Are you as comfortable instantly both understanding the significance of what a Secretary of State is telling the House of Commons and how Holly Willoughby’s dress might soon be trending on Twitter? We are looking for someone who is keen, quick to learn, a good decision maker and who wants to be at the heart of digital storytelling for more than 40 major news sites in the UK.
You will be part of a team which will be at the centre of every newsroom around the country. If there’s a breaking story you’ll be working with news editors and reporters at the scene. If a big Covid announcement and press conference takes place you’ll be picking out the best lines and shaping the coverage across the country, including on our national websites. If a major TV series reaches a climax you’ll pick out the best lines and work with contacts to secure permission to use footage. Complex, demanding and fun. An excellent journalist with video skills and keen to learn is an ideal candidate. You’ll know exactly how to make a social video which will fly on Facebook and be up to date with the latest platforms.
This role is home based and we are therefore open to candidates based across the UK.
What will the role involve?
- To edit video to high standards, according to brand values and trending topics
- To be responsible for achieving video audience targets as part of a team
- To source and share video that gets readers talking, through excellent use of social media
- Turn around social media videos quickly which will sparkle on different platforms – spot opportunities which will go viral
- Excellent news sense to be able to leap onto the trending issues of the day
- To be able to liaise and communicate to key staff across Reach regionals in a professional manner
- To create compelling, original, shareable video-led stories for publication across our web, mobile, app and social platforms across our regional titles
- Use effective social searches and social media savvy to source video that gets readers talking and sharing our content
- Tell stories through video, writing engaging captions and headlines to get content read
- Utilising analytics to learn lessons and analyse what works
- Be a positive ambassador for video across the newsrooms
- Understand legal and copyright issues around sourcing, filming and publishing video
- This role includes weekend working, this will typically involve 1 weekend in every 4
Who are we looking for?
- NCTJ or equivalent journalism degree and knowledge of media law
- Good writing skills and experience writing professionally and accurately at pace
- Good decision maker
- An expert digital storyteller with an understanding of how to create engaging content
- Great social media savvy and experience of using social media platforms
- Ability to film and edit video on mobile, social and desktop web
- Demonstrable experience of usingPremiere Pro Adobe Creative Suite
- Understanding of SEO, search, social and digital audience behaviour
- Knowledge of and interest in news
- Experience and an understanding of digital publishing best practice, and high publishing standards
- Great communication skills, both written and verbal
- Excellent attention to detail
- Self-motivated and able to take instruction as well as manage own workload efficiently
- Ability to work well as part of a team and take responsibility for hitting targets and working accurately
- Flexible approach to shifts, with the ability to work early and late shifts, including weekends
- Deep knowledge of media law
What can we offer you?
We are offering a competitive salary and benefits including;
- Help saving for your retirement – join our pension scheme and we’ll match contributions up to 6%
- 25 days’ holiday per year when you join. After three, five and ten years’ service with Reach, you’ll accrue one additional day of annual leave. We also have a Holiday Purchase Scheme
- Giving back day – an additional day’s leave each year to support a cause close to your heart
- Enhanced family leave – including maternity, paternity and adoption – and you’ll be eligible after just six months’ employment
- Private Healthcare Cash Plan – free health cash plan so you can claim back cash for a range of medical expenses
- As one of the UK’s top 50 Inclusive Employers everyone’s invited to join our events, programmes and networks to celebrate diversity and build an environment where all our people can thrive
- Wellbeing support – including a 24/7 assistance programme for you and your nearest and dearest, a free subscription to mindfulness app Headspace and access to free mental health coaching through Sanctus
- Awesome career opportunities – you’ll have support from your line manager and a range of learning & development programmes
- We are also a member of the 30% Club, a global campaign aimed at increasing gender diversity at board and senior management levels
Reach plc believes diversity brings benefits for our customers, our business and our people. This is why we are committed to being an inclusive employer and encourage applications from all suitable applicants irrespective of background, circumstances, age, disability, gender identity, ethnicity, religion or belief and sexual orientation.