Building a strong Commercial Function in Government, and with it the right commercial capability, is at the heart of a far-reaching programme of Civil Service reform.
We are building a cadre of commercial talent in all Government departments; people who can manage our commercial portfolios, who can lead our most complex and novel programmes and projects, people who have the gravitas and depth of experience to work alongside our policy and operational leaders to develop innovative commercial arrangements, whether through joint ventures, outsourcing or best-in-class contracts.
The Government Commercial Organisation is an employer which is truly committed to creating a welcoming, inclusive workplace where all our people are able to bring their whole selves to work and are able to perform to their potential. We understand the importance of diversity and inclusion and strive for a workplace that reflects the communities which we serve. We especially welcome applications from underrepresented groups including Black, Asian and Minority Ethnic (BAME) candidates, candidates with a disability and candidates with gender-diverse identities. Appointments will be made on merit on the basis of fair and open competition.
We have already made significant progress through the establishment of the Government Commercial Organisation (GCO), our single employer of senior commercial talent across government. This role will sit within the GCO, but based in our HMRC commercial team delivering departmental objectives.
You will play a key role in managing our supply base effectively through the Locations Programme and beyond. Reporting directly to the Head of Commercial Contract Management you will be accountable for driving implementation and delivery of an effective supplier management programme of the largest programmes of this nature in government.
- Proactively support and develop the Property & FM Commercial Contract Management team providing direction and support to maximise capability, quality and productivity;
- Implement the strategic direction of HMRC contract management. Oversee production and delivery of transition and exit plans for the Property & FM category. You will track contractual obligations to deliver effective contractual outcomes, including quality, value, delivery, innovation and continuous improvement agendas;
- Provide assurance that the policies, procedures, action plans and initiatives for Commercial Contract Management and Supplier Relationship Management are adhered to consistently across Property & FM category and Estates working within the Supply Chain Assurance framework;
- Build and maintain key relationships across Estates promoting collaboration between operational areas, and commercial;
- Ensure an effective risk management framework is in place to map, manage and mitigate supply chain risk for your category pillar;
- Support the delivery of a Supplier Relationship Management programme for strategic suppliers within Property &FM category driving additional value (service, cost and risk) beyond that originally contracted.
Relevant skills / experience needed
- Strong and demonstrable experience of contract management at a senior level (significant experience in a similar role);
- Able to build and maintain effective customer and supplier relationships;
- Has a strong delivery focus, able to operate successfully and deliver within a challenging and complex environment;
- Good experience and knowledge of Construction, Property and FM;
- Strong negotiator, with a drive to deliver value for money and achieve excellent service from our suppliers.
We’ll assess you against these technical skills during the selection process:
- Manages Complexity – A strong delivery focus with the ability to operate successfully and deliver within a challenging and complex environment.
- Commercial Focus – Strong negotiator, with a drive to deliver value for money and achieve excellent service from our suppliers.
- Builds Relationships – Able to build and maintain effective customer and supplier relationships.
- Contract and Supply Management – Extensive experience of managing strategic suppliers.
Closing Date: Sunday 18th April 2021
- Address Nottingham, Manchester, London with travel to various locations.
- Salary Offer £70,176 - £96,909 GCO Pension, GCO Terms. Up to 15% performance-related-pay available on accreditation.