About Police Now
Our mission is to transform communities by recruiting, developing, and inspiring diverse leaders in policing. We are working towards a day when every community, whatever the socio-economic background of its residents, can thrive without residents being fearful of crime.
Police Now is an equal opportunities employer committed to driving diversity and inclusion in policing and within our Head Office. We strongly encourage applicants from all backgrounds, experiences and walks of life. At Police Now, our goal is to ensure our workforce reflects the communities that we serve, everyone is treated with dignity and respect as well as empowered to contribute their best. We believe that diversity in our workforce is not just a ‘nice to have’, it’s a business imperative and everyone’s
Launched in 2014, Police Now trains graduates and career changers with leadership potential to be inspirational police officers and outstanding crime fighters on our National Graduate Leadership Programme as well as our new National Detective Programme. Police Now is a rapidly growing not-for-profit social enterprise with nearly 150 employees, and as such we are looking for individuals to join the team who have an entrepreneurial, flexible style and will contribute effectively to the development and leadership of this evolving organisation.
Everything we do reflects our values: Believe, Achieve, and Develop.
For more information on the work we do and our values, please visit www.policenow.org.uk.
What you’ll do
The Programme Operations and Events Team currently delivers:
• National Graduate Leadership Programme (NGLP) Academies
• National Detective Programme (NDP) Academies
• In-year training events for both Programmes (skills sessions, impact events, conferences, and training for seconded officers)
All of the above are high-intensity training courses and events, delivering police training at a fast-pace and offering a modern, hybrid learning experience. It is where both our new and existing participants learn the skills they need to be effective police officers and leaders of their communities through both in person and digital learning experiences.
Our residential Academies are the initial intensive periods of training for our trainee officers at the very beginning of their journey to becoming police officers, and are at the very heart and soul of our two-year programmes. At either 7 (NGLP) or 13 (NDP) weeks, they also represent the most sustained period of engagement that Police Now has with participants.
At our Academies participants receive a mix of theoretical and practical training in order to learn the skills they need to be effective police officers and community leaders. These are challenging and complex projects to deliver, requiring all the stops to be pulled out for first-class delivery.
• Own the planning and delivery of the operations workstrand for academies, delivering on your own workstreams whilst leading and empowering your direct reports and colleagues on the completion of others;
• Lead the design, robust planning and rehearsal of all digital elements of our Academies
• Work collaboratively with curriculum colleagues on key aspects of academy planning;
• Lead the planning, in partnership with our Force Partnerships Team, of all Field Training and Officer Safety Training, made by each partner force;
• Lead on venue and supplier management in the lead up to Academies;
• Act as the key contact for academy venues on arrangements for security and key event days;
• Build, manage and be a point of expertise in the programme department for participant and seconded officer rosters;
• Work with colleagues to plan optimum participant groupings and how we manage participant data efficiently and appropriately;
• Guide colleagues in optimal ways to achieve complex event logistics for activities like practical assessments;
• Take responsibility for reviewing and maintaining policies, and sharing the information across relevant stakeholders;
• Work collaboratively with our Recruitment and Marketing team to ensure the smooth onboarding of participants;
• Oversee the appropriate use of academy budget, tracking spend accurately and in detail;
• Support our Secondments Team with the planning and delivery of Syndicate Lead Course and Induction for our seconded force officers;
• Lead the delivery of academy operations on site as the Operations Manager for your Academy;
• Run the control room and digital delivery of our Academy curriculum, advising and supporting both internal teams and seconded force officers;
• Support our Secondments Team in the design and delivery of the Syndicate Lead Course and Induction, including supporting with the development of their communications plan;
• Produce and deliver complex day event management plans and lead complex day logistics on the ground including staffing plans and team rosters;
• Forge strong relationships and rapport with key stakeholders, including Stream Managers and Syndicate Leads (seconded force officers), guest speakers and third-party suppliers;
• Support the Academies Officer/s with the execution of participant and support role communications plans and communication
Proactively manage and mitigate risk, and problem-solve effectively in order to create the very best training experience possible;
• Recruit and manage any temporary staff and colleagues who you will line manage temporarily as part of your Academy ops delivery team
You’ll also be expected to support the wider team with additional work as per the needs of the business.
