It is a really exciting time to join the Reach family. Due to our sustained growth and our ambitious future growth plans, we are now looking for a Reporter to join us at Wales Online.
This role exists to find and report on the stories and issues which matter to WalesOnline readers in a way which ensures as many people as possible discover and respond to our work. You will be working on one of the UK’s best, biggest and fastest-growing regional news websites. We are looking for journalists who are curious to find out what’s going on down their street, who find time to listen to conversations and ask what they can add, and who believe journalism does its best when it is read by as many people as possible. You’ll want to write stories which make people come back to our site time and again, and be as comfortable picking up a breaking live blog as you are spending time off diary on that story which is really worth it. We’re looking for fresh ideas and new perspectives from people from a wide range of backgrounds, and we want you to tell us the stories you believe are important from our many communities so we can continue to diversify our content.
This role will be part home based and part based in our Cardiff office.
So, who are we?
Hello, we are Reach! You might not have heard of us but we have probably met without you even realising it. We are home to the UK and Ireland’s most iconic digital platforms, magazines and newspapers. From the Mirror, Daily Express and OK!, to our regional titles such as the Liverpool Echo, BirminghamLive and the Manchester Evening News (plus lots more), our brands and the stories we cover are as varied as our people.
We help all kinds of people share experiences through our stories because we believe this is what makes us human. Oh, and we should probably also mention that with a monthly readership of 47 million people, Reach is the largest commercial publisher in the UK. At Reach, not only will you feel better understood
- Find and tell stories which engage as many readers as possible, and stories which will be of interest to local communities
- Build communities online and in real life to share stories with once published, and engage with readers about those stories
- Take your own steps to bring people to your stories, via social media and newsletters
- Tell stories in many different ways, including (but not limited to) real-time live blogs and broadcasts, articles, videos, audio and pictures
- Ensure every piece of content is thoroughly researched and balanced prior to publication, in accordance with the Editor’s Code of practice
- Act up or cover in other roles as and when required by the business
- Uphold Reach’s policy around diversity and inclusion and work to ensure our values around non discrimination are upheld in everything we publish.
The ideal candidate
- NCTJ or equivalent qualification
- Digital publishing skills – working a CMS, shooting video, taking pictures, presenting to camera
- You will love all things social media and use these skills to build audiences and communities, ensuring content in shared on social
- Creative and passionate about quality digital storytelling in local journalism
- Driving licence is preferable
- 25 days holiday per annum when you join. After three, five and ten years’ service with Reach, you’ll accrue one additional day of annual leave
- Enhanced Maternity, Partner and Shared Parental Leave benefits
- Contributory pension scheme
- Share save scheme
- Simply Health Cash Plan
- A brilliant induction and learning hub
- Holiday purchase scheme
- Technology purchase scheme
- Car purchase scheme
- Discounted gym membership
- Lots of high street discounts
- Huge focus on Diversity & Inclusion. We have launched 6 networks to drive diversity at work and an inclusive environment, and to give you a voice. We hold panel events with internal and external guest speakers, and provide some really useful resources.
- Huge focus on your wellbeing. Free wellbeing apps and confidential coaching support, with access to free healthcare advice and counselling (available to your
- and your immediate family members who live in the same household). Some services are available 24/7 via call and live chat.
- We are a FTSE 250 Company.We are a member of the 30% Club, a global campaign aimed at increasing gender diversity at board and senior management levels.