We are building a cadre of commercial talent in all Government departments; people who can manage our commercial portfolios, who can lead our most complex and novel programmes and projects, people who have the gravitas and depth of experience to work alongside our policy and operational leaders to develop innovative commercial arrangements, whether through joint ventures, outsourcing or best-in-class contracts.
The Government Commercial Organisation is an employer which is truly committed to creating a welcoming, inclusive workplace where all our people are able to bring their whole selves to work and are able to perform to their potential. We understand the importance of diversity and inclusion and strive for a workplace that reflects the communities which we serve. We especially welcome applications from underrepresented groups including Black, Asian and Minority Ethnic (BAME) candidates, candidates with a disability and candidates with gender-diverse identities. Appointments will be made on merit on the basis of fair and open competition.
We have already made significant progress through the establishment of the Government Commercial Organisation (GCO), our single employer of senior commercial talent across government. This role will sit within the GCO, but based in our Ministry Of Defence commercial team delivering departmental objectives.
As Category Lead the successful candidate will be expected to lead and establish market-leading category strategies, creating supply markets to meet current and future departmental needs. It is a high impact role requiring drive, enthusiasm and dynamism, the work will be pan-MOD and stakeholder management will be a key part of the role. There will need to be a strong focus on market and supplier base analysis, spend, cost drivers and contract requirements.
This role will establish and align internal and external category expectations and deliver material change across MOD Commercial. Our customers have varied needs and expectations and strong stakeholder management skills will be needed to ensure that needs are fully understood and interpreted into a realistic commercial strategy.
The main responsibilities are detailed below, whilst this will be the focus of the role the successful candidate will have the opportunity to show where they can add value in other areas:-
- Lead on the development of category strategies based on customer demand, market analysis and engagement with all relevant stakeholder groups
- Set up and strategically manage frameworks, routes to market and associated contracts across all relevant categories over the full commercial lifecycle, including negotiations dispute resolutions and contract variations to ensure value for money
- Understand and strategically monitor the internal supplier market landscape, lead supplier management of the key suppliers, consolidate / share past learnings where appropriate and act as an escalation point when needed
- Contract management of pan MOD contracts; managing KPIs and tracking delivery against contractual obligations, actively engaging with suppliers to communicate MOD requirements and develop mutually beneficial strategic relationships
- Ensure spend data is consolidated and segmented by category and relevant groupings to inform the on-going development of the category strategy
- Provide commercial advice and guidance to category customers ensuring efficient and effective application of the Category Strategy in Sourcing Delivery
- Work in a collaborative way across teams based in different locations and be prepared to flex across multiple categories when it is required
- Develop category commercial expertise, ensuring the development of knowledge of market trends, innovation, developing commercial models and enhancements in service or product specifications
- Act as the lead in market knowledge for the specific categories, providing intelligent management information to customers, including spend analysis and supply market knowledge to support decision making and benefits realisation
- Provide day to day leadership for the relevant Categories including commercial controls and reviews, managing resources and Category requests
- Work collaboratively with Commercial Business Partners and the Business Operations and Commercial Improvement team to ensure that teams across Head Office Commercial are supporting their customers and providing a cohesive service offering
- Contribute to the development of effective tools and organisational continuous improvement techniques. Actively participate in activities that facilitate the embedding of best practice into Head Office category management activities
- Drive innovation and work with the team to consistently review current Commercial processes, policy and governance, and general ways of working to identify opportunities for improvement
- Lead engagement with other Government departments, CCS, suppliers, other Framework providers and public sector buying consortiums
- Lead meetings / workshops with customers and business partners across MOD to understand business requirements and develop pan-MOD opportunities
- Support the wider Head Office Commercial Leadership Team to move forward with the defined strategy as required
- Lead a team of commercial experts, delegating where appropriate and supporting the professional development of the team
We’ll assess you against these technical skills during the selection process:
- Market Insight Being able to demonstrate how specific market knowledge in relation to the Professional Services category has been critical in delivering great commercial outcomes.
- Commercial Focus Category management experience that has driven great value for money outcomes and great outcomes for end users.
- Builds Relationships Evidence of being able to successfully challenge the status quo whilst improving relationships with key senior stakeholders
- Coaching Manager The ability to successfully coach, mentor and lead teams. Proven experience in supporting the professional development of team members.
- Supplier Management Strong supplier relationship skills, being able to evidence effective working relationships with different types of suppliers.
Closing Date: 29th April 2021
- Address Bristol, London
- Salary Offer £61,710 - £74,000 GCO Pension, GCO Terms. Up to 15% performance-related-pay available on accreditation.