We are building a cadre of commercial talent in all Government departments; people who can manage our commercial portfolios, who can lead our most complex and novel programmes and projects, people who have the gravitas and depth of experience to work alongside our policy and operational leaders to develop innovative commercial arrangements, whether through joint ventures, outsourcing or best-in-class contracts.
The Government Commercial Organisation is an employer which is truly committed to creating a welcoming, inclusive workplace where all our people are able to bring their whole selves to work and are able to perform to their potential. We understand the importance of diversity and inclusion and strive for a workplace that reflects the communities which we serve. We especially welcome applications from underrepresented groups including Black, Asian and Minority Ethnic (BAME) candidates, candidates with a disability and candidates with gender-diverse identities. Appointments will be made on merit on the basis of fair and open competition.
We have already made significant progress through the establishment of the Government Commercial Organisation (GCO), our single employer of senior commercial talent across government. This role will sit within the GCO, but based in our MOD commercial team delivering departmental objectives.
Documentation for the Competitive Dialogue Process and the drafting and
completion of the final Contract Document set for Contract Award. The
post holder will be working with our Legal Partners and a diverse set of
stakeholders within Army, Navy and Air, the broader MOD and wider
Government. The post will have line management responsibility for 9 staff.
The Assistant Head AFRP Commercial will be a member of the Army
Commercial Senior Leadership Team and have responsibility for corporate
activity including Transformation of the Commercial Function and
supporting the Diversity and Inclusion workstreams in both Commercial
and Army HQ.. This post provides an excellent opportunity to build on your
existing skill set across a number of commercial disciplines and to raise
The Programme is currently in the Sourcing stage of procurement with the
Contract Tendering being undertaken as a Competitive Dialogue. Contract
award in expected in late 2022 with transition through to full contract
commencement in March 2024.
- Development of the Contract Document Set for the Competitive
Dialogue Process inc:
- – Drafting Key Contract T&Cs
- – Managing the Legal Team Drafting and guidance
- – Support the Competitive Dialogue Process
- Manage the development and implementation of best in class
commercial strategies for recruitment (service, software, marketing,
medical and physical assessment) helping to generate ideas for
securing better value for money;
- Support to AFRP requirements setting across all areas of the future
- Manage the procurement process from pre sourcing, through the
procurement process (expected to involve both ITN and ITT) to
contract mobilisation, with support into contract stabilisation also
- Understand and help manage the risk within procurement activities;
- Manage a small team to provide a full range of commercial advice and
support to AFRP;
- Contribute to the Army Commercial Senior Leadership Team, working
collaboratively to deliver the Army Commercial leadership objectives;
- Act as a mentor to Commercial and non-Commercial staff, helping to
lead team development events and master classes for non-commercial
We’ll assess you against these technical skills during the selection process:
- Commercial Focus – Experience of negotiating with multiple suppliers in a competitive approach to develop a contract that meets customer requirements, embraces supplier innovation and achieves VFM.
- Procurement Expertise – Experience of developing detailed contract strategies to meet customers’ exacting technical requirements, underpinned by an in-depth understanding of the fundamentals of procurement and commercial activity.
- Contract Management Expertise – Experience of contract management and developing contract management strategies.
- Builds Relationships – Ability to work collaboratively as a member of a larger team, able to secure the confidence and build strong working relationships.
- Managing Complexity – Significant experience in managing complex procurement projects in the public sector and the development of commercial teams.
- Communication – Excellent communication and relationship management skills, able to effectively relate commercial information to non-specialist audiences, both on a 1:2:1 basis with senior officers and in large forums.
Closing Date: Sunday 21st February 2021
- Address Andover/Upavon – Post Covid flexible working will remain in place, a weekly / twice weekly on site presence is likely to be needed.
- Salary Offer £61,710 - £74,000 GCO Pension, GCO Terms- up to 15% performance-related-pay available on accreditation.