We are building a cadre of commercial talent in all Government departments; people who can manage our commercial portfolios, who can lead our most complex and novel programmes and projects, people who have the gravitas and depth of experience to work alongside our policy and operational leaders to develop innovative commercial arrangements, whether through joint ventures, outsourcing or best-in-class contracts.
The Government Commercial Organisation is an employer which is truly committed to creating a welcoming, inclusive workplace where all our people are able to bring their whole selves to work and are able to perform to their potential. We understand the importance of diversity and inclusion and strive for a workplace that reflects the communities which we serve. We especially welcome applications from underrepresented groups including Black, Asian and Minority Ethnic (BAME) candidates, candidates with a disability and candidates with gender-diverse identities. Appointments will be made on merit on the basis of fair and open competition.
We have already made significant progress through the establishment of the Government Commercial Organisation (GCO), our single employer of senior commercial talent across government. This role will sit within the GCO, but based in our Crown Commercial Service commercial team delivering departmental objectives.
This will be a strategic role, and there will be the opportunity to facilitate added value initiatives and there will be a keen focus on continuous improvement.
With the opportunity to manage a small team the successful candidate will have the opportunity to play a proactive role in the development of the team, and the service they offer their internal stakeholders.
- Strategy Development – operating in a strategic manner, overseeing value add initiatives and maintaining a journey of continuous improvement. From a strategic level involvement in the re-procurement of PSR;
- Customer (Supplier) Engagement – developing initiatives, and running networking events to ensure present and future suppliers are fully engaged. Being that senior point of contact to effectively resolve issues, and to establish effective ways to support the suppliers on an ongoing basis;
- Stakeholder Engagement – building a relationship with senior internal stakeholders, and key users of the service. Helping them scope their requirements so that the agreements in place meet their needs ;
- Workload Management – linked to ensuring excellent relationships with all users of contingent labour, there will be a need to work particularly closely with those central government departments who have the most significant requirement.;
- Line Management – initially managing 2 commercial members of staff, assisting them where appropriate with their daily work and playing a supportive role in their ongoing commercial development.;
- Project Delivery – alongside the main commercial focus (contingent labour) there will be the opportunity to take the lead in a number of key recruitment related projects across the public sector – for example projects relating to IR35 and Supply Chain Rationalisation;
We’ll assess you against these technical skills during the selection process:
- Market Insight In- depth contingent labour category knowledge, the ability to partner with multiple stakeholders to provide expert advice in contingent labour solutions.
- Commercial Focus Category Lead / management experience that has helped deliver great value for money, as well as solutions that exceed the end users expectations
- Builds Relationships Ability to quickly gain the respect of, and gain buy in from staff and stakeholders at all levels, exhibiting traits of a collaborative and engaging leader in a highly complex, fast moving environment.
- Coaching Manager Strong leadership ability which has developed high performing teams and has been used to successfully manage projects.
- Supplier Management The ability to partner with suppliers effectively, and to ensure that the right supplier metrics are in place to effectively manage and assess performance
Closing Date: Monday 19th April 2021
- Address Birmingham, Liverpool, London
- Salary Offer £61,710 - £74,000 GCO Pension, GCO Terms, Up to 15% performance-related-pay available on accreditation