An excellent opportunity for an experienced pharmacist with a passion for improving the lives of those suffering with mental health conditions has arisen at AWPMental Health Trust. This role requires a dynamic, enthusiastic pharmacist with good communication skills, in order to manage one of AWPs largest localities. The role involves working with healthcare professionals across the Bristol area including nurses, doctors and allied health professionals within the inpatient and community mental health teams, local acute trusts as well as colleagues in primary care. The role will focus on improving the clinical pharmacy service within the Bristol locality, securing better outcomes and quality of life for our patients. The post holder will also work closely with the other Locality Lead pharmacists, the Lead technicians and the senior pharmacy leadership to develop and deliver the Medicines Optimisation agenda and AWPs trust values.
The role will be based at our Callington Road Hospital site; however there could be the need to travel to other sites.
Main duties of the job
- Lead the local clinical pharmacy team to ensure inpatient units and community teams receive regular high quality clinical pharmacy support appropriate to the needs of the service and service users.
- Line management and leadership of Bristol based staff to ensure the teams objectives and the development needs of staff are met
- Partaking in the clinical rota, through provision of clinical pharmacy support to allocated wards and teams.
- Report writing for and involvement at locality meetings, focusing on cost effective prescribing, medicines safety and pharmacy service within the locality.
- Audits and project work to assess current practice and to identify areas for service improvement.
- Participate in the development and implementation of trust wide policies and procedures.
- Contribute to clinical incident reporting and review incidents when necessary in the locality.
- Provide educational input for health care professionals and to participate in the education and training of all grades of staff within the locality on issues concerned with medicines.
Working for our organisation
We are AWP (Avon and Wiltshire Mental Health Partnership NHS Trust) a diverse organisation with over 5,000 dedicated staff providing inpatient and community-based mental health care.
We provide services from a range of locations to approximately 1.8 million people living in Bath and North East Somerset (B&NES), Bristol, North Somerset, South Gloucestershire, Swindon, across the county of Wiltshire and in parts of Dorset.
At AWPwe actively encourage applicants from all backgrounds; we are particularly keen to encourage applications from people from Black, Asian and minority ethnic backgrounds, those with disabilities and from the LGBTQ+ community.
The AWPpharmacy service supplies medication and provides clinical support to wards and teams across our core catchment area. We have two dispensaries: We have two dispensaries: one in Calne (Wiltshire) and one at Callington Road Hospital (Bristol). As well as managing the medicines supply chain in the trust, we support the safe and effective use of medicines throughout the organisation through our clinical work, enquiry answering, medicines governance activity and many other roles. The team are friendly, dynamic and evolving, with aspirations to improve patient care across the AWPgeography. Support from other experienced mental health pharmacists and technicians is always available.
We operate a weekend and bank holiday pharmacy service from both dispensaries. This is approximately 1 in 10.
Detailed job description and main responsibilities
Please see attached job description and person specification for details about the main responsibilities of the post.
- Masters or equivalent degree in pharmacy, approved by the General Pharmaceutical Council (GPC)
- Current GPhC registration with the General Pharmaceutical Council
- Postgraduate diploma/certificate/MSc in clinical pharmacy or equivalent
- Postgraduate qualification in mental health pharmacy
- Pharmacist Prescriber qualification
- Membership of the Royal Pharmaceutical Society
- Membership of the College of Mental Health Pharmacists
- Significant UK hospital pharmacy experience
- Clinical pharmacy experience at band 7
- Multidisciplinary working: Evidence of working in MDTs/ward rounds
- Mobile: Car driver with valid UK license or otherwise independently mobile
- Good communication skills
- Able to cope under pressure and prioritise
- Critical appraisal and audit skills
- Team player with good leadership skills
- Good time management
- Assertive and robust in debate
- Clinical pharmacy experience in mental health or similar
- Experience in writing guidelines and reports
- Working with primary care organisations
- Education and training of others
- Advanced computer skills
- Experience of HR and management skills
- Specialized knowledge of mental health treatment options
- Understanding of interface issues
- Address Bristol, UK
- Salary Offer £47,126 - £53,219