We are building a cadre of commercial talent in all Government departments; people who can manage our commercial portfolios, who can lead our most complex and novel programmes and projects, people who have the gravitas and depth of experience to work alongside our policy and operational leaders to develop innovative commercial arrangements, whether through joint ventures, outsourcing or best-in-class contracts.
The Government Commercial Organisation is an employer which is truly committed to creating a welcoming, inclusive workplace where all our people are able to bring their whole selves to work and are able to perform to their potential. We understand the importance of diversity and inclusion and strive for a workplace that reflects the communities which we serve. We especially welcome applications from underrepresented groups including Black, Asian and Minority Ethnic candidates, candidates with a disability and candidates with gender-diverse identities. Appointments will be made on merit on the basis of fair and open competition.
We have already made significant progress through the establishment of the Government Commercial Organisation (GCO), our single employer of senior commercial talent across government. This role will sit within the GCO, but based in our MOD commercial team delivering departmental objectives.
Your primary function will be the creation and delivery of commercial strategies for projects within an existing programme pipeline. That will provide a resilient and efficient infrastructure support across the MOD’s estate.
- Creative input to Procurement Strategies and develop commercial strategy and associated contracting strategy;
- Implement the preferred commercial option;
- Manage and develop a high performing team;
- Negotiate and place contracts;
- Amend and manage contracts and contract changes;
- Provide commercial advice and guidance as required;
- Ensure all commercial activity represents best value for money;
- Ensure compliance with regulations and policy, as well as best practice;
- Exploit existing enabling arrangements where available;
- Maximise use of procurement enablers and associated MIS to improve procurement;
- Identify, Report and manage on all associated Risks and Issues across the business.
Relevant skills / experience needed
- Leadership of a small team of Commercial Managers and Commercial Officers;
- Must be able to deliver at pace within a complex stakeholder environment;
- Ability to identify areas for improvement and drive change.
We’ll assess you against these technical skills during the selection process:
- Decisive – Ability to identify areas for improvement and drive change.
- Commercial Focus – Must be able to deliver at pace within a complex stakeholder environment.
- Builds Relationships – Good communications skills the ability to influence stakeholders.
- Coaching Manager – Leadership of a small team of Commercial Managers and Commercial Officers.
- Strategy and Policy Development – Creative input to Procurement Strategies and develop commercial strategy and associated contracting strategy.
- Address Andover, Glasgow, Whittington, UK
- Salary Offer £61,710 - £74,000