A desire to contribute to improving quality of life in some of the UK’s most deprived communities, improving policing, and increasing confidence in policing
- Ability to proactively manage information, including using that information to inform decision-making
- Ability to develop and nurture internal stakeholder relationships across multiple levels
- A strategic mindset and the ability to manage change
- Comfort in ambiguity
- Strong planning and organisation ability, with confidence managing multiple activities and deadlines with good judgement to consider and order conflicting priorities
- Outstanding written and oral communication skills
- Proficiency in Microsoft systems including PowerPoint and Excel
- Experience in marketing or sales, such as market analysis
- Experience with Customer Relationship Management systems, such as Salesforce, and information databases
- Experience drafting reports and briefing materials for senior colleagues with outstanding attention to detail and strategic consideration
What you’ll get from us
- Leadership experience at the heart of Police Now’s relationship with its force partners at an exciting time of change.
- The opportunity to make a positive difference to how effectively we implement our programmes and increase our impact in partner forces and the communities they serve.
- A flexible way of working, including access to a bright, airy, modern and buzzing office near Liverpool Street, Central London (Zone 1) Please note that during the Covid-19 pandemic, we have been undertaking online/remote inductions. As we transition to a phased return to the office, we expect that this role will be primarily home-based until the end of the year, unless exceptional circumstances apply.
- A competitive salary of £30,000 – £36,500 dependent on experience and location (plus London weighting if applicable)
- Flexible working
- 27 days holiday each year plus bank holidays
- Sanctus coaching (private mental health coaching for the workplace)
- Access to the Vitality programme which includes healthcare benefits, an Employee Assistance Programme and discounts
- Personal Development budget (after a qualifying period)
- Participation in a pension scheme (with 5% employer contributions and minimum 3% employee contributions)
This job description is issued as a guideline. It is not exhaustive, and we would be pleased to discuss any constructive comments you may have. Due to the evolving nature and changing demands of our business this job description may be subject to change. You may, on occasions, be required to undertake additional or other duties within the context of this job description and according to the needs of the organisation.
Applications will be screened as they are received and invited to interview accordingly. Police Now reserves the right to close the advert prior to the advertised date, should a suitable applicant be appointed. Early applications are therefore encouraged.
Please note that some roles within Police Now require certain levels of vetting or screening in order to effectively work with our partners. Therefore, we may ask you to complete this if you are successful.
How to apply: It’s simple, please submit a CV and cover letter explaining why you are interested in working at Police Now. Applications without a cover letter will not be considered.
Closing Date: 23rd September 2020