What we’re looking for
We need an accomplished project manager with proven ability to work under pressure and achieve first-rate results. You’ll enjoy solving logistical challenges and identifying ways to deliver effective and streamlined processes. You can prioritise and manage multiple projects and risks simultaneously and achieve results in an environment where priorities and deadlines can change quickly.
As a naturally innovative individual who enjoys working at pace, you’ll embrace change and be able to bring your team with you as Police Now grows and develops in years to come.
You must possess a genuine commitment to public service and the Police Now mission and values as well as a belief in personal responsibility and getting best value out of public money. As someone with a real commitment to delivering one of the best police training courses in the world, you’ll be willing to go the extra mile during months when our Academies and Events are in full swing as part of the wider Programmes Department.
What you’ll need
• Excellent project management skills and knowledge of project management theory, with a strong track record in planning, developing and delivering results through high quality planning;
• Substantial line management experience to project teams, with the ability to coach and develop others
• Substantial experience in event management, with examples of delivering outstanding results in complex settings;
• Strong problem solving, and the ability to foresee, manage and mitigate risk;
• Strong leadership, personal organization, prioritization, and delegation skills, and the ability to manage both your own case load of work and oversee the work of others;
• Experience in managing and delivering digital and online events;
• Passion for and experience in line management and building effective teams, including overseeing and leading temporary event teams;
• Outstanding attention to detail;
• Excellent written communication, including a flair for copywriting;
• Excellent verbal communication, emotional intelligence and interpersonal skills, including being a confident, effective presenter and meeting chair;
• Proven track record of developing strong relationships with key stakeholders and managing stakeholder expectations;
• Experienced in managing data, in using IT systems effectively, and confident learning new systems and processes
• Excellent IT skills, preferably with an advanced knowledge of Word, Excel and Powerpoint;
• Willingness to forego holidays during Academy time where necessary in favour of annual leave at other times of the year;
• Knowledge of the policing sector is desirable, but not essential;
• Full UK category B driving license would be advantageous but not essential.
What you’ll get from us
• A bright, airy, modern and buzzing office near Liverpool Street, Central London (Zone 1). Please note that during the Covid-19 pandemic, the role will be home based. Inductions will also be conducted virtually.
• A supported working from home set-up with the technology and equipment required.
• Competitive salary of £40,000 – £44,000 dependent on experience (plus £3,500 London Weighting where applicable)
• Flexible working.
• 27 days holiday each year plus bank holidays (pro rata).
• Sanctus coaching (private mental health coaching for the workplace).
• Access to the Vitality programme which includes healthcare benefits, an Employee Assistance Programme and discounts.
• Personal Development budget (after a qualifying period).
• Participation in a pension scheme (with 5% employer contributions and 3% employee contributions).
This job description is issued as a guideline. It is not exhaustive, and we would be pleased to discuss any constructive comments you may have. Due to the evolving nature and changing demands of our business this job description may be subject to change. You may, on occasions, be required to undertake additional or other duties within the context of this job description and according to the needs of the organisation.
Applications will be screened as they are received and invited to interview accordingly. Police Now reserves the right to close the advert prior to the advertised date, should a suitable applicant be appointed. Early applications are therefore encouraged.
Please note that some roles within Police Now require certain levels of National Security Vetting or screening in order to effectively work with our partners. Therefore, we may ask you to complete this if you are successful.
Closing Date: 31st March 2021
Telephone Interviews: 07 April – 14 April 2021
2nd round interviews (via Microsoft Teams): 19/20 April 2021
Final round interviews (via Microsoft Teams): 21/22/23 April 2021
- Address Flexible
- Salary Offer £40,000 - £44,000 dependent on experience (plus £3,500 London Weighting where applicable)