We are building a cadre of commercial talent in all Government departments; people who can manage our commercial portfolios, who can lead our most complex and novel programmes and projects, people who have the gravitas and depth of experience to work alongside our policy and operational leaders to develop innovative commercial arrangements, whether through joint ventures, outsourcing or best-in-class contracts.
The Government Commercial Organisation is an employer which is truly committed to creating a welcoming, inclusive workplace where all our people are able to bring their whole selves to work and are able to perform to their potential. We understand the importance of diversity and inclusion and strive for a workplace that reflects the communities which we serve. We especially welcome applications from underrepresented groups including Black, Asian and Minority Ethnic (BAME) candidates, candidates with a disability and candidates with gender-diverse identities. Appointments will be made on merit on the basis of fair and open competition.
We have already made significant progress through the establishment of the Government Commercial Organisation (GCO), our single employer of senior commercial talent across government. This role will sit within the GCO, but based in our Crown Commercial Service commercial team delivering departmental objectives.”
The successful candidate will be responsible for setting the strategic direction for the gas category, the role is also integral to the overall strategy for all energy supply types for public sector to maximise value, benefits and deliver excellence within the energy sector.
This is a pivotal role within a team managing c.£2Bn of spend across all the supply product streams.
We’d be particularly keen to hear from candidates who have operated at a strategic level within the Energy category, although as with all roles we can consider candidates with different category experience.
- Oversee the delivery, development and implementation of strategic high value contracts within the energy category (Gas;
- Work collaboratively with senior stakeholders to ensure effective engagement leads to innovative ideas and solutions;
- Develop strong relationship with a range of customers and suppliers:-;
- Effectively work with and understand the true needs of the customer, to ensure that the right solutions are delivered. Be able to educate the customer base with solutions that they may not realise are available;
- Work collaboratively with key suppliers to ensure they are equipped to effectively deliver. Working with suppliers to clearly measure performance;
- Lead, engage and manage people, creating a high performance culture in order to deliver against stretch targets both during and following a significant period of change;
- This will be a strategic role, with the focus on up-skilling colleagues to help deliver more effective commercial solutions;
We’ll assess you against these technical skills during the selection process:
- Commercial Focus – In-depth Procurement & contract management knowledge that has delivered outstanding value for money and strong Commercial outcomes.
- Supplier Relationship Management – The ability to partner with suppliers to ensure world class delivery of contractual services; being able to partner with suppliers to help improve performance
- Coaching Manager – Strong leadership ability which has developed high performing remote teams and has been used to manage projects.
- Market Insight – A clear demonstration of staying abreast / being willing to learn about the latest energy market trends and the ability to use this to resolve commercial issues.
- Building Relationships – Experience in developing relationships with a wide range of internal & external stakeholders.
- Resilient – The ability to work under pressure, and deliver multiple projects within agreed timescales.
Closing Date: Tuesday 23rd February 2021
- Address Birmingham, Liverpool, London, Newport, Norwich
- Salary Offer £61,710 - £74,000 GCO Pension, GCO Terms. Up to 15% performance-related pay available on accreditation.