ABOUT THE ROLE
Redrow Homes are looking for an individual who is passionate about bricklaying and other aspects of building to join as an Apprentice Bricklayer. As part of the apprenticeship you will be studying a L2 in Bricklaying which will include both theory and practical with the NHBC.
NHBC designed the first Brickwork Training Hub to immerse apprentices in a realistic working environment and give apprentice bricklayers the chance to build substantial structures on the large covered concrete slab. The Training Hub, is a unique, purpose-built facility, equipped with classrooms, welfare and catering facilities.
The Training Hub supports our commitment to addressing vital skills’ gaps in the industry and it will also help improve a key trade that is integral to building high quality homes.
Your time as a Bricklaying Apprentice will be split between working outdoors on site with an experienced tradesperson learning from their years of expertise and, intensive block release training at the NHBC Brickwork Training Hub in Tamworth. The 18 months programme will leave you with the essential industry qualification. It takes time to learn the quality and skills necessary to be the best and we are looking for candidates who are willing to commit the time needed to achieve the best.
As a Trade Apprentice with Redrow, you will join the next generation of house builders, fulfil your passion and start gaining skills needed to build the incredible communities that Redrow are well known for. Housebuilding is an exciting industry and this is the perfect way to kick-start your career. If you want to start earning while gaining the skills, and qualifications, then Redrow’s Trade Apprentice programme is perfect for you!
RESPONSIBLE TO: Area Construction Manager / Site Manager / Assistant Site Manager / Apprentice Co-ordinator
- Conforming to general health, safety and welfare in the workplace
- Set out and build brickwork, including complex arches and surrounding brickwork, curved on plan, concave and convex brickwork and battered brickwork
- Mixing mortar by hand or with a mechanical mixer
- Laying the bricks on top of each other and applying the mortar with a trowel
- Shape and trim bricks/blocks using hammers, chisels and power tools.
- Use of laser levels, spirit levels, optical levels and string lines to check that courses are straight, horizontally and vertically, and laid to a gauge
- Operating equipment on site in a safe manner
What we are looking for
THE PERSON (ESSENTIAL)
- Willing to travel to Tamworth, B77, and stay away from home for block training. (Accomdation and travel fully funded).
- Excellent timekeeping skills with the ability to work in adverse weather conditions
- Desire to go to a training provider and learn additional theory and practical within this trade
- Maths and English grades at grade 2 (grade E+) or above or equivalent
- Practical skills including working with hands tools
- Able to work at height
- Excellent communication skills, able to work in a team and on your own
- Flexible approach to working on different sites
- Passionate about construction
THE PERSON (DESIRABLE)
- A level 1 Bricklaying qualification
- Previous experience as a bricklayer
- Previous experience within construction
- Maths and English at grade 4 or above (Grade C+) or an equivalent
- Driving license
These are illustrative duties and the job holder will be expected to become involved in a range of work to enable the department to respond effectively to the requirements of the Company.
- Address Colindale, UK
- Salary Offer Competitive